There are 243 users in the forums

Geek's Post-Trade for #3 Detailed Mock

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Draft:

JAX: Lawrence - QB | Obvious choice. If Urban can't get results, Baalke got Jimmy fartin' Tomsula on line 1.
NYJ: Wilson - QB | Exceptional QB and famous actor from the movie Cast Away.

49ers Picks and Trades:

R1: Justin Fields - QB - Ohio St. (via MIA thru HOU)
*Fields has all of the intangibles to start day 1 in Shanahan's scheme, and shows the 49ers evolving in their evaluation to find the right "QB of the future". He's got a rocket arm, good throwing motion, and evasive to extend plays and run for first downs. He will need to work on pro reads, but Shanahan can design the play calls to simplify the reads initially - bootlegs, pre-snap motions, zone reads, and a heavy dose of rushing. While ideally Shanahan wants Jimmy G to start in TC, his agent formally requests a trade leading up to the draft.

R2: Wyatt Davis - G - Ohio St.
*We double dip with Ohio St. picks in order to fortify the offensive line. RG has been a turnstile of a position ever since Shanahan took over. Davis already has chemistry with Fields, and fits nicely as an agile interior offensive lineman in the zone scheme. He's got impressive strength, but more importantly athleticism to be a day 1 starter. This allows Brunskill and McKivitz to be our 2 active utility lineman on gamedays. While I don't normally mock guards this high, but we now face Donald or Watt for at least 4 games a year, and likely more if we make the playoffs. It's time to fix it.

49ers trade Jimmy Garoppolo and 6th round pick for Patriots 2nd round pick.
*I'm a Jimmy G fan, but the time has come for him to reunite with his staff in NE. Thank you Jimmy for helping turn this franchise around.

R2: Ifeatu Melifonwu - CB - Clemson (via NE)
*Two reasons why CB is the pick here vs. EDGE. #1 - Moseley is the only CB with starting experience that's signed beyond 2021, and #2 - our 3 current projected starters are under 6 ft. Melifonwu is a boom or bust prospect with elite athletic ability and height, but needs to develop with his press and zone skills. We could seriously go EDGE here, but there's a lot of good EDGE players in FA for a stop gap - including Kerrigan, Griffen, and Okafor. I like the value of CB here vs. EDGE.

R3: Kenneth Gainwell - RB/WR - Memphis (comp)
*Shanahan wants an RB that can do it all - runner, blocker, receiver. Gainwell can do it all, but certainly don't compare him to Christian or Kamara. Gainwell gives Shanahan more "position-less" weapons on offense. He's not a day 1 starter, but he offers the upside that we wish we got from McKinnon when we signed him.

R4: Jaelon Darden - WR - Northern Texas
*With Bourne gone, we don't have any proven receivers outside of Samuel and Aiyuk. James is so/so, and Hurd/Jennings are unproven. Darden is an explosive slot receiver that could stretch the field on the outside if given more opportunities. The James-Darden dynamic will be a fun one to watch in training camp, but Darden offers great upside as a weapon with Fields under Center.

R5: Kary Vincent Jr - CB/NB/S - LSU
*With KW back on a 1 year deal, and Moseley likely our starter on the outside, we need depth at slot CB. Vincent, like KW, is an undersized DB but offers power and impact when on the field. I see him as a developmental NB with flex to potentially get snaps at safety. He's also likely to make an impact on ST. All in all, I'd feel better getting Vincent here to give us security entering 2022 offseason.

R5: Sean Beyer - TE - Iowa (via NO)
*No, I'm not projecting Beyer to be Kittle 2.0. But he was underutilized after getting the starting role, and projects well as a developmental #2 TE. He's got underrated athletic skills, and already shows good tape for his blocking ability. While the pick is a bit of a reach, I trust the 49ers with their TE scouting as Kittle, Dwelley, and even Kaden Smith have developed well in the league.

R5: Justin Hilliard - LB - Ohio St. (comp)
*This late in the draft you are going to be getting guys with injury histories or guys that are just raw coming in the league. And that's Hilliard to the T. However, he offers upside as a base down SAM, depth at WILL and MIKE, and projects as a strong ST ace. Candidly, I see much higher upside than Nzeocha ever had on our roster.

49ers trade 7th (via NYJ) for a 2022 6th round draft pick.

June 1st Signings (does not count towards comp calcs):

- Sign Alex Smith (QB, WFT) to a 1 year, $2.5M deal.
- Sign Ryan Kerrigan (DE, WFT) to a 1 year, incentive laden deal.
- Re-sign Ben Garland (C/G) to a 1 year deal.

Projected Depth Chart:

QB: Fields*/Smith*/Rosen
RB: Mostert/Wilson/Gainwell*
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Dwelley/Beyer* (PS: Woerner)

WR: Samuel/Hurd (PS: Jennings)
WR: Aiyuk/Sherfield*
WR: Darden*/James

LT: Williams (PS: Skule)
LG: Tomlinson
C: Mack*/Garland
RG: Davis*/Brunskill
RT: McGlinchey/McKivitz

DE: Kerrigan*/Ebukam*/Ford
DT: Armstead/Jones/Street
DT: Kinlaw/Kerr*
DE: Bosa/Willis

LB: Warner/Al-Shaair/Hilliard*
LB: Greenlaw/Flanningan-Flowers

CB: Verrett/Johnson (PS: Webster)
CB: Moseley/I. Melifonwu*
CB: Williams/Vincent*
FS: Ward/Moore
SS: Tartt/Wilson* (PS: O. Melifonwu)

ST: Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper
Love it! I think the best way to make JF's first season as smooth as possible is to protect him! I also love the Alex Smith. Not so high on Kerrigan with the cap space we would have after Jimmy and other available ERs

With releasing Jimmy, dont you think we can make bigger splashes with remaining FAs, like a CB & WR? That would be the whole point of releasing Garappolo.
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Mar 26, 2021 at 2:43 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Love it! I think the best way to make JF's first season as smooth as possible is to protect him! I also love the Alex Smith. Not so high on Kerrigan with the cap space we would have after Jimmy and other available ERs

With releasing Jimmy, dont you think we can make bigger splashes with remaining FAs, like a CB & WR? That would be the whole point of releasing Garappolo.

I'd use it to extend Warner, and keep the remaining amount to use as carry-over for the 2022 season. We may need to be more aggressive in FA next season due to the lack of first round picks in 2022 and 2023.
It's great, awesome job, only thing I'd change is WR in the 2nd ( hopefully Moore, Marshall or Moore ) then take an OL in the 4th ( Kendrick Green ) but great draft !
Originally posted by jersey49er:
It's great, awesome job, only thing I'd change is WR in the 2nd ( hopefully Moore, Marshall or Moore ) then take an OL in the 4th ( Kendrick Green ) but great draft !

I agree with Jersey on this one. There will be some great values at WR in the second and there should be some swing G/OT available in the fourth (Hainsey Notre Dame or Christiansen BYU). Love the Gainwell pick in the third. Either him or Michael Carter would make our backfield amazing.

Only concern I would have is not taking an edge rusher at all. Is Hilliard a pass rusher? I don't know enough about him to comment. Nice work.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I love everything about this. There's only one slight change I would make. At corner back in a second I'm taking Samuel. But that's not that big of a deal I would love this draft and I'd love to start him day one. We finally have a quarterback that can make every single throw. Sure he's going to have rookie mistakes but Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes and he can't make the throws that Fields can. And we probably have the best offensive line with Davis in 3rd
[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 26, 2021 at 9:54 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Thanks for the kind words all. Responses below.

Originally posted by jersey49er:

Thanks. I thought about WR in the 2nd, but we run 11 and 12 personnel formations quite a bit. I feel like that 2nd round WR will be heavily underutilized, especially with Samuel and Aiyuk returning to full health and another offseason of conditioning.

If we go OL in the 4th, then you have to be comfortable with Brunskill as the de facto starter at Right Guard. And while I love Brunskill's story, he's better position as a utility OL that can play ever single spot across the line if needed.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I agree with Jersey on this one. There will be some great values at WR in the second and there should be some swing G/OT available in the fourth (Hainsey Notre Dame or Christiansen BYU). Love the Gainwell pick in the third. Either him or Michael Carter would make our backfield amazing.

Only concern I would have is not taking an edge rusher at all. Is Hilliard a pass rusher? I don't know enough about him to comment. Nice work.

Hilliard is a gap shooting LBer, but not a proven pass rusher. Agree with the edge concern, but if we are going on our SB run, I'd love to get a Kerrigan or Griffen instead of a mid-round rookie. What's not to love about a Bosa, Kerrigan, Ebukam, and Willis/Ford combo at edge.

Originally posted by fan49:
I love everything about this. There's only one slight change I would make. At corner back in a second I'm taking Samuel. But that's not that big of a deal I would love this draft and I'd love to start him day one. We finally have a quarterback that can make every single throw. Sure he's going to have rookie mistakes but Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes and he can't make the throws that Fields can. And we probably have the best offensive line with Davis in 3rd

I am a fan of Samuel as well and seriously considered him as the selection, but he doesn't have a clear projection of his landing spot (outside or slot), undersized, and question his run support ability at the NFL level. Furthermore, while I think Samuel is more pro-ready today, Melifonwu is the better scheme fit assuming we maintain it with Ryans as our DC.
Much respect for the thought and time that went into this... funny enough I just did a mock on TDN and its fairly close..

Justin Fields
QB, Ohio State

Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

Paulson Adebo
CB, Stanford

Kenneth Gainwell
RB, Memphis

Alim McNeill
IDL, NC State

Kary Vincent Jr.
CB, LSU