LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

HBB Mock One

Here are my very early offseason thoughts.
  • 49ers resign Jauan Jennings, Tomlinson, Compton, McKivitz, D.J.Jones, Givens, Al-Shaair, Tarvarius Moore and some end-of-the-roster guys.
  • 49ers trade JimmyG & #61 to Steelers for #52 & #84 prior to the draft
  • 49ers sign Jacoby Brissett (QB), Tyrann Mathieu (S) and Jayron Kearse (CB)
  • Draft day trade sends #52 & #84 to Jaguars for #33
  • Not much 49ers can do with Dee Ford and McGlinchey contracts. McGlinchey will compete for the starter role rather than be a lock for it and I don't see either player on the 2023 roster.
  • Mack decides to return rather than retire

#33 Cameron Thomas (Edge)
#93 Jalen Tolbert (WR)
#132 Isaiah Likely (TE)
#171 Brian Robinson (RB)
#185 Ben Brown (OG)

QB: Lance/Brissett
RB: Juice/Mitchell/Sermon/Robinson
TE: Kittle/Woerner/Likely
WR: Deebo/Aiyuk/Jennings/Tolbert
OL: Williams/Tomlinson/Mack/Banks/McGlinchey/Moore/Compton/McKivitz/Skule/Brown
DL: Bosa/Kinlaw/Armstead/Omenihu/Jones/Givens/Thomas
LB: Warner/Greenlaw/Ebukam/Ford/Al-Shaair
DB: Moseley/Ward/Hufanga/Thomas/Lenoir/Moore/Mathieu/Kearse
ST: Gould/Wishnowsky/Pepper
[ Edited by hummbabybear on Feb 1, 2022 at 8:31 PM ]
I don't like that return for Jimmy. Giving back a late 2nd for a late 2nd and late 3rd is a lot like just getting a mid 3rd for him....
I wonder how Robinson would look in the offense, intriguing player to me but don't think they draft a RB too high this year. Tolbert is an interesting pick as well, I think at the beginning of the year I was looking at him but Jennings emergence makes him less a priority. Want a speedster for the o
Don't think the Niners have the luxury to trade away the few draft picks they have when they have roughly a third of the roster being free agents.

Like the Ben Brown pick, but not much else. Any draft for the Niners which doesn't address the needs within their secondary is missing the mark in my opinion, especially since this is a great draft for defensive backs.
A note on the secondary. I opted to let Verrett, Williams and Tartt depart in free agency. 49ers have been fairly conservative on free agent signing and Matthieu has flexibility to play a numbers of spots in the secondary. Kearse is a lengthy CB and the 49ers prefer length and a cheaper option. But otherwise they will rely on step improvement from their younger DBs Thomas, Lenoir and Hufanga, and hope that Moore come back from injury successfully. I don't see bringing in more rookie DBs at this point. With the Bosa and Deebo contracts upcoming, I don't see them spending all the JimmyG money this off-season. When Ford and McGlinchey come off the books they'll have more flexibility.
[ Edited by hummbabybear on Feb 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
A note on the secondary. I opted to let Verrett, Williams and Tartt depart in free agency. 49ers have been fairly conservative on free agent signing and Matthieu has flexibility to play a numbers of spots in the secondary. Kearse is a lengthy CB and the 49ers prefer length and a cheaper option. But otherwise they will rely on step improvement from their younger DBs Thomas, Lenoir and Hufanga, and hope that Moore come back from injury successfully. I don't see bringing in more rookie DBs at this point. With the Bosa and Deebo contracts upcoming, I don't see them spending all the JimmyG money this off-season. When Ford and McGlinchey come off the books they'll have more flexibility.

As long as Brian Robinson isn't miscast in the outside zone like Sermon seems to be I'm intrigued by that pick. The one element the RB room is lacking is a guy with some thump, which I think would be a major help un short yardage situations. I also like the idea of getting Bosa a long term pass rush tag team partner, whether Thomas or someone else.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I don't like that return for Jimmy. Giving back a late 2nd for a late 2nd and late 3rd is a lot like just getting a mid 3rd for him....

Same I think we at least get a solid second for Jimmy. Especially since this year's quarterback draft is complete trash.
Originally posted by fan49:
Same I think we at least get a solid second for Jimmy. Especially since this year's quarterback draft is complete trash.

I think I got more negative after how the last two offensive series of the final game went. Originally I've predicted a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.
Share 49ersWebzone