Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports


Reuben Foster hung up on the Saints after being picked by the 49ers

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM--


One of the newest members of the San Francisco 49ers roster, linebacker Reuben Foster, clarified exactly what happened on Thursday night when he was selected with the 31st overall pick. The 49ers traded up from the 34th overall selection to pick Foster at the end of the first round.

There had been reports on what happened surrounding the actual trade. The New Orleans Saints were reportedly going to select Foster with the last pick in the first round (32 overall) and the 49ers leaped them to select the former Alabama linebacker. Apparently, Foster was on the phone with both the Saints and the 49ers at the same time.

"The 32 pick was about to come up," Foster shared with the media during a press conference on Friday to introduce him and fellow first-round pick Solomon Thomas. "So, I get a call from the New Orleans Saints and they say, 'Are you in Louisiana/Baton Rouge?' I say, 'No sir. I'm in Miami, Florida."

The Saints then wanted to speak to his girlfriend, who was from the New Orleans area. Obviously, Foster being selected by the Saints would be a big win for her because she would not have to go far and could remain near her family. However, Foster grew up loving the 49ers and when he saw a call coming in from the San Jose area, he immediately answered.

"I said 'Hello' while the New Orleans Saints were on the other line," Foster said. "And I'm like, 'Dang.' But I wanted to be a 49er so bad, it wasn't funny. Man, it was crazy."

"I told John Lynch that it was too late," Foster continued. "I said, 'Man, coach, you're the 34th pick. It's too late. The New Orleans Saints about to get me."

Foster said that the Saints were certain that they were going to select him and were welcoming him and his girlfriend when the 49ers called. Foster was asked if it was awkward when he clicked back over to speak to the Saints following the news from Lynch that the 49ers had traded ahead of New Orleans to select him. "No," Foster said. "I hung up."

That answer made the media in the room erupt in laughter.

Update:



Related News







More San Francisco 49ers News



Kyle Shanahan talks 49ers-Cardinals, Deebo Samuel being ruled out, air quality, Tevin Coleman, Brandon Aiyuk

By Site Staff
Sep 11, 2020

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan spoke with reporters after Friday's practice as his team prepares for its Week 1 matchup against the Arizona Cardinals. Here is everything he had to say. Transcript provided by the San Francisco 49ers Communications staff. Can you give us an update on WR Deebo Samuel's health? "Yeah, injuries for today: [WR Brandon] Aiyuk's questionable, [G Ben] Garland is questionable, Deebo will be out and [CB Jason] Verrett's out. [RB Tevin] Coleman missed today. It wasn't injury related." In regards to Deebo, why not just put him on Injured Reserve so you can practice him up the next couple of weeks before he would debut in Week Four? "Because we

Read the Full Article


More confident Kentavius Street feels 100 percent after offseason surgery

By David Bonilla
Sep 7, 2020

There were times when San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Kentavius Street doubted whether or not he would ever return to 100 percent. He suffered an ACL injury shortly before the 49ers made him a fourth-round draft pick in 2018. Street obviously did not play during his rookie season and continued to recover from the knee injury. He landed on injured reserve in 2019, but finally got an opportunity to step onto the football field late in the season after being designated to return. The 24-year-old defender has received rave reviews from teammates for his showing in training camp. "To be brutally honest, I was really starting to doubt myself if I would ever get back to 100 percent," Street told reporters on Monday. "It had been almost two years from

Read the Full Article


Richard Sherman has talked contract with 49ers, plans to play three more seasons after 2020

By David Bonilla
Sep 10, 2020

At some point, Richard Sherman will enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He'll have to wait until five years after retirement to do so, and some wonder when the San Francisco 49ers' veteran cornerback will decide to call it a career. It sounds like that will be after the 2023 season. And Sherman hopes to continue playing for the 49ers. "I do believe that I have good years left in me," Sherman told reporters after Thursday's practice. "I'm only going to play three after this. That's what the wife (Ashley) told me. I don't call any shots after that. "Three years after this, if the good San Francisco 49ers would love to keep me on this ball club, I'd love to be here. But after that, I'm going to go into the booth." Sherman is entering his

Read the Full Article

Featured

More Featured Stories

Trending News

More News
Share 49erswebzone