There are 194 users in the forums

2018 NCommand's Mock Draft

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Ideally we'd find a way to trade up into the 2nd. I think acquiring another 2nd is necessary to knock this draft out of the park.

We already knocked it out of the park, with our first second round pick:

Agree, that alone makes the offseason A+, equal to the best draft in 49er history - the '79 draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

2018 NCommand/ShanaLynch Mock Draft:
(1 | 9) - *Harold Landry, ER / 6-3 252
(2 | 43) - Jimmy Garoppolo, FQB / 6-2 225
(2 | 59) - Carlton Davis, CB / 6-1 206
(3 | 70) - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, SAM/ER / 6-1 242
(3 | 74) - Equanimeous St. Brown, ZWR / 6-5 214
(4 | 128) - *Alex Cappa, RT / 6-7 305
(5 | 143) - *Dorian O'Daniel, MIKE/WILL / 6-1 223
(6 | 184) - *James Looney, DE / 6-3 280
(7 | 223) - *Trayvon Henderson, FS/ST / 6-0 200
(7 | 240) - *Kameron Kelly, CB/FS/ST / 6-2 204

* Met with

Final ^

The original post has all the bells and whistles.

Exellent!

I simply would not be surprised if the 49er draft goes along the same lines (if not *exactly* the same) as what your mock draft displays. I love the double dip in Edge rusher and the WR-hybrid pick. I think Cappa - if they can get him - is another excellent pick. I love defense and so your last 3 picks have me jazzed, but I think they might go a bit more offense in the last 3 picks. But to your point in another post about undrafted offensive free agents kicks in here and says that they might get a bigger short yardage back and Tight End in the undrafted category. This is a defensive heavy mock, but I think it's appropriate given Reuben's issues and our need for an edge rusher. It would be interesting to see who they bring in at QB in the undrafted category too. I seriously doubt they would waste a draft pick on a QB.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Exellent!

I simply would not be surprised if the 49er draft goes along the same lines (if not *exactly* the same) as what your mock draft displays. I love the double dip in Edge rusher and the WR-hybrid pick. I think Cappa - if they can get him - is another excellent pick. I love defense and so your last 3 picks have me jazzed, but I think they might go a bit more offense in the last 3 picks. But to your point in another post about undrafted offensive free agents kicks in here and says that they might get a bigger short yardage back and Tight End in the undrafted category. This is a defensive heavy mock, but I think it's appropriate given Reuben's issues and our need for an edge rusher. It would be interesting to see who they bring in at QB in the undrafted category too. I seriously doubt they would waste a draft pick on a QB.

That's excellent feedback. I thought about that as well; going more offense later but when you get into the 5th-7th round, you're looking for super athletic players who need development (Trenton Brown, George Kittle, Adrian Colbert), players that fit a specific roll (P/PK) or depth/special teams (Mostert, Bolden Jr.).

I certainly think we can address those in the UDFA pool. Keep in mind that that entire pool I listed are players we were already connected too.

RB - bigger-bodied between-the-tackles inside zone RB
C - need a depth player to compete with Magnuson
TE - need a replacement for Logan Paulsen for a blocking move-TE
LB - competition for LB at SAM/MIKE/WILL and keep in mind, how much we'll end up in nickel/dime. That means we'll be using more DB's than your traditional 3 LB's. We saw that last year with pretty much Brock Coyle and Rueben Foster as the sole LB's. Also, Tartt will be playing in the box, essentially, adding another LB/SS.
Returner - there were several slot WR's we looked at expected to go in the 7th or as UDFA's with excellent return careers. We need one to push Victor Bolden Jr.
QB - we could certainly use a 3rd string-QB to push Mullens.
Interior OL - I think the FO feels better about our interior OL more than we do, hence why both C/G were so far down the pre-draft visits/connections list. With Staley, Richburg and Brown rock solid, we'll have competition between Tomlinson, Cooper, Garnett and Magnuson at G. We added Cappa who also can compete at G and he has a Quenton Nelson-like attitude that will push the others. And the team brought in three late FA's last year for added competition; we might add another this year.

Anyways, that's my rationale. LOL

PS: Picking Ogbonnia Okoronkwo fills two positions. SAM in base run downs and ER off the strong side. That means we don't need two players (Eli Harold + Elvis Dumervil) to fill one role.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 20, 2018 at 7:48 AM ]

2018 NCommand/ShanaLynch Mock Draft:
(1 | 9) - *Harold Landry, ER / 6-3 252
(2 | 43) - Jimmy Garoppolo, FQB / 6-2 225
(2 | 59) - Carlton Davis, CB / 6-1 206
(3 | 70) - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, SAM/ER / 6-1 242
(3 | 74) - Equanimeous St. Brown, ZWR / 6-5 214
(4 | 128) - *Alex Cappa, RT / 6-7 305
(5 | 143) - *Dorian O'Daniel, MIKE/WILL / 6-1 223
(6 | 184) - *James Looney, DE / 6-3 280
(7 | 223) - *Trayvon Henderson, FS/ST / 6-0 200
(7 | 240) - *Kameron Kelly, CB/FS/ST / 6-2 204

* Met with

Final ^

The original post has all the bells and whistles.

Shoot , if we got lucky enough to go with this, i would do it in a heartbeat. You got the CB answered, same with ZWR, then later got the DE and FS and CB.

I went with Landry , OBO, Nowuso ...which is a triple dip on pass rush, and if you add in Attaochou, you are talking about a potential 4 man superb/severe/ overwhelming pass rush...which i really liked. That was why i had no corner in top 6 picks in that we had that truly overpowering pass rush with Landry/Osowuso/OBO/ ATTA. I kind of let that last Corner slide in top 6 to get a massive all hands on board passrush. Also as you know, 2 OGs (one a OG/C) to guarantee protection for JG. With Dorian O'Daniel that gave us 3 new LBs. I don't feel too bad about picking up a couple corners in the next 4 picks and UDFA. I did miss out on all the great CBS, but with a 4 man jailbreak passrush, 3 LBs , all new, and QB protection, i like mine as final. After 6 picks i peter out on what's out there, so won't do that. Obviously i would next go CB/WR/RB and then end it. But for top 6 picks, i like my initial offering. I also like your first offered list, and your reviewed one. BAsically i focused on passrush (4 included ATTA), QB protection, and hot shot LBs.

Still feel like some wag once JG got here who said, "what, you want another wR so JG can throw for 375 yds/game instead of his current 300 yds?" Obviously that RZ WR would be a big piece, and a RB in UDFA is fine. I really like what we have at present...but hey, the more the merrier even if it is for TC and PS. Feel the same about WRs too. I think RB and WR high picks are for next yr. This yr it was LB, passrush, CB, OG. You managed to get in the ZWR plus a pair of CBs....vs my two OGs for protection, 3 LBs , and 4 passrush ERs (incl ATTA and landry). So either way i will be happy, but still. like my top 6 . If we came even close to either of these it would make me happy.

My concern? Landry going long before we sit down . Landry going before Chubb? Doubtful, but i do see him getting snagged before we get our chance. That would make me really disappointed. Then OBO, nowuso, and Davenport to add to ATTA, would be my counter. But that would really be a big disappointment. Which just goes to show, one guy could make my draft a lot less than i had hoped for. man i hope we get Landry. Until recently didn't realize just how big a piece he is in this draft. But whatever we do, we look to be making huge headway in filling in our holes. Passing on two early CBs was tough to do but with a potential passrush of ATTA, Landry, OBO, and Nowuso ....i could justify it and still feel good.

Still and all, anything we have put up here would be reason to feel we really made huge progress. For me tho, anything other than Landry would be huge downside. Again, really well done NC, just slightly different way of skinning the cat. I feel pretty sure your list is very close to where we end up.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 20, 2018 at 8:04 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Shoot , if we got lucky enough to go with this, i would do it in a heartbeat. You got the CB answered, same with ZWR, then later got the DE and FS and CB.

I went with Landry , OBO, Nowuso ...which is a triple dip on pass rush, and if you add in Attaochou, you are talking about a potential 4 man superb/severe/ overwhelming pass rush...which i really liked. That was why i had no corner in top 6 picks in that we had that truly overpowering pass rush with Landry/Osowuso/OBO/ ATTA. I kind of let that last Corner slide in top 6 to get a massive all hands on board passrush. Also as you know, 2 OGs (one a OG/C) to guarantee protection for JG. With Dorian O'Daniel that gave us 3 new LBs. I don't feel too bad about picking up a couple corners in the next 4 picks and UDFA. I did miss out on all the great CBS, but with a 4 man jailbreak passrush, 3 LBs , all new, and QB protection, i like mine as final. After 6 picks i peter out on what's out there, so won't do that. Obviously i would next go CB/WR/RB and then end it. But for top 6 picks, i like my initial offering. I also like your first offered list, and your reviewed one. BAsically i focused on passrush (4 included ATTA), QB protection, and hot shot LBs.

Still feel like some wag once JG got here who said, "what, you want another wR so JG can throw for 375 yds/game instead of his current 300 yds?" Obviously that RZ WR would be a big piece, and a RB in UDFA is fine. I really like what we have at present...but hey, the more the merrier even if it is for TC and PS. Feel the same about WRs too. I think RB and WR high picks are for next yr. This yr it was LB, passrush, CB, OG. You managed to get in the ZWR plus a pair of CBs....vs my two OGs for protection, 3 LBs , and 4 passrush ERs (incl ATTA and landry). So either way i will be happy, but still. like my top 6 . If we came even close to either of these it would make me happy.

My concern? Landry going long before we sit down . Landry going before Chubb? Doubtful, but i do see him getting snagged before we get our chance. That would make me really disappointed. Then OBO, nowuso, and Davenport to add to ATTA, would be my counter. But that would really be a big disappointment. Which just goes to show, one guy could make my draft a lot less than i had hoped for. man i hope we get Landry. Until recently didn't realize just how big a piece he is in this draft. But whatever we do, we look to be making huge headway in filling in our holes. Passing on two early CBs was tough to do but with a potential passrush of ATTA, Landry, OBO, and Nowuso ....i could justify it and still feel good.

Still and all, anything we have put up here would be reason to feel we really made huge progress. For me tho, anything other than Landry would be huge downside. Again, really well done NC, just slightly different way of skinning the cat. I feel pretty sure your list is very close to where we end up.

Landry, Obo and Nwosu? That's awesome! Obo could play SAM and Landry LEO. It looked like Nwosu played all over. I wonder if he could play MIKE. How deadly to have an athletic MIKE who could blitz from anywhere on any down?

PS: That's my big concern too...Landry goes before 9. I would so hard.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM ]

Landry, Obo and Nwosu? That's awesome! Obo could play SAM and Landry LEO. It looked like Nwosu played all over. I wonder if he could play MIKE. How deadly to have an athletic MIKE who could blitz from anywhere on any down?

Ok so here's the question: Would you trade up for Landry?

I have thot about that over and over, and come up with:
Landry makes this draft. But what if? and the ifs could be anything from injury to hold out to another Reuben mess(really don't think so here, seems squeaky clean, but...,)

So assuming we move up, we already are missing 50 choice picks between #9 and #59. So I would have to say no. Giving up picks in top 3 rds just seems like giving away starters and last I checked, we need 3 LBs, 1 CB, 2 OGs(ok, 1 at least), and an ER. Ergo, no trading up. Just way too expensive talentwise this draft. So, I would go for trading down, pick up Davenport, OBO, Nowosu, to add to Attaochou. IF no Landry then have 4 beasts that can passrush. Would add Wynn/Hernanadez/Breiden Smith, (One of them) , nail down a CB (best available depending on where we are in draft and how many other picks we picked up, We would still need another LB, so whoever at where we are, depending on # of picks we picked up. Preference for #9 would be a later #1, and two picks between our rd 1 pick and #59. In other words, get two more picks before #59 plus a later rd 1 pick. OR, hold someone who wanted our pick (eg Saquon) really bad, for 2 #1s and a #2. Either one to end up with 2 extra picks. It fits better with a late #1 and two #2s, but I would hold BB up for #23 and #31 plus our own #2 have him returned. Be a hard head on this pick in trade. Once Landry is gone the #9 loses a lot of its allure. Man I hope that doesn't happen, but if it did I would go shopping for extra picks early/ mid rd 2, plus trading ones with Team X (say Pats). That is a 3-fer BTW, which is a net two more picks. That is the only thing that would take the sting out of our losing Landry early. Have to admit, DAvenport, OBO, Nwosu added to Attaochou....well, I'd be ready to say we got the passrush covered. Actually, if we could land and OG, CB, and LB for Landry, how could we say no?
That's my what if. What's yours(ie Landry gone)?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM ]
Great work! One question though, unless I'm missing something, you only have one legit TE on your 53 man roster?

Landry makes this draft. But what if? and the ifs could be anything from injury to hold out to another Reuben mess(really don't think so here, seems squeaky clean, but...,)

So assuming we move up, we already are missing 50 choice picks between #9 and #59. So I would have to say no. Giving up picks in top 3 rds just seems like giving away starters and last I checked, we need 3 LBs, 1 CB, 2 OGs(ok, 1 at least), and an ER. Ergo, no trading up. Just way too expensive talentwise this draft. So, I would go for trading down, pick up Davenport, OBO, Nowosu, to add to Attaochou. IF no Landry then have 4 beasts that can passrush. Would add Wynn/Hernanadez/Breiden Smith, (One of them) , nail down a CB (best available depending on where we are in draft and how many other picks we picked up, We would still need another LB, so whoever at where we are, depending on # of picks we picked up. Preference for #9 would be a later #1, and two picks between our rd 1 pick and #59. In other words, get two more picks before #59 plus a later rd 1 pick. OR, hold someone who wanted our pick (eg Saquon) really bad, for 2 #1s and a #2. Either one to end up with 2 extra picks. It fits better with a late #1 and two #2s, but I would hold BB up for #23 and #31 plus our own #2 have him returned. Be a hard head on this pick in trade. Once Landry is gone the #9 loses a lot of its allure. Man I hope that doesn't happen, but if it did I would go shopping for extra picks early/ mid rd 2, plus trading ones with Team X (say Pats). That is a 3-fer BTW, which is a net two more picks. That is the only thing that would take the sting out of our losing Landry early. Have to admit, DAvenport, OBO, Nwosu added to Attaochou....well, I'd be ready to say we got the passrush covered. Actually, if we could land and OG, CB, and LB for Landry, how could we say no?

Yeah, I would not move up to secure Landry. If we lose out on him, you just have to rewrite your strategy. I'm sure they are prepared for it though.
Originally posted by BakoJT:
Great work! One question though, unless I'm missing something, you only have one legit TE on your 53 man roster?

Thank you. You are correct. Kyle Juszczyk takes up a lot of those TE2 snaps/routes. We could certainly use a blocking TE or if a guy like Cole Hikutini shines so much in the passing game, we could certainly go that direction as well. If not, we'll lean more on the WR's. A guy like St. Brown with his 6'5" height and 4.48 speed, you can move him around a lot and take up those TE2 snaps.

Edit: Cripes a quick calc check shows even with the PATs 23 and 31st picks, we still come out 300pts and change better in the deal. Adding a 2nd rounder just won't work ....unless...unless.....#9 is Saquon or Nelson. With nelson, altho I desire him a lot, unless he could somehow grow into a RT , he would end up with OT money and still be an OG, or as they noted in the editorial, we would just be renting him for 4-5 yrs. After that kyle doesn't spend money on OGs...altho he could be induced to change his mind, His money has gone historically to Centers and Tackles. I think we will see him change that sometime soon. But 3 fers...looks like not, unless there is a bidding war for that 9th pick , say Saaquon/ Nelson.

Yeah, I would not move up to secure Landry. If we lose out on him, you just have to rewrite your strategy. I'm sure they are prepared for it though.

Agree! One of my favorite mocks so far has them taking Fitzpatrick in the first (the only choice I don't care for), TE Gesicki 2nd, OC/OG Daniels 3rd, WR Miller 3rd, another WR, CB and DL.

My complaint is not taking an edge rusher earlier, which they could do in this same mock as both Edmunds, Davenport and Landry are all still available. Gesicki, Daniels and Miller would greatly help the offense, so...yay!
Edit: Cripes a quick calc check shows even with the PATs 23 and 31st picks, we still come out 300pts and change better in the deal. Adding a 2nd rounder just won't work ....unless...unless.....#9 is Saquon or Nelson. With nelson, altho I desire him a lot, unless he could somehow grow into a RT , he would end up with OT money and still be an OG, or as they noted in the editorial, we would just be renting him for 4-5 yrs. After that kyle doesn't spend money on OGs...altho he could be induced to change his mind, His money has gone historically to Centers and Tackles. I think we will see him change that sometime soon. But 3 fers...looks like not, unless there is a bidding war for that 9th pick , say Saaquon/ Nelson.

You cross the cap space bridge when you get there. We have a long ways to go on 'unit spend' before we pay what playoff teams currently pay for their OL.

By the time we'd pay Nelson, Staley would be gone, Richburg might be replaced by a rookie, who knows if Brown will be here, etc.

Get the stud rookie and worry about paying his market value later!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree! One of my favorite mocks so far has them taking Fitzpatrick in the first (the only choice I don't care for), TE Gesicki 2nd, OC/OG Daniels 3rd, WR Miller 3rd, another WR, CB and DL.

My complaint is not taking an edge rusher earlier, which they could do in this same mock as both Edmunds, Davenport and Landry are all still available. Gesicki, Daniels and Miller would greatly help the offense, so...yay!

Yeah, I had Gesicki myself in an another mock. What a weapon that would be! If we don't get our edge, I'd be fine focusing much more on offense this draft (TE, WR, G, T, RB). Why not? Maybe throw in a CB or LB in there.

Yeah, I had Gesicki myself in an another mock. What a weapon that would be! If we don't get our edge, I'd be fine focusing much more on offense this draft (TE, WR, G, T, RB). Why not? Maybe throw in a CB or LB in there.

Replace Fitzpatrick with Landry and I'd be pretty happy with the aforesaid mock! Landry, Gesicki, Daniels, Miller, and CB, DL, LB in later rounds.
Replace Fitzpatrick with Landry and I'd be pretty happy with the aforesaid mock! Landry, Gesicki, Daniels, Miller, and CB, DL, LB in later rounds.

That would be fun. Almost time, my friend.
Share 49ersWebzone