LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 195 users in the forums

Sanchez vs Stafford

I have serious questions about Stafford decision making though as he does not hesitate to throw the ball into coverage. But he´s got the arm but that isnt everything and to be honest im not that impressed with Stafford overall.

Would be nice to know how MadDog and Boomer rate these two players!

[ Edited by Icelandic49er on Feb 16, 2009 at 14:17:20 ]
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
I have serious questions about Stafford decision making though as he does not hesitate to throw the ball into coverage. But he´s got the arm but that isnt everything and to be honest im not that impressed with Stafford overall.

view their top draft boards
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Does anyone else feel that the comparison between these two QBs is very similar to how Ryan and Flacco were compared last year?

Yeah, good point.
Here is an earlier thread with a link to a statistical comparison between Stafford and Sanchez. Give the article a read.
I think the Niners are bluffing on their interest in a QB. I see a guy who can play ball control in this offense, and Hill should be able to handle this well.
I would prefer Sanchez over Stafford.
I dont personally know Mark Sanchez but i have a few friends that knew him since h.s, and there was a huge buzz around Mark here in CA when he was in Mission Viejo. He was the top HS qb and went to USC. The guy is a football player, he has the instincts and the desire to be a winner like a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and the work ethic to be the best. He can move well out of the pocket and has a nice tight accurate ball on the short to long pass. The guy will succeed, and be better than Leinart, Cassel, Booty, and win more games than Carson Palmer.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Knowing what I know about Mike Singletary, I think I would fall out of my chair if a QB was selected with the 10th pick, no matter who was available.

I just don't believe he will do it. I expect oline/dline/linebacker with the 10th selection.
Originally posted by adrenaline:

Stafford has the better arm, it's really strong. Sanchez has a nice arm too, but it's not rare. Stafford is a better athlete, but Sanchez isn't far behind. Stafford is a lot bigger and does a great job breaking out of sacks (a lot like Big Ben), I haven't seen that from Sanchez. Stafford has better mechanics and a much faster release. Sanchez gets sloppy and has what I consider a slow release. Stafford is great at reading the field and getting the ball out, and with his great release he drops backa dn the ball is out on time. He also doesn't need to see an open receiver to have the confidence to let it go knowing the receiver will come open before it gets there, which is a must in the NFL. Stafford has accuracy issues, especially on the long ball which he tends to overthrow, which is still better than the underthrows I saw on the Sanchez film.

So basically you have a big athletic QB in Stafford who reads defenses well and has a great release and elite arm strength but still has issues with his accuracy Vs. a guy in Sanchez who still has work to do in terms of mechanics and the mental aspect of the game.

To go along with this, Stafford has far more game experience than Sanchez.

I think Stafford is ready to come to the NFL and win games now, and I don't think he's going to get his spirit or confidence broken with a rough start for a bad team, he's pretty confident in his abilities.

Sanchez has never really experienced a rough time in term of performance and when that happens in the NFL I'm not sure what might happen, coule go any direction.

When you compare these guys to Matt Ryan however, it's not very close. The only question I had on Ryan was his football IQ because of some dumb choices I had seen him make in terms of clock managment and field general stuff, but he either fixed those, or I overstated them. Ryan was really an ideal prospect.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

Stafford has the better arm, it's really strong. Sanchez has a nice arm too, but it's not rare. Stafford is a better athlete, but Sanchez isn't far behind. Stafford is a lot bigger and does a great job breaking out of sacks (a lot like Big Ben), I haven't seen that from Sanchez. Stafford has better mechanics and a much faster release. Sanchez gets sloppy and has what I consider a slow release. Stafford is great at reading the field and getting the ball out, and with his great release he drops backa dn the ball is out on time. He also doesn't need to see an open receiver to have the confidence to let it go knowing the receiver will come open before it gets there, which is a must in the NFL. Stafford has accuracy issues, especially on the long ball which he tends to overthrow, which is still better than the underthrows I saw on the Sanchez film.

So basically you have a big athletic QB in Stafford who reads defenses well and has a great release and elite arm strength but still has issues with his accuracy Vs. a guy in Sanchez who still has work to do in terms of mechanics and the mental aspect of the game.

I think Stafford is ready to come to the NFL and win games now, and I don't think he's going to get his spirit or confidence broken with a rough start for a bad team, he's pretty confident in his abilities.

Sanchez has never really experienced a rough time in term of performance and when that happens in the NFL I'm not sure what might happen, coule go any direction.

When you compare these guys to Matt Ryan however, it's not very close. The only question I had on Ryan was his football IQ because of some dumb choices I had seen him make in terms of clock managment and field general stuff, but he either fixed those, or I overstated them. Ryan was really an ideal prospect.

I dont know where people get the idea that Sanchez has a slow release... Look at any scouting report on him and it will say the exact opposite. And its actually faster than Stafford's although Stafford has the stronger arm.

I dont know where people get the idea that Sanchez has a slow release... Look at any scouting report on him and it will say the exact opposite. And its actually faster than Stafford's although Stafford has the stronger arm.

It is certainly not faster than Staffords. Sanchez has a nice release at times, but when he's trying to throw a big ball on like a fly or a deep out he has to reach back and actually cocks his arm, it creates a hesitation in the throwing motion. It's similar to a catcher trying to pick of a guy at 2nd. Only the strongest catchers can pop and throw, most have to reach back.

It is certainly not faster than Staffords. Sanchez has a nice release at times, but when he's trying to throw a big ball on like a fly or a deep out he has to reach back and actually cocks his arm, it creates a hesitation in the throwing motion. It's similar to a catcher trying to pick of a guy at 2nd. Only the strongest catchers can pop and throw, most have to reach back.

Sorry buddy... I just checked all of the footage that I could find on sanchez, and there is no unnatural hesitation in his motion on deep balls.

And yes, I am maintaining that his delivery is actually quicker than Stafford's... Dont get me wrong - it certainly isn't an obvious difference, but Sanchez just has a lightning quick trigger (possibly at the expense of some arm strength).

Here is Scouts Inc.'s take: "Release 1 Very quick release with solid overall mechanics in his delivery. Gets rid of the ball quickly, particularly when needed on underneath throws. Shows strong hands and great ball control. Exceptional when it comes to pump-faking and pulling the ball back."

Sorry buddy... I just checked all of the footage that I could find on sanchez, and there is no unnatural hesitation in his motion on deep balls.

And yes, I am maintaining that his delivery is actually quicker than Stafford's... Dont get me wrong - it certainly isn't an obvious difference, but Sanchez just has a lightning quick trigger (possibly at the expense of some arm strength).

Here is Scouts Inc.'s take: "Release 1 Very quick release with solid overall mechanics in his delivery. Gets rid of the ball quickly, particularly when needed on underneath throws. Shows strong hands and great ball control. Exceptional when it comes to pump-faking and pulling the ball back."

Keep looking. It's there. The hesitation is at the back of the windup on long balls.

It's not as bad at say Leftwhich, but it is there.

Now like I said, on short stuff he looks pretty good on his release, but whne he needs to get a ball downfield he gets slower. But there are mechanical issues beyond his release I have problems with. He loses his mechanics at times and starts getting into bad habits like throwing off his back leg and such.

Stafford doesn't lose his mechanics as much, but he goes braindead at times.
I've seen them both play a number of times...and based on what I've seen, Stafford's the most NFL-ready. He's got a cannon for an arm, but can also make the touch pass. He has good mobility...and is pretty tough. He played for three years in the very tough SEC, so is battle-tested. He has been inconsistent at times, but good pro coaching can help him with that.

Sanchez is also a good QB...but, I don't think he's nearly as battle-tested as Stafford is. If I were drafting one of them, Stafford would be my first choice.
I would prefer Sanchez. I'm probably biased as a USC fan, but I've also just seen more of him. He does have only a year of starting experience, but I think he's well prepared.

Remember, Matt Cassell never started a game in college. His last start before taking over for the Patriots this year was in high school. That is obviously a rarity, but it shows that you don't have to have a ton of experience to be a good player.

That said, I don't think we'll take a QB in the 1st round.
As much as I do not trust 1 year sensations it definatly does not help that Sanchez is from USC. It seems like every year a QB from USC is getting drooled on by the media and then fails to deliver.
Share 49ersWebzone