There are 176 users in the forums

Quest4Six's mock

Usually I do a big write up with these, but its somewhat early so I am just going to list who I want and why I did not choose to go with the other prospects.
Obviously, some of you are going to disagree with my opinion, this is a working mock so feel free to voice some input.

First off, lets get the obvious need out of the way.

Pass rush-
1.) I don't care what anyone says, if we don't land Bosa the next best edge rusher in this draft is Josh Allen and its not even close. Allen is quicker off the ball, has more natural bend, and has so many tools in his arsenal of pass rushing that he is going to be successful at the next level.
I was torn between Ferrell and Sweat here, Polite didn't make the cut because I doubt he is a top 10 pick.

Ferrell- solid athlete, and ideal body size and hand usage. But the dude is stiff. Doesn't sink his hips and lead with his shoulder like you would want him to. No natural bend and is often pushed off by stronger lineman (which there will be plenty of in the NFL). I'm not going to chalk him up to a bust, but he is not ready for the NFL.
Sweat- Even less ready for the NFL than Ferrell. Don't get me wrong, he has the physical tools (including length), but he is lacking a lot of things I would want to see if I am spending a top 5 pick on him. He is somewhat taller and I feel like his height and length make it harder for him to bend around tackles. Is not explosive out of his stance like Allen, and tends to stand upright very quickly. He is going to need to learn to play with leverage and bend for him to be successful in the next level.

Pick 1-
Josh Allen, DE, Kentucky

Best pass rusher not named Bosa right there. Bend, tools, speed, explosiveness. He has it all. Tough against the run, and quick to get in the backfield. This guy is the second best edge rusher in the draft.

2.) Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

I want a corner with good size, quickness, anticipation, and explosiveness. This guy is it right here. Great hip work, watched a game of his against Michigan where he was constantly matching the speed of the WR down the sidelines after 2-3 steps out of his rotation.
This guy sinks his hips low in coverage, and explodes out of them when needed. He isn't the fastest guy on the field, but he is quick and at 6'1 I will take that in our scheme. He might sneak into the first round after the combine, but right now I expect him to be there after the first.

3.) Jamarius Way, WR, South Alabama

This guy right here is my steal of the draft. A great big bodied (6'3 220) WR with amazing body control and HANDS. This guy rarely catches the ball with his body, and most games I have seen him play he is fighting for that ball while it is in the air with his body AND hands. Runs some solid routes, occasionally will round them off but I attribute that to bad coaching and some iffy QB play.

4.) Shaquille Quarterman, ILB, Miami

Started as a true freshman for Miami, and is a focal point of their defense. AMAZING instincts and hits hard. One thing that stood out to me on his tape is that he does not spend a lot of time dancing around lineman or blockers while in pursuit. He is very quick to read a play and make his decision from there. This guy is a tackling machine, and you can tell he has the rare ability to wind up where the ball is. Not sure how he does it, but he is typically the one on this team making a tackle. He may not start right away, but he is going to be a solid contributor if he winds up here in 1-2 years. Really excited about this guy.

5.) Alex Bars, OG, Notre Dame

Rounding out my mock is Alex Bars. He has played both tackle and guard for the fighting Irish. Love the length and quickness on him. He is an excellent run defender, is not afraid to chase down and take out a linebacker or swing out for a screen pass. He is going to need some time to develop and has some knee concerns, but the size and athleticism for our scheme is there.

Like I said earlier, this is just a rough draft... But I am very high on these players.

<iframe src='//gifs.com/embed/josh-allen-Q03LPZ' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='640px' height='360px' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);' ></iframe>
[ Edited by Quest4six on Dec 28, 2018 at 9:20 PM ]
You drafted Bars so automatic A from me lol.

But seriously you gotta hope we trade down it draft QW. No problem with you thinking Allen is the next best edge rusher but it would sting having to pick him at 2.

Rest of the draft seems well thought out as well. Good job!
Nice mock. Really like Josh Allen especially if we get to coach him in Senior Bowl
I can dig this draft give u a solid B+ only thing I'd like to change is tha Bars pick I really think we need to find out next LT in this draft ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I can dig this draft give u a solid B+ only thing I'd like to change is tha Bars pick I really think we need to find out next LT in this draft ...

gtfo lol

Bars has experience at tackle. I think we can skate by with getting another year from Staley.
Also just assume we got a solid tackle in FA
Love the Allen pick, unsure about the PSU CB so I can't comment on a player idk of, same for the WR in the 3rd, love the Quarterman pick and Bars pick as well, nice Mock and ty, going to do some home work of the WR Way now lol
but you won't find starting LTs in round 5 very often.
Best and most realistic mock I have seen. All of those picks will make an impact in year one if selected by Niners (except maybe bars until he is completely recovered from injury). In fact, your 3 defensive picks could be starting by week 1.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I would love this outcome

Originally posted by pickle:
Best and most realistic mock I have seen. All of those picks will make an impact in year one if selected by Niners (except maybe bars until he is completely recovered from injury). In fact, your 3 defensive picks could be starting by week 1.

Thank you, that is what I was going for. I think we are very close to being a serious title contender, and I wanted to find picks who would help us get there sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by fan49:
I would love this outcome

Same
Share 49ersWebzone