LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers Mock Draft v2.0

I've increasingly become convinced there's a massive skills gap between after top ~12-15 players in this draft, particularly at 49ers positions of need: OL, WR, CB and DT. Given that, I think the 49ers would be well-served stand pat at #13 unless they get a trade offer to move 2-4 spots back that blows them away where they can still get a top WR (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs), OL (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas), CB (Henderson) or DL (Kinlaw). However, this draft is quite deep picks 15-75 and I do think the 49ers package #31 to pick up a 2nd and 3rd. Here's how I'd love for it to go down:

#13 Pick: WR Jerry Jeudy Alabama 6'1" 193 OR Ceedee Lamb Oklahoma 6'2" 198
I believe there will be a run on OLs with potentially all four top prospects, but certainly three, going in the top 12. It sounds like CJ Henderson is climbing and could go top 10, but likely doesn't get past Oakland at 12. Ultimately, if the draft breaks this way, Jeudy AND/OR Lamb should fall to the 49ers. I do think if Wirfs or Wills or even Thomas slide here, the 49ers could go OL, but the prospect of getting a true, elite #1 WR will be too enticing for Kyle Shanahan to pass up. I think Jeudy is the sounder prospect with a higher floor, but Lamb brings an innate playmaking ability that, pared with Deebo Samual and George Kittle, would be fun to watch. I don't think SF can go wrong with either of these guys, and I can see us having a top 5 offense next year if we get more firepower at WR.

49ers Trade Pick #31, #156 and RB Matt Breida to NY Jets for Pick #48, #68 and #120
The Jets badly need help at WR and OL. They should be in position to grab one of the top OTs in the draft at 11 but then they desperately need help for Sam Darnold on the outside. I expect them to make a move up to grab a top WR at 31 where someone like Brandon Aiuyk, Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims or Laviska Shenault should be waiting for them. Adding in Matt Breida - who becomes a perfect complement to Le'veon Bell - nets the 49ers pick #120 in the 4th round.

#48 Pick: OG/OC Lloyd Cushenberry LSU 6'3" 312 OR OT/OG Ezra Cleveland Boise St. 6'6" 310
I can see 49ers brass falling in love with Cushenberry; he's the type of guy you want to build a team around: team captain, workmanlike demeanor and helluva talent. By far the biggest position of need on the 49ers is the RG spot and Cushenberry can slot in there from day 1 and eventually supplant Weston Richburg at OC who - largely because of injuries - has not lived up to his contract. This pick would get interesting, however, if Cleveland is still on the board. He's an ultra athletic OT who will remind many around here of Joe Staley with the way he moves. The question becomes whether he can fill in at OG for a season or two. If the 49ers feel like he can, that becomes a very enticing pick because of his upside. I know many here will question the pick, saying we have Brunskill, but in my mind, he is an ideal fit at swing tackle. He's showed VERY well at both LT and RT and has real promise there. Meanwhhile, he got owned when he filled in at RG, so I don't think the 49ers would be serving themselves well this year relying on him as a starter on the inside of the line. That's why I think you take Cushenberry, plug him in and don't look back for another decade.

#68 Pick: CB Bryce Hall Virginia 6'1" 202 or Cameron Dantzler 6'2" 188
I'm a huge Bryce Hall fan. Injuries cost him a shot at the first round, but he's a Marcus Peters clone: not the fleetest of foot, but fantastic instincts and ball skills who is made to play in the 49es Cover-2 scheme. Dantzler, meanwhile, reminds me of an Akhello Witherspoon who's not afraid to play the run. He's long, smooth with quick feet and and a hard-nosed mentality to challenge WRs in man coverage and RBs out of the backfield. His 40 time at the combine cooled some interest, but, again, he seems like a fantastic fit for the 49ers scheme.

#120 Pick: DT DaVon Hamilton Ohio St. 6'4" 320 OR Rashard Lawrence LSU 6'2" 308
Looking over the 49ers roster, it's hard to say whether they need a true DT or a true DE more. Certainly Buckner's absence leaves a big talent gap on the inside, but the only true-to-form DEs on the roster are currently Bosa and Ford, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 49ers make a move for a speedier pass rusher like Jabari Zuniga from Florida or Curtis Weaver from Boise St. BUT, with Jullian Taylor and Ronald Blair questionable to start the season and DJ Jones and Solomon Thomas both entering contract years, the 49ers must solidify the interior. DaVon Hamilton is a massive human who led all DLs on the benchpress AND clocked in a 5.14 40 at 320 lbs. Yes, he only has one season as a starter under his belt, but he was ultra productive finishing with six sacks. I'm surprised, in a weak DT class, more people aren't talking about him as a Day 2 pick. Similarly, Rashard Lawerence out of LSU is built like a fire hydrant with 34" arms and massive hands and ran a 5.07 40 weighing in at 308 lbs. He's a disruptive penetrator with a dog mentality who's only beginning to scratch the surface of his potential and would be an awesome fit for SF.

#176 Pick: TE Dalton Keene Virginia Tech 6'4" 253
Keene is becoming my favorite TE prospect in the draft with shades of George Kittle. Keene is similar size (6'4" 253) and obliterated the combine, posting the best 20-yard shuttle, best broad jump and third fastest 3-cone drill, with a very respectable 4.71 40. Like Kittle, Keene was under-utilized in college and that's causing him to fly under the radar, but he's do-it-all type, who can catch, block and play fast in multiple positions. He seems like a perfect Swiss Army knife to back-up the best TE in the NFL.

#210 Pick: OL Ben Bartch St. John's 6'6" 309 or Alex Taylor S. Carolina St. 6'8" 308
If the 49ers do use a high pick on an OG, I would like to see them taking a flyer on a raw, high potential OT later in the draft. Bartch and Taylor are the two most exciting fits on Day 3. Bartch is a small-school prospect who was arguably the most impressive OLineman at the Senior Bowl. He has less than ideal length but moves exceptionally well and offers positional versatility as an OT or OG. Taylor is far more raw, but his length (> 36" arms) and athleticism (5.09 40 yard dash) are incredibly intriguing; Taylor has all the raw tooling to profile as a LT in the NFL.

#217 Pick: S Daniel Thomas Auburn 5'10" 215
Thomas started two years for Auburn and held up well as a leader in their secondary. He does a lot of things well but nothing great. He's a feisty competitor who should be an upgrade over Marcel Harris and could challenge for a starting spot once Tartt's contract runs out.

#245 Pick: BPA
[ Edited by mike86 on Apr 15, 2020 at 11:38 AM ]
ehhh. I'm on board with Hall at 68. Lucky to get Bartch at 110, let alone 210. The rest is underwhelming.
Originally posted by mike86:
I've increasingly become convinced there's a massive skills gap between after top ~12-15 players in this draft, particularly at 49ers positions of need: OL, WR, CB and DT. Given that, I think the 49ers would be well-served stand pat at #13 unless they get a trade offer to move 2-4 spots back that blows them away where they can still get a top WR (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs), OL (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas), CB (Henderson) or DL (Kinlaw). However, this draft is quite deep picks 15-75 and I do think the 49ers package #31 to pick up a 2nd and 3rd. Here's how I'd love for it to go down:

#13 Pick: WR Jerry Jeudy Alabama 6'1" 193 OR Ceedee Lamb Oklahoma 6'2" 198
I believe there will be a run on OLs with potentially all four top prospects, but certainly three, going in the top 12. It sounds like CJ Henderson is climbing and could go top 10, but likely doesn't get past Oakland at 12. Ultimately, if the draft breaks this way, Jeudy AND/OR Lamb should fall to the 49ers. I do think if Wirfs or Wills or even Thomas slide here, the 49ers could go OL, but the prospect of getting a true, elite #1 WR will be too enticing for Kyle Shanahan to pass up. I think Jeudy is the sounder prospect with a higher floor, but Lamb brings an innate playmaking ability that, pared with Deebo Samual and George Kittle, would be fun to watch. I don't think SF can go wrong with either of these guys, and I can see us having a top 5 offense next year if we get more firepower at WR.

49ers Trade Pick #31, #156 and RB Matt Breida to NY Jets for Pick #48, #68 and #120
The Jets badly need help at WR and OL. They should be in position to grab one of the top OTs in the draft at 11 but then they desperately need help for Sam Darnold on the outside. I expect them to make a move up to grab a top WR at 31 where someone like Brandon Aiuyk, Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims or Laviska Shenault should be waiting for them. Adding in Matt Breida - who becomes a perfect complement to Le'veon Bell - nets the 49ers pick #120 in the 4th round.

#48 Pick: OG/OC Lloyd Cushenberry LSU 6'3" 312 OR OT/OG Ezra Cleveland Boise St. 6'6" 310
I can see 49ers brass falling in love with Cushenberry; he's the type of guy you want to build a team around: team captain, workmanlike demeanor and helluva talent. By far the biggest position of need on the 49ers is the RG spot and Cushenberry can slot in there from day 1 and eventually supplant Weston Richburg at OC who - largely because of injuries - has not lived up to his contract. This pick would get interesting, however, if Cleveland is still on the board. He's an ultra athletic OT who will remind many around here of Joe Staley with the way he moves. The question becomes whether he can fill in at OG for a season or two. If the 49ers feel like he can, that becomes a very enticing pick because of his upside. I know many here will question the pick, saying we have Brunskill, but in my mind, he is an ideal fit at swing tackle. He's showed VERY well at both LT and RT and has real promise there. Meanwhhile, he got owned when he filled in at RG, so I don't think the 49ers would be serving themselves well this year relying on him as a starter on the inside of the line. That's why I think you take Cushenberry, plug him in and don't look back for another decade.

#68 Pick: CB Bryce Hall Virginia 6'1" 202 or Cameron Dantzler 6'2" 188
I'm a huge Bryce Hall fan. Injuries cost him a shot at the first round, but he's a Marcus Peters clone: not the fleetest of foot, but fantastic instincts and ball skills who is made to play in the 49es Cover-2 scheme. Dantzler, meanwhile, reminds me of an Akhello Witherspoon who's not afraid to play the run. He's long, smooth with quick feet and and a hard-nosed mentality to challenge WRs in man coverage and RBs out of the backfield. His 40 time at the combine cooled some interest, but, again, he seems like a fantastic fit for the 49ers scheme.

#120 Pick: DT DaVon Hamilton Ohio St. 6'4" 320 OR Rashard Lawrence LSU 6'2" 308
Looking over the 49ers roster, it's hard to say whether they need a true DT or a true DE more. Certainly Buckner's absence leaves a big talent gap on the inside, but the only true-to-form DEs on the roster are currently Bosa and Ford, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 49ers make a move for a speedier pass rusher like Jabari Zuniga from Florida or Curtis Weaver from Boise St. BUT, with Jullian Taylor and Ronald Blair questionable to start the season and DJ Jones and Solomon Thomas both entering contract years, the 49ers must solidify the interior. DaVon Hamilton is a massive human who led all DLs on the benchpress AND clocked in a 5.14 40 at 320 lbs. Yes, he only has one season as a starter under his belt, but he was ultra productive finishing with six sacks. I'm surprised, in a weak DT class, more people aren't talking about him as a Day 2 pick. Similarly, Rashard Lawerence out of LSU is built like a fire hydrant with 34" arms and massive hands and ran a 5.07 40 weighing in at 308 lbs. He's a disruptive penetrator with a dog mentality who's only beginning to scratch the surface of his potential and would be an awesome fit for SF.

#176 Pick: TE Dalton Keene Virginia Tech 6'4" 253
Keene is becoming my favorite TE prospect in the draft with shades of George Kittle. Keene is similar size (6'4" 253) and obliterated the combine, posting the best 20-yard shuttle, best broad jump and third fastest 3-cone drill, with a very respectable 4.71 40. Like Kittle, Keene was under-utilized in college and that's causing him to fly under the radar, but he's do-it-all type, who can catch, block and play fast in multiple positions. He seems like a perfect Swiss Army knife to back-up the best TE in the NFL.

#210 Pick: OL Ben Bartch St. John's 6'6" 309 or Alex Taylor S. Carolina St. 6'8" 308
If the 49ers do use a high pick on an OG, I would like to see them taking a flyer on a raw, high potential OT later in the draft. Bartch and Taylor are the two most exciting fits on Day 3. Bartch is a small-school prospect who was arguably the most impressive OLineman at the Senior Bowl. He has less than ideal length but moves exceptionally well and offers positional versatility as an OT or OG. Taylor is far more raw, but his length (> 36" arms) and athleticism (5.09 40 yard dash) are incredibly intriguing; Taylor has all the raw tooling to profile as a LT in the NFL.

#217 Pick: S Daniel Thomas Auburn 5'10" 215
Thomas started two years for Auburn and held up well as a leader in their secondary. He does a lot of things well but nothing great. He's a feisty competitor who should be an upgrade over Marcel Harris and could challenge for a starting spot once Tartt's contract runs out.

#245 Pick: BPA

I was going to do a mock draft and you have the same scenarios for the first three picks and I will pick those three players as well. Nicely done
Share 49ersWebzone