There are 157 users in the forums

Lobo's 2019 Mock

It's April 25th, in Nashville, and all of us Niner fans just cheered for the Cardinals drafting Kyler Murray #1 overall (of course, this means having two Midgets in our Division .. Fuuuuuuuu). But for NOW, we love it!

We take some calls to trade down, but no offers are made that we find valuable enough to risk losing out on our favorite player in the draft.

The usual:
  1. My choices are heavily influenced by SPARQ scores. I feel we can comfortably make the assertion that "elite traits" are highly valued. The % given is how athletic they are with respect to others in the NFL at their position. 50% would mean they are average (this is the NFL, so that's pretty darn good). They must have production though. I'm not just drafting athletes. However, athleticism played a major role in who I went after.
  2. Defense is getting more (quality and quantity) picks than the Offense (Defense 4; Offense 2). We trust Kyle to do "more with less"; Saleh needs more talent.
  3. We're never drafting any offensive lineman from USC ever again. Ever.

New to my draft algorithm:
  1. Injuries – I don't care about them. (They don't, so I won't),

1-2 Nick Bosa, Edge, Ohio State 6'4" 266lbs. There are two Elite players in this draft. We're guaranteed to get one of them. When presented with the choice between the top two players in the draft, need and positional value are some of the factors used to choose. Q is a stud and I'd love him to be a 49er, but Bosa is also an elite prospect (same Tier as Q), at a position of need and value. The choice is pretty clear.

SPARQ: 69.8 PFF: 93.1 on 113 snaps Injury History? Yup.

2-36 Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina 5'11" 214lbs. Butler is gone. Risner is gone. – but Deebo was always Kyle's favorite player in the draft anyway. He. Gets. Open. And he jumps – 39" vert. And he's fast – 4.48 40, and agile, and quick, and explosive, and he catches TDs. And Team Captain of the Shanahan-coached South squad at the Senior Bowl where he had a tremendous week, and private visit, and attitude. It's too obvious a pick. I feel no shame mocking it.

SPARQ: 92.6 PFF: 83.3 on 652 snaps Injury History? Yup.

3-67 Darnell Savage, FS, Maryland 5'11" 199lbs. Two years in a row we use our third round draft pick on an athletic rangy play-making safety that runs a 40 in the 4.3s. But this year we draft him to play …wait for it…Safety. And, yes, his last name may have played a factor in me wanting him.

SPARQ: 90.8 PFF: 85.1 on 681 snaps Injury History? Nope.

4-104 Jamel Dean, CB, Auburn 6'1" 206lbs. He broke the combine. 4.30 40 (1.5 10yd), 41.0" vert, 130 broad, 7.02 3 cone, 4.19 short shuttle. So how does an athletic freak with decent tape fall this low? Easy: He's had three major knee surgeries dating back to high school.

SPARQ: 98.5 PFF: 80.8 on 589 snaps Injury History? Lol yes.

6-176 Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota 6'1" 237lbs. He's short and has short arms and small hands. Here's MD's thoughts on the guy: "Been watching LBs heavily this week, and after every session, I end up comparing each of these guys to Cashman's playing speed. If there is a faster on-the-field backer in this draft, I'd like to see it, because Cashman runs at a different clip than others…. I'll be honest. I have four backers side by side at the top of my board: White, Bush, Cashman and Tranquil. Cashman might be the best of them all. He is the perfect, new generation LB: plays all three downs, can run like a safety, line him up on WRs in the slot. This dude is a flat out stud. I am sold." Well, I'm sold. So how is he this low? Oh that's right: Had surgery on both shoulders last season. Has had 3 surgeries in the last 12 months.

SPARQ: 90.9 PFF: 90.5 on 693 snaps Injury History? Lol yes.

6-212 Ryan Bates, OG/OC/SwingOT, Penn St. 6'4" 306lbs. Tackle in college – Guard in the Pros. Can move. Probably PSU's best offensive lineman since becoming a starter in 2016.

SPARQ: 68.2 PFF: 81.0 on 879 snaps Injury History? Not really.

Summary:

1-2 Nick Bosa, Edge, Ohio State
2-36 Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
3-67 Darnell Savage, FS, Maryland
4-104 Jamel Dean, CB, Auburn
6-176 Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota
6-212 Ryan Bates, OG/OC/SwingOT, Penn St.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Mar 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM ]
I came in to yell at you but we cool this year
Originally posted by genus49:
I came in to yell at you but we cool this year

Big fan of your 1st 3 picks
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Big fan of your 1st 3 picks

You should Had to double check. You started the threads for my 2nd round and 3rd round picks, and you probably have the highest post count in my 1st round pick's thread. I didn't go into the mock thinking these would be my first 3. I reallly like Layne, Thornhill, and others, but couldn't fit them in. This just made sense to me.

Plus all the injuries didn't hurt. DAD JOKE.
Got the same 1st 3 picks in my mock, 👍🏻👍🏻
I like it!
I like the mock
If these players are healthy, that is a really good draft. I think Baalke would love it. One question I do have for you or MD. How do Germaine Pratt and Blake Cashman compare?
[ Edited by YayArea on Mar 25, 2019 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by YayArea:
If these players are healthy, that is a really good draft. I think Baalke would love it. One question I do have for you or MD. How do Germaine Pratt and Blake Cashman compare?

Baalke approves.

If the draft unfolded this way, I'd be a happy camper, especially with the first three picks.
I think it's pretty realistic and definitely would be happy with this. good job, Lobo!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Same thing here. I like the draft, but pr is not such a need now. And qw would make the biggest impact on the line now.
[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 26, 2019 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Same thing here. I like the draft, but pr is not such a need now. And qw would make the biggest impact on the line now.

I disagree about edge not being a need.

Ford——Buckner——Solly——WhoPlaysHere?
Originally posted by fan49:

Not a need? How so?
Share 49ersWebzone