CB- Greg Mabin
SS- Jaquiski Tartt CUT
DE- Solomon Thomas CUT
CB- Pierre Garcon CUT
LB- Malcolm Smith CUT
DE- Cassius Marsh CUT
DT- Earl Mitchell CUT

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:

*We literally have nothing on D aside from Buckner, Sherman and Warner. Lynch is a defensive guy. I fully expect him to go all out to rebuild this D. We have loads of cap space and will look to replace the average starters we have with star players.

LB- CJ Mosely (BALT)
6'2, 250
26 years old
5 years, 60M
Mosely is one of the best all around linebackers in the game. He can rush the passer, drop into coverage and is a fantastic run stopper. But the biggest thing is he forces turnovers.

DE- Brandon Graham (PHI)
6'2, 265
30 years old
5 years, 80M
Smart, hard working and experienced veteran. We over-pay a bit but that's the price of DE's in free agency. Graham isn't a flashy pass rusher but he gets pressures and is stout vs the run.

FS- Adrian Amos (CHI)
6'0, 214
25 years old
5 years, 40M
8 mil a year for Amos? Yes. He is a fantastic safety and one of the leagues most under-rated players. He is smart and never makes a mistake which is something that has killed us this year. He will help shore up our leaky secondary and make an immediate impact.

S- Tyrann Mathieu (HOU)
5'9, 190
26 years old
5 years, 45M
Jaquiski Tartt just cannot stay healthy. We extended him but I think he will be cut. Mathieu is one of the leagues premier safeties. He creates turnovers which is what we desperately need.

CB- Bryce Callahan (CHI)
5'9, 190
27 years old
5 years, 35M
Callahan has turned into arguably the leagues best slot corner. I like K'wuann Williams but he is just another guy. If we want to improve our D we need to replace average players with star players.

NT- Danny Shelton (NE)
6'2, 345
25 years old
3 years, 15M
We replace an average Earl Mitchell with a young beast in Shelton. He will demand double teams on run downs freeing up our linebackers.

DRAFT 2019

1.1: DE- Nick Bosa
Ohio St
6'4, 265

2.33: CB- Trayvon Mullen
Clemson
6'1, 190

3.65: LB- D'Andre Walker
Georgia
6'3 245

4.96: TE- Jacob Breeland
Oregon
6'5, 245

6.160: FS- Jalen Young
Florida Atlantic
5'11, 185

7.193: CB- Jamal Peters
Mississippi State
6'2, 220

Defense:

5T- Brandon Graham
NT- Danny Shelton
3T- Deforest Buckner
LEO- Nick Bosa

WILL- Fred Warner
MIKE- CJ Mosely
SAM- D'Andre Walker

CB1- Richard Sherman
CB2- Trayvon Mullen
Nickle- Bryce Callahan
SS- Tyrann Mathieu
FS- Adrian Amos

Reserves:

DE- Arik Armstead
DE- Ronald Blair
DE- Kentavious Street
NT- DJ Jones

LB- Elijah Lee
LB- Brock Coyle
LB- Mark Nzeocha

CB- K'wuann Williams 
CB- Ahkello Witherspoon
CB- Tarvarious Moore
FS- DJ Reed
SS- Antone Exum
SS- Marcell Harris
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Dec 4, 2018 at 11:41 AM ]
You put a lot of thought into this draft and free-agency. I think it is a significant improvement over our current team.
Tartt and Thomas won't get cut, Mosely will get tagged or resigned but if not I'd love him next to Warner, 5 years for Graham and that price tag I'm against, would love the rest of the signings, and the draft is good, gotta do some homework on Mullens tho..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Tartt and Thomas won't get cut, Mosely will get tagged or resigned but if not I'd love him next to Warner, 5 years for Graham and that price tag I'm against, would love the rest of the signings, and the draft is good, gotta do some homework on Mullens tho..

Probably not but we best bring in a stud SS because Tartt just cannot stay healthy. And Thomas, meh. Who cares. Dude wont see the field next year when we draft Bosa.

Graham's play has actually improved year to year. He isn't declining. We have the money and lack of long term contracts to carry his deal even if he declines in years 4 and 5.

I'm not sure Baltimore has the money to re-sign Mosley. They will if they cut Flacco but they definatly wont have the room to franchise him.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Agree with all of this
Not bad SY. You're spending about $76M.

I like a lot of the players you targeted in FA and your rationale.

And you need to fill the ZWR spot. 92 QB hits through just 12 games is due to QB's processing slowly, the OL but also, a huge inability of our WR's to beat press and get open.
That's a lot of cheddar to burn in FA. I'm not against it but I don't see it happening.

No way Mosely leaves Baltimore.

You got $80 million tied up at S? Mathieu getting $45 million, good lord. Safeties aren't getting paid and I think that's a lot (you're paying them top 5 money for both). Wouldn't mind bringing in either but that's quite a bit.

Zero chance Thomas get's cut, it make no financial sense. Would love Graham, but you'd better make sure that's not really a 5 yr contract.
cutting Tartt and Thomas ...we just gave Marsh a 3(or 2 not 100% sure which)yr extension so dont think he'll go ...Graham no thanks to old ...After Foster I could see us keeping Smith 50/50 on caring if he stays or go's...so where is Day at ??? Dude is balling this yr showing promise should be in there more along with DJ ...4th rounder on a TE I dont get we need to get a future left tackle...u cut garcon but gave us no WR help ...why would we move warner when he has shown he can handle playing MLB ???
Pretty detailed, so this deserves some due attention. I agree with most of the cuts, but Thomas, Tartt, and Marsh stay.

There is NO waythey are cutting a guy they drafted 3rd overall after 2 seasons. Thomas will be here for 2019 and 2020. And because we should have multiple players that can play LEO, he should get all of his snaps at 5T and on the interior going forward.

Tartt IMO is a quality back up. I was never sold on him as the starter and until we get 3 guys that can play safety, he is here for the time being. And wasn't he just extended until 2020?

I think Marsh at least goes to training camp. Whatever happens afterwards is anyone's guess, they I do hope he is cut because we have 3 players that are better.

AA should be cut. 9 million for a backup? Gotta go. Hoping that Thomas, Blair, and Street hold down AA's spot next year. We have a surplus at this position anyway. Time to unload some guys. If we are lucky, AA can be moved for a draft pick.

Free agency, wow. You really went in. I like most of the signings, but if they spent that much money, that has to be our Super Bowl winning squad lol. I'd like to make the playoffs once before we do something like that.

Totally agree with the retaining of our own guys.

I'm not worried about the 49ers being in the hook with a bad contract, but hoping Graham won't cost that much per year. Amos would be a quality signing of we don't go for Earl Thomas. We would have to pass on Mathieu. Too much tied up at safety, though I don't like the idea of depending on Tartt to be the starter. I'm not understanding bringing in Mosely. Warner has done well. Would rather bring in Shaq Barrett and draft someone to play WILL to round out our group.

At NT, I'm thinking we may run with DJ Jones if they drop Mitchell. Right 9, I count 9 defensive lineman if AA is cut instead of Thomas (Thomas, Blair, Street, Jones, Taylor, Buckner, Day, Bosa, and Graham). If Shelton is signed,one more has to go. Going to be interesting to see the starting lineup out of that.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Do you honestly think the 49ers will go that big in fa? I personally think they sign 2 players that can start, and backups. And then they trade down. We have a tone of holes, and shanny and Lynch have both said build through the draft.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Pretty detailed, so this deserves some due attention. I agree with most of the cuts, but Thomas, Tartt, and Marsh stay.

There is NO waythey are cutting a guy they drafted 3rd overall after 2 seasons. Thomas will be here for 2019 and 2020. And because we should have multiple players that can play LEO, he should get all of his snaps at 5T and on the interior going forward.

Tartt IMO is a quality back up. I was never sold on him as the starter and until we get 3 guys that can play safety, he is here for the time being. And wasn't he just extended until 2020?

I think Marsh at least goes to training camp. Whatever happens afterwards is anyone's guess, they I do hope he is cut because we have 3 players that are better.

AA should be cut. 9 million for a backup? Gotta go. Hoping that Thomas, Blair, and Street hold down AA's spot next year. We have a surplus at this position anyway. Time to unload some guys. If we are lucky, AA can be moved for a draft pick.

Free agency, wow. You really went in. I like most of the signings, but if they spent that much money, that has to be our Super Bowl winning squad lol. I'd like to make the playoffs once before we do something like that.

Totally agree with the retaining of our own guys.

I'm not worried about the 49ers being in the hook with a bad contract, but hoping Graham won't cost that much per year. Amos would be a quality signing of we don't go for Earl Thomas. We would have to pass on Mathieu. Too much tied up at safety, though I don't like the idea of depending on Tartt to be the starter. I'm not understanding bringing in Mosely. Warner has done well. Would rather bring in Shaq Barrett and draft someone to play WILL to round out our group.

At NT, I'm thinking we may run with DJ Jones if they drop Mitchell. Right 9, I count 9 defensive lineman if AA is cut instead of Thomas (Thomas, Blair, Street, Jones, Taylor, Buckner, Day, Bosa, and Graham). If Shelton is signed,one more has to go. Going to be interesting to see the starting lineup out of that.

Thanks for the input. It's hard to disagree with any of your posts.

And no, I dont think Solomon will be cut. I just have my doubts he makes an impact next year. For the sake of the team I hope I'm wrong. We need him at 5T.

As for Tartt. I dont care if he stays because he is a quality but I'm sick of these guys who just can't stay on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone