• Veteran
Summary for lazy people:
Round 1 – Nick Bosa EDGE Ohio ST
Round 2 – Parris Campbell WR Ohio ST
Round 3 – Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson
Round 4 – Max Scharping OT NIU
Round 6 – Josh Oliver TE San Jose ST
Round 6 – Sione Takitaki LB BYU

Alright, it's probably not that funky fresh, but I got to dress it up for the zone. I've been super busy with work and stuff the last few weeks. I was a little bummed to miss out on the Webzone mock draft thing, it was a lot of fun last year. Anyways, today was slow, so I've been looking at the draft a bit. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on what I'd like to happen for our draft.

Lengthy Analysis - Come at me if you disagree (Just kidding, I'm sensitive so be nice)

Round 1 – Nick Bosa EDGE Ohio ST

Unless some crazy trade gets offered, this pick makes too much sense. Nick Bosa is solid and we know exactly what we are getting. He was bred and raised to be an NFL monster. At worst he's a solid starter from day 1 and at best he has the potential to be a complete game-wrecker. Ford - Thomas - Buckner - Bosa. That's going to be a hard lineup to block on passing downs.

Up until a few weeks ago I've been advocating for Quinnen Williams for the first pick. I will concede that Bosa makes more sense with the current roster. As much as we can guess that Q Williams could turn into Aaron Donald, there is only one Aaron Donald. Solomon Thomas was getting Aaron Donald comparisons during the draft as well if y'all forgot. JohnnyDel has me excited in the potential of Solly inside with a formidable edge rush and I'm confident in our Dline with Bosa.

Round 2 – Parris Campbell WR Ohio ST

I think everyone is sleeping on this dude and we may even have to move up a bit to get him, but we need him. It's no secret that the front office went hard after Odell Beckham, a 5'11" 198 lb receiver. We are looking for a number 1 receiver, and you don't have to limit your options by assuming the receiver has to be 6'4"+ or something. It's pathetic the giants didn't even give us a chance. Probably holding on to a 25+ year grudge with those teams from the 90's. If there is anything we know about Shanahan, we know he values speed. Height and strength are good traits to have, but speed is king. Since we weren't able to snag Odell, you know we will be targeting the most Odell like receiver in this draft, my man Parris Campbell.

People are knocking on his route running and height. Height is overrated, even in the redzone, when you are fast enough to spread everything out and you have Jimmy MF Garoppolo. In my opinion, Ohio ST didn't use him right. They only used him for the occasional go route, drags, and screens. Reminds me of the way Goodwin was misused before Shanahan got a hold of him.

He looks smooth to me on his cuts, and you know Shanahan and Welker will have his route running looking crisp. The way he moves reminds me of OBJ and he has the ability to take a short catch to the house on every play. Those safeties are going to be nervous with Campbell's 4.31 speed on one side and Goodwin's 4.27 on the other. Paired with our other receivers and speedy backfield, the offense will be ready to go. An explosive machine, just like Shanahan wants.
WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Round 3 – Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson

I think there are some good CB options for us in the 3rd. With all the injuries and an aging Sherman, I think it's good to add depth. I honestly don't think he'll last this long, and we may have to trade CJ BeatHard, someone else, or some picks to land him. I don't understand how he slipped all the way to 90 in the mock draft.

All Mullen did was win a National Championship, earn Defensive MVP with 6 tackles, a sack, an interception and a forced fumble to help shut down Alabama's offense in the second half of the title game. He's is perfect for our scheme. Dude has all the athletic ability you need. Has smooth feet. And is competitive as hell. Height, length, speed, etc.

Round 4 – Max Scharping OT NIU

Max Scharping would be a cool dude to have behind McGlinchey and Staley. Athletic tackle to mold into a replacement or backup. I think he can improve his body even more. I like the way he moves. I think we would still get a Tackle early in the draft next year or the year after that to replace Joe Staley, but I think this guy is worth a shot. I think we value this type of athletic tackle more than other teams, hoping he falls.

Round 6 – Josh Oliver TE San Jose ST

Needs to improve blocking supposedly. He didn't look all that bad to me for college. I see a lot of potential and they have way too many TE's going early. I bet some of them fall. I'm not sure if he'd be around this late, but in the 5th or something. Definitely worth a mid round pick. Paired with Kittle, could be pretty special in 2 TE sets.

Round 6 – Sione Takitaki LB BYU

Similar to Fred Warner last year, this dude did everything for a mediocre BYU team. He played DE, ILB, and was surprisingly good in coverage. Is athletic, strong, quick, and Polynesian. Would be ideal because he can play SAM, rush the passer as a freaking DE, but he can also back up Will or Mike and play special teams.

Also, I looked it up and our Superbowl teams always had multiple BYU guys.

We always had 2+ cougars between Steve Young, Bart Oates, Tom Holmoe, Todd Shell, Bill Ring, Jamal Willis, and Tim Hanshaw. Those F***** Mormons seem to be good luck. Adding Takitaki only makes sense.

Post Draft Roster (53 plus 4 guys for injury/stashing) 53+3 Man Roster:

Offense – 25 + 2
3) QB: Jimmy Garoppolo / Nick Mullens / CJ Beathard
4) RB: Jerick McKinnon / Tevin Coleman / Matt Breida / Raheem Mostert
4) FB/ TE: Kyle Juszczyk / George Kittle / Garrett Celek / Josh Oliver
7) WR: Marquise Goodwin / Dante Pettis / Parris Campbell / Trent Taylor / Kendrick Bourne / Jordan Matthews / Richie James
4) OT: Joe Staley / Mike McGlinchey / Max Scharping / Shon Coleman
5) G/C: Weston Richburg / Mike Person / Lakin Tomlinson / Joshua Garnett / Erik Magnuson

Defense – 25 + 2
10) DL – Deforest Buckner / Dee Ford / Nick Bosa / Solomon Thomas / DJ Jones / Arik Armstead / Kentavius Street / Jullian Taylor / Sheldon Day / Ronald Blair
6) LB: Kwon Alexander / Fred Warner / Malcolm Smith / Sione Takitaki / Mark Nzeocha / David Mayo
11) DB: Richard Sherman / Jaquiski Tartt / Ahkello Witherspoon / Trayvon Mullen / K'Waun Williams / Jimmie Ward / Adrian Colbert / Jason Verrett / Tarvius Moore / DJ Reed / Marcell Harris

SP Teams – 3
Robbie Gould
Punter guy
Snapper guy
[ Edited by Moses on Apr 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM ]
Nice mock
I can rock with this I love Parris Campbell too but I was hoping we could get him in the third before the combine blew that up!
Very good stuff. Realistic and got value at pretty much every single pick.
Agree with the compliments. Like Bosa, Campbell, Scharping and where you take TE and LB. I think the team has enough CBs.
  • Moses
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Agree with the compliments. Like Bosa, Campbell, Scharping and where you take TE and LB. I think the team has enough CBs.
I see what you're saying about the CB's. I just feel like we are a Sherman and Tartt injury away from struggling a bit in the secondary. Recent history says that at least one CB and S will probably miss most of the season. I think it makes sense to get a guy like Mullen and have options. He's a scheme fit and would be great for depth.
  • Moses
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Its49ers4Life:
I can rock with this I love Parris Campbell too but I was hoping we could get him in the third before the combine blew that up!
Thanks. I thought about snagging Greedy Williams in the 2nd and Parris Campbell in the 3rd, but it felt a bit too optimistic. Why can't we just have all the picks?

They should let teams buy a draft pick for $10 million in cap space at the end of the 1st round or something. haha.
  • Moses
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock

Thanks
Thanks for detailed writeup on each player. Nice mock.
Share 49ersWebzone