LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

How many recievers are better than Crabs in next years draft?

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by walker807:
Zero.

Crabtree was/is the best college WR I've ever seen. Dez Bryant is a stud, but I'm sticking with Crabtree. Hopefully, we can sign his dumb ass.

Did you just start watching college football? Crabtree may be the best since Calvin but he deffinately was not better than Calvin. The "best" college football WR ever does not fall to 10 period. He is a 15-25 pick next draft.

I said he was the best "college" WR I've ever seen. Calvin had nice college career, but it's nowhere in the realm of Crabtree's. I realize Calvin didn't have the luxury of playing in Texas Tech's spread offense, so I'm going off of what I saw.

Draft position doesn't tell the whole story either. Calvin was coming off an amazing offseaon and Crabtree couldn't even workout. Plus, when drafting, teams look at potential and how players' game transfers to the pros. I was making a statement about college.

I agree with you when it comes to the stats and I was taking the fact that Crabs played in a spread offense which greatly increases your stats, ie Alex Smith. What I would look at is if you were a college coach and you had the option between Calvin or Crabs (using the same playbook and same supporting cast) who would be the #1 guy. I would have to say it would be Calvin, who is Faster, Stronger and appears to have more desire. I cant think of one thing that Crabs does all that much better than Calvin.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Crabtree is by far and away better than every receiver in next year's draft
Originally posted by crzy:
Crabtree is by far and away better than every receiver in next year's draft

That is just dead wrong. He and Bryant aren't that far apart, in fact you'd find a lot of people who would rank DB ahead of $$$tree based on skillset. When you factor in this contract nonsense that isn't a snowballs chance in hell that $$$tree is taken before Bryant (if he somehow manages to end up back in the draft).

Also, Crabtree isn't better than Calvin in ANY facet of the game. CJ is stronger, bigger, faster, has better hands and actually loves the game and isn't a greedy b*****d. If CJ and $$$tree were in the same draft CJ would be taken first by EVERY SINGLE team in the league, hands down.
The only guy that I would rank up there with him is Bryant. The only thing that worries me about Crabtree is he has no 40 time. He got seperation in college as did guys like Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett and others, but would his speed allow him to in the pro's. Benn is a solid propect too but not at the level of Bryant and Crabs.
None are better, bryant is close.
All the WR drafted before # 10 in the first are better $$ wise.

[ Edited by highway49 on Sep 15, 2009 at 13:29:25 ]
Zero.

Crabtree was/is the best college WR I've ever seen. Dez Bryant is a stud, but I'm sticking with Crabtree. Hopefully, we can sign his dumb ass.

It has been proven talent alone cant win you sh!t in this league. Give me a character/team player, who's a stud and I bet we become a better team! At least 2 WRs get picked first, if Crapstump enters next year and what will he do then? LOL!!!!
Originally posted by pelos21:
Zero.

Did you just start watching college football? Crabtree may be the best since Calvin but he deffinately was not better than Calvin. The "best" college football WR ever does not fall to 10 period. He is a 15-25 pick next draft.

I said he was the best "college" WR I've ever seen. Calvin had nice college career, but it's nowhere in the realm of Crabtree's. I realize Calvin didn't have the luxury of playing in Texas Tech's spread offense, so I'm going off of what I saw.

Draft position doesn't tell the whole story either. Calvin was coming off an amazing offseaon and Crabtree couldn't even workout. Plus, when drafting, teams look at potential and how players' game transfers to the pros. I was making a statement about college.

Crabtree was playing in a favorable system and Calvin wasnt

Some people might say look at Crabtree's numbers and say it was because of the system but I can't think of another WR in the NFL besides Welker who has produced from Texas Tech. Might be a knock but my point is it's not like oh look, Texas tech is putting out high drafted WRs left and right because of the inflated stats.

To the OP, I remember a thread asking where would Crabtree have gone if guys like Fitz, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and some of the other top wrs in the game where in the same draft. Basically, most of us agreed only Calvin and possibly Andre would have gone higher so to answer the question I don't think anyone in this year's draft would be higher than him.
Dez Bryant runs ANGRY!
Zero.

Crabtree had some great college numbers but there is a difference between college play and Pro potential. Calvin and Larry were the best WR I ever saw in college. You knew just watching them, that they had potiental to be great. Crabtree still has questionable speed but I still believe he has a ton of potiental.

The truth in all this is that if Crabtree had signed before TC, we wouldn't even have this conversation. Dez who.

Larry and Calvin, yes. But they are totally different kind of receivers.

Raushaun Woods was good in college also.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Dez Bryant runs ANGRY!

Definitely. His hands can be suspect at times. That's why he reminds me of Terrell Owens, which isn't too bad at all. Crabtree reminds me of Boldin and still has really good hands.
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Wide Receivers:

1. Dez Bryant(Oklahoma State)
2. Arrelious Benn(Illinois)
3. Damian Williams(USC)
4. Brandon LaFell(LSU)
5. Marshawn Gilyard(CIncinnati)
6. Eric Decker(Minnesota)
7. Jordan Shipley(Texas)
8. Dezmon Briscoe(Kansas)
9. Demarlylius Thomas(Georgia Tech)
10. Bryan Anderson(Central Michigan)

Heres a list I borrowed from AB where does he rank on this list? Can we really land a 1st for him or is this class strong enough where we will have to settle for a 2nd? Thanks

I don't know whether or Julio Jones will come out next year but he is pretty good!
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Wide Receivers:

1. Dez Bryant(Oklahoma State)
2. Arrelious Benn(Illinois)
3. Damian Williams(USC)
4. Brandon LaFell(LSU)
5. Marshawn Gilyard(CIncinnati)
6. Eric Decker(Minnesota)
7. Jordan Shipley(Texas)
8. Dezmon Briscoe(Kansas)
9. Demarlylius Thomas(Georgia Tech)
10. Bryan Anderson(Central Michigan)

Heres a list I borrowed from AB where does he rank on this list? Can we really land a 1st for him or is this class strong enough where we will have to settle for a 2nd? Thanks

I don't know whether or Julio Jones will come out next year but he is pretty good!

nah julio is a sophmore right now.
HES A BEAST!!!!
Dez Bryant is physically a bit better, esp with his deep speed, but he doesn't have the mental aspect of the game down like Crabs.
Crabtree has the intangibles and always seemed to be open.
Bryant got popped a few times in a few big games and developed alligator arms, if you look at his stats vs ranked teams from last season, they were terrible, but he got his numbers when he raped poor teams.
Crabtree shined in the spotlight, and his only poor games were when he was hurt.

This season Bryant is playing a bit more mentally tough, but I think that is the biggest difference between the guys.

I also stand by my Crabs is more like Fitz and Dez is more like Andre Johnson comparison in playing style too.
Share 49ersWebzone