Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 716 users in the forums

Geek's Post-Trade for #3 Detailed Mock

Love it! I think the best way to make JF's first season as smooth as possible is to protect him! I also love the Alex Smith. Not so high on Kerrigan with the cap space we would have after Jimmy and other available ERs

With releasing Jimmy, dont you think we can make bigger splashes with remaining FAs, like a CB & WR? That would be the whole point of releasing Garappolo.
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Mar 26, 2021 at 2:43 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,430
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Love it! I think the best way to make JF's first season as smooth as possible is to protect him! I also love the Alex Smith. Not so high on Kerrigan with the cap space we would have after Jimmy and other available ERs

With releasing Jimmy, dont you think we can make bigger splashes with remaining FAs, like a CB & WR? That would be the whole point of releasing Garappolo.

I'd use it to extend Warner, and keep the remaining amount to use as carry-over for the 2022 season. We may need to be more aggressive in FA next season due to the lack of first round picks in 2022 and 2023.
It's great, awesome job, only thing I'd change is WR in the 2nd ( hopefully Moore, Marshall or Moore ) then take an OL in the 4th ( Kendrick Green ) but great draft !
Originally posted by jersey49er:
It's great, awesome job, only thing I'd change is WR in the 2nd ( hopefully Moore, Marshall or Moore ) then take an OL in the 4th ( Kendrick Green ) but great draft !

I agree with Jersey on this one. There will be some great values at WR in the second and there should be some swing G/OT available in the fourth (Hainsey Notre Dame or Christiansen BYU). Love the Gainwell pick in the third. Either him or Michael Carter would make our backfield amazing.

Only concern I would have is not taking an edge rusher at all. Is Hilliard a pass rusher? I don't know enough about him to comment. Nice work.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,293
I love everything about this. There's only one slight change I would make. At corner back in a second I'm taking Samuel. But that's not that big of a deal I would love this draft and I'd love to start him day one. We finally have a quarterback that can make every single throw. Sure he's going to have rookie mistakes but Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes and he can't make the throws that Fields can. And we probably have the best offensive line with Davis in 3rd
[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 26, 2021 at 9:54 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,430
Thanks for the kind words all. Responses below.

Originally posted by jersey49er:
It's great, awesome job, only thing I'd change is WR in the 2nd ( hopefully Moore, Marshall or Moore ) then take an OL in the 4th ( Kendrick Green ) but great draft !

Thanks. I thought about WR in the 2nd, but we run 11 and 12 personnel formations quite a bit. I feel like that 2nd round WR will be heavily underutilized, especially with Samuel and Aiyuk returning to full health and another offseason of conditioning.

If we go OL in the 4th, then you have to be comfortable with Brunskill as the de facto starter at Right Guard. And while I love Brunskill's story, he's better position as a utility OL that can play ever single spot across the line if needed.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I agree with Jersey on this one. There will be some great values at WR in the second and there should be some swing G/OT available in the fourth (Hainsey Notre Dame or Christiansen BYU). Love the Gainwell pick in the third. Either him or Michael Carter would make our backfield amazing.

Only concern I would have is not taking an edge rusher at all. Is Hilliard a pass rusher? I don't know enough about him to comment. Nice work.

Hilliard is a gap shooting LBer, but not a proven pass rusher. Agree with the edge concern, but if we are going on our SB run, I'd love to get a Kerrigan or Griffen instead of a mid-round rookie. What's not to love about a Bosa, Kerrigan, Ebukam, and Willis/Ford combo at edge.

Originally posted by fan49:
I love everything about this. There's only one slight change I would make. At corner back in a second I'm taking Samuel. But that's not that big of a deal I would love this draft and I'd love to start him day one. We finally have a quarterback that can make every single throw. Sure he's going to have rookie mistakes but Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes and he can't make the throws that Fields can. And we probably have the best offensive line with Davis in 3rd

I am a fan of Samuel as well and seriously considered him as the selection, but he doesn't have a clear projection of his landing spot (outside or slot), undersized, and question his run support ability at the NFL level. Furthermore, while I think Samuel is more pro-ready today, Melifonwu is the better scheme fit assuming we maintain it with Ryans as our DC.
Much respect for the thought and time that went into this... funny enough I just did a mock on TDN and its fairly close..

3.
Justin Fields
QB, Ohio State

47.
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

86.
Paulson Adebo
CB, Stanford

117.
Kenneth Gainwell
RB, Memphis

135.
Alim McNeill
IDL, NC State

173.
Kary Vincent Jr.
CB, LSU

180.
Jaelon Darden
WR, North Texas

185.
Drake Jackson
IOL, Kentucky

Hope some semblence of our dream comes true
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone