There are 243 users in the forums

San Francisco Giants 2020 Off-season Thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Of course he accepted the qualifying offer. There was never any doubt. That one year salary is so far and beyond above his value, its borderline absurd. Hope he pitches well early so we can spin him for something.

I would have offered Gausman a 2/$20M or something similar.

I agree. I thought it was a typo but what in the actual f**k did Farhan do here?? JFC talk about wasting money. This was a classic Old regime move

This is a Saban move.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
This is a Saban move.

No it's not. Farhan isn't stupid.

If we aren't competing by the trade deadline, he will be dealt and we will get prospects for him. (Obviously, that is dependent on him pitching well, which he was last year.)

So it's $9M investment for either competing for a playoff spot or prospects.

It's a Win-win and not a deal that will prevent us from making other moves.
[ Edited by Garce on Nov 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM ]
I fully understand that we are very needy for starting pitchers. But Chad is not a $19 million pitcher. We have the money and the flexibility to overpay for specific free agents but I think this is absurd
Of course he accepted the qualifying offer. There was never any doubt. That one year salary is so far and beyond above his value, its borderline absurd. Hope he pitches well early so we can spin him for something.

I agree. I thought it was a typo but what in the actual f**k did Farhan do here?? JFC talk about wasting money. This was a classic Old regime move

This is a Saban move.

Nick Saban would've never made this move. Brian Sabean, maybe.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

Too bad
I fully understand that we are very needy for starting pitchers. But Chad is not a $19 million pitcher. We have the money and the flexibility to overpay for specific free agents but I think this is absurd

We only had 105 million on the books for 2021. Adding Gausman back saves some face in the rotation and gives us a trade deadline chip. There aren't exactly a ton of decent SP out there, and the ones available are looking for longterm money. The Gausman QO actually made sense.
Originally posted by Garce:

No, I don't agree. You're basing this off nothing but your feelings.

Feelings? Qualifying offers almost NEVER get accepted. They are given to guarantee a draft pick coming back. Most players who get them turn them down because they are much worse of an option than the contracts they are offered elsewhere. The fact that Gausman jumped on this contract says all that needs to be said.

I'm not mad or anything. It is what it is. But what it is, is just really stupid IMO. There were only six players in all of baseball that were offered QOs. SIX.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We only had 105 million on the books for 2021. Adding Gausman back saves some face in the rotation and gives us a trade deadline chip. There aren't exactly a ton of decent SP out there, and the ones available are looking for longterm money. The Gausman QO actually made sense.

I agree. Baseball does not have a cap. Worst case scenario; he sucks and doesnt get re signed to a deal in 2022.
My guess is the Mets go hard on Springer and Bauer
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

The old regime would have given him a 3-4 year deal.

I don't have a problem with it. We didn't lose any payroll flexibility for that stacked 2021 free agent class.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:

I don't have a problem with it. We didn't lose any payroll flexibility for that stacked 2021 free agent class.

Don't get too far ahead, the giants wanted to sign him to a multi year deal, it could still happen

This is a Saban move.

Nope, I don't see it.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:

Yup
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I'd be fine signing Gausman long term.

He has a year to see if he's a starter, I think he could be a very good closer.

His changeup is nasty.
Share 49ersWebzone