LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Trading McGahee for NO DEF: smart or crazy?

Trading McGahee for NO DEF: smart or crazy?

I'm a 12 team, non ppr league and I'm doing very well. I'm alone in 1st place and I'm pretty set at WR and RB. My one big hole is DEF.

Here's my roster:

QBs - Rogers, Favre
WRs - Wayne, Ocho, Lee Evens, Maclin, Nate Washington
RBs - Rice, Gore, McGahee, Benson, Wells, Ward
TE - Shockey
DEF - Buf
K - Tynes, but who cares?

My league starts 3 WRs, 2 RBs, and one Flex. Is it worth giving up a guy like McGahee, who I would never start (barring injuries) in order to get a top D like NO? I offered someone Ward for SD, but they haven't taken it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Trading McGahee for no defense?

Sounds like a s**tty deal IMO.
he means NO (New Orleans)
maybe, their defense has been scoring off of touchdowns several times
I think New Orleans is probably the best D to have, right? They've put up the best numbers so far. And even tho I think McGahee is a somewhat valuable RB, I need D more than anything else. I just wonder if I'm basically trading a so so sports car for a real good bicycle.
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think New Orleans is probably the best D to have, right? They've put up the best numbers so far. And even tho I think McGahee is a somewhat valuable RB, I need D more than anything else. I just wonder if I'm basically trading a so so sports car for a real good bicycle.

You are doing exactly that. Keep in mind that with Team DEF, you need the team that will produce turnovers or completely shutout the opponents. New Orleans isn't going to shut folks out, but they get up early and opponents have to pass, which means more chances for INTs. Check to see if your leagues Team D includes kick return TDs. If that's the case, you have a ton of options. I wouldn't overpay for New Orleans now, though. They ran up the score on a few teams, and when the opponents tried to catch up they picked off a few and took them to the house. You have the RBs to make a move, but I'd try and land a team with an actual imposing DEF rather than one that relies on turnovers to score.

PITT
Giants
JETS

I dunno how their stats look or what your league's scoring options are, but you're usually better going with a team that can put pressure on the QB and create turnovers. Oh, and look for cold weather DEF if you can't find something cheap. When it starts snowing, the scores in games drop and the turnovers go up.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Conejo:

I know..I was being a smart ass
Make that trade ASAP, How many rb's can you play at once? You got Benson and he leads the league in rushing why keep Magahee if you really need a defense. And cut Nate Washington last week he had 1 catch for -22 yards i cut his ass off my team
I made the offer but he wants Beanie Wells instead. I said no to that. One of the reasons I wanted NO was because of their schedule. They've got CAR and TB twice each, plus STL and WAS. That's pretty good. But I don't think it'd be smart to give up Wells.
I made the offer but he wants Beanie Wells instead. I said no to that. One of the reasons I wanted NO was because of their schedule. They've got CAR and TB twice each, plus STL and WAS. That's pretty good. But I don't think it'd be smart to give up Wells.
why

he hasn't done much and you have 3 must starts (gore is falling off though) in rice benson and gore

Originally posted by RonMexico:
why

he hasn't done much and you have 3 must starts (gore is falling off though) in rice benson and gore

I'm worried about Gore. I'm hoping (for more reasons than just FF) that Smith starting backs up opposing Ds and helps Gore get back to his normal production. But if it doesn't, or if he's injured again, I was an insurance policy. And I think Wells is going to be putting up a lot of points in the second half of the season. He's a much better runner than Hightower and the Cards look like they could playing with a lead in a lot of games. I guess I'd rather keep juggling scrap heap Ds than give up a player I think will produce.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
why

I'm worried about Gore. I'm hoping (for more reasons than just FF) that Smith starting backs up opposing Ds and helps Gore get back to his normal production. But if it doesn't, or if he's injured again, I was an insurance policy. And I think Wells is going to be putting up a lot of points in the second half of the season. He's a much better runner than Hightower and the Cards look like they could playing with a lead in a lot of games. I guess I'd rather keep juggling scrap heap Ds than give up a player I think will produce.

and i am carrying 2 D's. NO and den. i am keeping NO for the next 3 wekks, and do not want to cut den because they are the #1 defense in fantasy. but in my other league i am playing the follow the s**tty offense game. i picked up the jets last week, and amm going to start looking right now for the one i want.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Conejo:

I know..I was being a smart ass

I thought you were, but the thread title confusing some isn't out of the question
Share 49ersWebzone