There are 262 users in the forums

2018 NCommand's Mock Draft

OK, this is my FINAL MOCK DRAFT. Naturally, I leaned heavily on pre-draft visits and player connections as that pool seemed to match our team needs perfectly.

Pre-Draft Visits: Heroism
Pre-Draft Player Connections: David Bonilla

Since we've finalized the private visits, I compared MadDog's 256 with Tuls 300 to our list of 104 players we have been tied too and quite remarkably (or not), they are very very similar in draft order projections.

Therefore, here is the final list:

Position - Quantity / Projected Rounds (Quality: # Rd 1 or 2)

ER - 10 / 1-5 (8)
LB - 12 / 1-7 (5)
CB - 17 / 1-7 (4)
WR - 17 / 1-7 (4)
T - 7 / 2, 4, 5 or 7 (3)
DE - 13 / 2-7 (2)
S - 6 / 1-4 or 7 (2)
RB - 4 / 1, 2, 4 or 7 (2)
C - 7 / 1, 5, 6 or 7 (2)
G - 4 / 1, 2, 5 or 7 (2)
QB - 3 / 2 or 4 or 7 (1)
TE - 4 / 5 or 7 (0)

Order of Importance Based on Visits: ER, LB, CB, WR, T, DE, S, RB, C, G, QB, TE

pSPARQ

2018 NCommand/ShanaLynch Mock Draft:
(1 | 9) - *Harold Landry, Elephant / 6-3 252 (G Quenton Nelson if available)
(2 | 43) - Jimmy Garoppolo, FQB / 6-2 225
(2 | 59) - Carlton Davis, OCB / 6-1 206
(3 | 70) - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, SAM/ER / 6-1 242
(3 | 74) - Equanimeous St. Brown, ZWR / 6-5 214
(4 | 128) - *Alex Cappa, RT / 6-7 305
(5 | 143) - *Dorian O'Daniel, MIKE/WILL / 6-1 223
(6 | 184) - *James Looney, DE/BE / 6-3 280
(7 | 223) - *Trayvon Henderson, FS/ST / 6-0 200
(7 | 240) - *Kameron Kelly, CB/FS/ST / 6-2 204

* Met with

Overall: We met privately or were connected with every one of these players save for Carlton Davis, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo & Equanimeous St. Brown so that aligns with the 50-67% we've seen in the past. For realism, and for reference, MadDog had the following players going (here) overall: Harold Landry (19), Carlton Davis (61), Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (75), Equanimeous St. Brown (89), Alex Cappa (125), Dorian O'Daniel (123), James Looney (214), Trayvon Henderson (226) & Kameron Kelly (NR).

Team Needs: I feel great about meeting almost all the team needs. We badly needed ER for both sides and players-in-training for a year behind top notch veterans at CB (Sherman - Davis), T (Staley - Cappa) and WR (Garcon - St. Brown). And we got just that.

Look to the UDFA pool (see pool below) for a bigger-bodied between-the-tackles inside zone RB, depth for C, a blocking move-TE, competition for LB and Returner and a 3rd string-QB. I think the FO feels better about our interior OL more than we do, hence why both C/G were so far down the pre-draft visits/connections list.

The theme was to find perfect scheme-fit players with the unique skill sets for each position.

Remember the 49ers Way:
Talent: Speed, Toughness/Fhysicality, Position Specific Athletic Traits & Scheme Fit

Spirit: Football Passion; Do they Love it?, Contagious Competivenes, Dependability; Protect the Team, Mental Toughness, Football IQ & Accountability to other Players and Themselves

Rationale: Click on the names for video highlights
Harold Landry - Hands down, this was the FO's biggest priority as evidenced by the quantity and quality of the pre-draft visits/connections list. Landry is a perfect fit for our Elephant position. Suddenly, Solomon Thomas/Arik Armstead (BE) and DeForest Buckner/Sheldon Day (3T) turn those league-leading QB pressures into QB sacks. #5 pSPARQ score at 134.7.
Carlton Davis - A perfect-fit long, athletic outside CB with 4.5 speed at 6'1" with near 33" arms to play in nickel/dime and grow under Richard Sherman for a year. A quick study who's NFL comparison IS Richard Sherman. Great ball skills, a PBU machine and nasty Fysical with WR's. Loves to come up in run support too. Will be coached up by the man himself on how to turn more of those PBU's into INT's and how to avoid a few less P.I.'s (6 last year). QB's avoid him. 79" wing span and slightly faster than Sherman but not as quick (3-Cone 6.72 to 7.3). #55 pSPARQ score at 112.6. For reference, Richard Sherman (124.8).
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Saleh has been dying to have a SAM who could play every down and another perfect-fit. Now, we'll have Oko & Landry coming off both edges at the same time with rotational depth in Attaochu and Marsh. That's turning a weakness into a strength. 34.5 inch arms and shorter height (6'1") with powerful legs gives him an Elvis Dumervil-like upper hand on T's and aids in stack-and-shedding. Built like a brick wall who will have no issues on the strong side. Already possesses a wide array of pass rush moves and has superior hustle and heart to match his closing speed. #6 pSPARQ score at 133.8.
Equanimeous St. Brown - We finally have a true ZWR with a massive catching radius (6'5" / 33" arms / 79" wingspan) and will start out as an immediate RZ threat and will learn from Pierre Garcon for a year. He's a guy you can move all over including in the slot like a TE. But don't confuse his size with poor athleticism. This kid has speed (4.5) and athleticism and creates unusual separation 'for' his size. Crafty, smooth route runner with an array of moves and great field awareness especially in the EZ and along the sidelines. Inside The Pylon staff agrees and notes the production drop a direct result of going from QB DeShone Kizer to Brandon Wimbush. A year in an NFL weight room will make him scary and be in position to box-out and make contested catches better. #35 pSPARQ score at 119.4 but top 5 for his H/W class.
Alex Cappa - While Cappa played LT in college, he'll compete with Trenton Brown at RT this year and start there when Staley calls it quits and Trenton Brown moves to LT where you need stellar blind side protection for our FQB. He'll learn under Staley and Brown for a year. He needs refinement but he also played a lot at G too. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said Cappa had "the nastiest tape he's ever seen." "To me, that's just how you play football," Cappa said. Enough said. #119 pSPARQ score at 83.0. He is the weakest athlete of the bunch.
Dorian O'Daniel - 4.6 40 with excellent short area quickness who's terrific in coverage but also a ST gunner ace. He will bulk up some and compete at MIKE/WILL. With the added pass rush on all three downs, we'll see more 3-Safety looks with the two best middle linebackers in there for coverage. Dorian already, might be one of those two. #23 pSPARQ score at 124.1.
James Looney - Excellent penetrating DE who Saleh will love as rotational depth at Big End in preparation from possibly moving on from Armstead next year. #2 pSPARQ score at 131.8.
Trayvon Henderson - Like Adrian Colbert last year, we add late depth at FS and he plays with similar passion. Loves to blitz and has excellent closing speed. Seek and destroyer. Will need to add more to his frame but already a candidate as a ST demon. #13 pSPARQ score at 125.6.
Kameron Kelly - Another 6'2" developmental outside CB who has a chance to add in ST as well as depth at FS. CB who plays like a S by lowering the boom. #95 pSPARQ score at 104.5.

53-Man Roster

Offensive Personnel: --- 23
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; C.J. BeatHard
RB1: *Jerick McKinnon; Joe Williams
RB2: Matt Breida; Raheem Mostert
FB: *Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle
XWR: Marquise Goodwin; Kendrick Bourne
YWR: Trent Taylor; Victor Bolden Jr.
ZWR: Pierre Garcon; Equanimeous St. Brown
LOT: Joe Staley; Gary Gilliam
LG: Jonathan Cooper; Laken Tomlinson
C: Weston Richburg; Erik Magnuson
RG: Joshua Garnett
ROT: Trenton Brown; Alex Cappa

*Offensive Weapon (RB/FB/TE/WR)

Defensive Personnel: --- 27
LDE/BE: Solomon Thomas; Arik Armstead & James Looney
NT: Earl Mitchell D.J. Jones
RDT: DeForest Buckner; Sheldon Day
LEO: Harold Landry; Jeremiah Attaochu & Cassius Marsh
SAM: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo; Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Malcolm Smith; Korey Toomer & Brock Coyle
WILL: Rueben Foster; Dorian O'Daniel
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Kameron Kelly
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; Jimmie Ward
LCB: Richard Sherman; Carlton Davis
FS: Adrian Colbert; Trayvon Henderson
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Chancellor James

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Bradley Pinion

KOR: Victor Bolden Jr. & Jerick McKinnon
PR: Victor Bolden Jr.
GR: Raheem Mostert & Dorian O'Daniel

UDFA Pool Targets:
Matthew Gono 6'5" 305 G
Bradley Bozeman 6'5" 311 C
Nicholas Falah 6'4" 290 C
Mark Korte 6'4" 280 C
Evan Brown 6'2" 307 C
Zachary Crabtree 6'7" 310 T
Jamar McGloster 6'6" 330 T
Davontae Harris 6'0" 200 CB
Devron Davis 6'0" 205 CB
Yusef Sterling-Lowe 5'11" 177 CB
Chris Hardeman 5'9" 190 CB
Marloshawn Franklin 5'11" 188 CB
Foyesade Oluokun 6'1" 230 LB
Frank Ginda 6'0" 245 LB
Jacob Pugh 6'4" 232 LB
Matt Oplinger 6'3" 242 LB
Quadree Henderson 5'8" 190 WR
Deontay Burnett 6'0" 186 WR
Auden Tate 6'5" 228 WR
Vyncint Smith 6'3" 195 WR
Devin Gray 5'11" 183 WR
Jake Wieneke 6'4" 213 WR
DeMornay Pierson-El 5'9" 194 WR
Regis Cibasu 6'3" 232 WR
Deontez Alexander 6'3" 180 WR
Tre Flowers 6'3" 200 S
Emeka Etta 5'11" 211 S
D'Ernest Johnson 5'10" 208 RB
Jullian Taylor 6'4" 280 DL
Matt Dickerson 6'4" 290 DL
Jacob Tuioti-Mariner 6'2" 265 DL
Mason Gentry 6'5" 300 DL
Abdullah Anderson 6'4" 295 DL
Demone Harris 6'3" 272 DL
Chad Kanoff 6'4" 219 QB
Malik Watson 6'3" 208 QB
Andrew Vollert 6'5" 245 TE
Ben Johnson 6'5" 256 TE
Ross Dwelley 6'5" 240 TE
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2018 at 5:41 PM ]
I like it but i think we would address LB at some point early on in the draft
Originally posted by Dillesq:

I know...been struggling with that one.
NC,
If Landry and Davenport are still available at #9, would you trade down for a second round pick and take Davenport if Landry is gone by then? The extra pick would help with the LB issue. Are you thinking that O'Neill competes at guard this year?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Ideally we'd find a way to trade up into the 2nd. I think acquiring another 2nd is necessary to knock this draft out of the park.
  • crew
  • Veteran

Ideally we'd find a way to trade up into the 2nd. I think acquiring another 2nd is necessary to knock this draft out of the park.

If Niners can pick up another 2nd RD pick by way of trading down in 1st, they'll be able to address ER, G, LB, CB & WR in first 3 rounds.
Originally posted by crew:

If Niners can pick up another 2nd RD pick by way of trading down in 1st, they'll be able to address ER, G, LB, CB & WR in first 3 rounds.

Exactly why it's so crucial for us. We'd be able to take the best available at that position and we'd be in great shape going into the season.

We already knocked it out of the park, with our first second round pick:

I have a feeling if they go Landry at 9 they will package 59 & 74 to move up for a guard then address CB at 70
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
NC,
If Landry and Davenport are still available at #9, would you trade down for a second round pick and take Davenport if Landry is gone by then? The extra pick would help with the LB issue. Are you thinking that O'Neill competes at guard this year?

I'm certainly no draft expert and we're all learning how our new FO works, but my best guess is they stay pat and take Landry. He'd be a critical piece to making Saleh's defense go and would have a positive ripple effect throughout the rest of the defense.

That said, if we trade back, I'm thinking it's a T like Connor Williams or G like Isaiah Wynn + a second and extra third plus a 2nd next year.

As for O'Neill, no, he'd compete at RT with Brown and Gilliam. He's probably too tall inside at 6'7" but I'd leave that up to the coaches (that would be ideal).

As to LB. honestly, I have that pretty far down the list. With our stellar DL, Malcolm Smith back, plenty who can play SAM, Elijah Lee with a full off season plus snaps last year, I think we're in decent shape to start the year. Grab a thicker MIKE or instinctive smaller WILL in the 5th+. Foster is special no doubt.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 18, 2018 at 8:05 PM ]

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I have a feeling if they go Landry at 9 they will package 59 & 74 to move up for a guard then address CB at 70

I'd have to look at the calculator. Where would those two packaged put us? What pick?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

We already knocked it out of the park, with our first second round pick:

Boom!

That's the plan I'm hoping for. We need Landry. I see him as equal to Beasley - Atlanta's pass rusher. He will probably have a solid first year and be great in his second year.
Originally posted by Imjacksmirkinrevenge:

That's the plan I'm hoping for. We need Landry. I see him as equal to Beasley - Atlanta's pass rusher. He will probably have a solid first year and be great in his second year.

Nice... who would you guys move up for?
i like it. you fill all the holes with great scheme sits. Would hope that you go after a LB and RB in the 6th and 7th rounds
Share 49ersWebzone