There are 237 users in the forums

Yay Area's 2023 Mock Draft V1

2023 DRAFT

3 (compensatory pick for Robert Saleh) - Sedrick Van Pran, OC, Georgia. Athletic, high motor lineman. Perfect for zone blocking scheme.
3 (compensatory pick for Mike McDaniel) - Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M. Tall, lengthy corner with great ball skills, and excels in zone defense. Aggressive in run defense.
5 (f/MIA in exchange of Jeff Wilson Jr) - Jay Ward, S, LSU. Former corner with great ball skills and coverage skills. Very instinctive in zone coverage.
5 - Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon - Athletic and versatile lineman. At his best as a penetrating, pass rushing interior lineman.
5 (compensatory pick for DJ Jones) - Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn State. Ball-hawking safety amongst the leaders in interceptions last season. A bit of tweener that is at his best in zone coverage.
6 (compensatory pick for Arden Key) - Tyler Steen, OT, Pittsburg. Athletic, rangy tackle that needs to get stronger.
7 (f/DEN in Zakelj trade) - Ali Gaye, DE, LSU. Long, tall edge defender that showed inconsistent production. Needs to add strength.
7 - Jack Colletto, FE/TE, Oregon State. Versatile football player that has seen time as a wildcat QB, a FB, and a LB. Understudy for Kyle Juszczyk.
7 (compensatory pick for Raheem Mostert) - PJ Mustipher, DL, Penn State. Depth pickup. More a gap control, DJ Jones type lineman.

Other than drafting a center of the future, my main goal of this draft was to add needed depth and competition to the defensive line and secondary. It may seem like overkill, but along the defensive line Ebukam, Ridgeway, Hyder, Spence, Hurst, Givens, and Omenihu are all free agents. And in the secondary Moore, Verrett, Gipson, Moseley, and Ward are all free agents.
[ Edited by YayArea on Dec 30, 2022 at 4:29 PM ]
Nice work.
Nice
I like the draft ideology. Would like a decent all around tight end. One that won't tip our hand when we put them in the game. Right now we have Kittle and a good blocker but couldn't catch a cold in a room full of Co-vid patients and another who can catch but couldn't block my grandma with her walker. I really like Jack Colletto but Oregon State used him in so many different roles that he will behind the curve next year.
Originally posted by YayArea:
2023 DRAFT

3 (compensatory pick for Robert Saleh) - Sedrick Van Pran, OC, Georgia. Athletic, high motor lineman. Perfect for zone blocking scheme.
3 (compensatory pick for Mike McDaniel) - Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M. Tall, lengthy corner with great ball skills, and excels in zone defense. Aggressive in run defense.
5 (f/MIA in exchange of Jeff Wilson Jr) - Jay Ward, S, LSU. Former corner with great ball skills and coverage skills. Very instinctive in zone coverage.
5 - Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon - Athletic and versatile lineman. At his best as a penetrating, pass rushing interior lineman.
5 (compensatory pick for DJ Jones) - Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn State. Ball-hawking safety amongst the leaders in interceptions last season. A bit of tweener that is at his best in zone coverage.
6 (compensatory pick for Arden Key) - Tyler Steen, OT, Pittsburg. Athletic, rangy tackle that needs to get stronger.
7 (f/DEN in Zakelj trade) - Ali Gaye, DE, LSU. Long, tall edge defender that showed inconsistent production. Needs to add strength.
7 - Jack Colletto, FE/TE, Oregon State. Versatile football player that has seen time as a wildcat QB, a FB, and a LB. Understudy for Kyle Juszczyk.
7 (compensatory pick for Raheem Mostert) - PJ Mustipher, DL, Penn State. Depth pickup. More a gap control, DJ Jones type lineman.

Other than drafting a center of the future, my main goal of this draft was to add needed depth and competition to the defensive line and secondary. It may seem like overkill, but along the defensive line Ebukam, Ridgeway, Hyder, Spence, Hurst, Givens, and Omenihu are all free agents. And in the secondary Moore, Verrett, Gipson, Moseley, and Ward are all free agents.

I'd be more than happy with this.
Originally posted by YayArea:
2023 DRAFT

Very nice mock. Like how you addressed the needs on both sides of the LOS plus the skill positions. Only question I have is why two safeties? Like both of the prospects you chose but think the Niners could use one of those picks on a WR.
Appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback.
[ Edited by YayArea on Jan 3, 2023 at 6:19 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Very nice mock. Like how you addressed the needs on both sides of the LOS plus the skill positions. Only question I have is why two safeties? Like both of the prospects you chose but think the Niners could use one of those picks on a WR.

MBA, I decided to take two safeties for a couple reasons. First, I like both prospects a lot. Second, they are both versatile and can play nickelback, similar to Jimmy Ward. And third, as I mentioned in the original post, with Moore, Gipson, and Ward all being free agents, I think it is a decent idea to draft two safeties and let them compete. Of course, this is just a draft with no free agency. If either of those three or a different free agent is signed, that would change my approach in the draft.

Also, I am curious why you feel WR is a better option with one of those picks. Deebo, Aiyuk, McCloud are all back, and Jennings is a RFA and will most likely be back as well. If I were to adjust this draft, I would be more likely to follow @Rogue9er's suggestion of drafting a TE.
Share 49ersWebzone