LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

My Fantasy Draft Results

Thanks for the tips, guys. Here are the results of my fantasy draft that just wrapped up. I tried to get reliable guys in the main point-earning positions, then get a lot of guys who are backups/rookies who look to take over as starters at some point this season due to injury or simply outplaying the incumbent starter. Donald Brown is just behind Addai, and McCoy is behind Brian Westbrook. Sanchez looks to have a pretty good season if he starts.

QB - Donovan McNabb
WR - Randy Moss
WR - Anquan Boldin
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Ryan Grant
TE - Vernon Davis
W/R/T Flex - Darren McFadden
K - Mason Crosby (GB)
DEF - Green Bay

BN - Matt Hasselbeck (Sea - QB)
BN - Mark Sanchez (NYJ - QB)
BN - Donald Brown (Ind - RB)
BN - LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB)
BN - Isaac Bruce (WR)
BN - San Francisco

This was the order I drafted them in:
1. (7) Frank Gore
2. (18) Randy Moss
3. (31) Anquan Boldin
4. (42) Ryan Grant
5. (55) Donovan McNabb
6. (66) Darren McFadden
7. (79) Donald Brown
8. (90) Matt Hasselbeck
9. (103) Green Bay
10. (114) Vernon Davis
11. (127) LeSean McCoy
12. (138) Mark Sanchez
13. (151) Mason Crosby
14. (162) Isaac Bruce
15. (175) San Francisco
[ Edited by Psinex on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Thanks for the tips, guys. Here are the results of my fantasy draft that just wrapped up. I tried to get reliable guys in the main point-earning positions, then get a lot of guys who are backups/rookies who look to take over as starters at some point this season due to injury or simply outplaying the incumbent starter. Donald Brown is just behind Addai, and McCoy is behind Brian Westbrook. Sanchez looks to have a pretty good season if he starts.

QB - Donovan McNabb
WR - Randy Moss
WR - Anquan Boldin
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Ryan Grant
TE - Vernon Davis
W/R/T Flex - Darren McFadden
K - Mason Crosby (GB)
DEF - Green Bay

BN - Matt Hasselbeck (Sea - QB)
BN - Mark Sanchez (NYJ - QB)
BN - Donald Brown (Ind - RB)
BN - LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB)
BN - Isaac Bruce (WR)
BN - San Francisco

This was the order I drafted them in:
1. (7) Frank Gore
2. (18) Randy Moss
3. (31) Anquan Boldin
4. (42) Ryan Grant
5. (55) Donovan McNabb
6. (66) Darren McFadden
7. (79) Donald Brown
8. (90) Matt Hasselbeck
9. (103) Green Bay
10. (114) Vernon Davis
11. (127) LeSean McCoy
12. (138) Mark Sanchez
13. (151) Mason Crosby
14. (162) Isaac Bruce
15. (175) San Francisco

took backup QB too early in opinion. Even though mcnabb has a injury history.

Definitely took a defense too early. Especially taking the one you took.

Took a kicker 2 rounds too early and why on earth take a 3rd QB. a rookie one no less and in the 12th round.
Sometimes in the context of a draft where the quality defenses and kickers on high-scoring teams were going fast, I had to take Green Bay right then, because Baltimore, Pittsburgh and a couple others were off the board. Green Bay has been dominant in the pre-season with Dom Capers' new 3-4. They had a shutout against Cleveland last week. Sanchez was just a low-risk pick. All my TE guys like Gonzalez, Clark and Witten were gone, so I had to grab someone.
[ Edited by Psinex on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Sometimes in the context of a draft where the quality defenses and kickers on high-scoring teams were going fast, I had to take Green Bay right then, because Baltimore, Pittsburgh and a couple others were off the board. Green Bay has been dominant in the pre-season with Dom Capers' new 3-4. They had a shutout against Cleveland last week. Sanchez was just a low-risk pick. All my TE guys like Gonzalez, Clark and Witten were gone, so I had to grab someone.

In fantasy football you want to start runs. Not get caught up in them. If you get caught up in them you're just settling for leftovers that will score relatively the same as if you waited. Thus, leaving players on the board for the run starters
Originally posted by krizay:

In fantasy football you want to start runs. Not get caught up in them. If you get caught up in them you're just settling for leftovers that will score relatively the same as if you waited. Thus, leaving players on the board for the run starters

Not to hijack this thread, but... what do you recommend one do when they're up and a there's been a run on a position, leaving only one or two decent options at that position? Are you saying it's better to ignore that run and go for a different position?

I'm just curious because I'm about to have my third ever draft, and I'm certainly no pro.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by krizay:

Not to hijack this thread, but... what do you recommend one do when they're up and a there's been a run on a position, leaving only one or two decent options at that position? Are you saying it's better to ignore that run and go for a different position?

I'm just curious because I'm about to have my third ever draft, and I'm certainly no pro.

This is a hard question to answer considering different types of league setups/sizes/formats. Not to mention what round the run starts and the position.
Obviously every scenario is different.

The only way I can see myself getting caught up in a run is if it was a QB friendly league. Meaning 1 pt per 20-25 yards, 6 pts per TD and especially a point per completion league. In my opinion, there are only 9 QB's i'd draft and not worry about matchups. So if I was in a QB friendly league and a run on QB's started and I was able to get one of those 9. I may feel tempted to "follow" the run. Depending on what round it starts, how my team looks at the time and the players left to fill out my starting roster.

If it's too late and the top 9 are gone by the time your turn rolls around. There's no need to settle for the 10th best guy when the point differential between him and say the 12th4th guy aren't going to be that great. So you might as well strengthing the rest of your team. Grab a couple so-so guys later and play the matchup game.

As for other positions. There are plenty of startable guys out there to follow a run.
Don't take the 8th best WR because eeveryone's taking WR's when you still have the 8th best RB and 2 of the top 3 QB's on the board. Don't take the 10th best RB if the top 3 QB's and top 3 WR's are still on the board.

Again this question is hard to answer without the proper scenario.
[ Edited by krizay on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone