There are 199 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by JustinMT:
The New York Yankees announced on Monday that they will retire the numbers of recent legends Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams.

News of New York honoring Pettitte broke over the weekend after a tweet from the left-hander's son.

In addition, Willie Randolph, a member of the club's 1977 and 1978 world championship teams, will be honored with a plaque in Monument Park.

I never really understood the hype with Andy Pettitte. I feel like if he had spent his career on the Twins he wouldve been viewed differently. He was a good pitcher, but not necessarily a great pitcher. He kind of made his name on the win totals he racked up with that big Yankees offense behind him.

He certainly is not HOF worthy based on regular season stats. But what has made Pettitte is his post season success. The guy has the most starts, most innings, and most wins in MLB history. When you combine that with 5 WS rings you can see why he would be considered a Yankee great as that is always what has defined that team.

I understand his playoff reputation, but the Yankees have dozens of World Series winning regulars. IMO retiring a number is for the best of the best. They can retire any number they want, but Posada, Williams, and Pettitte dont really belong in the same group as Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle.
Originally posted by jrg:
Report: MLB to announce three pace of play changes on Friday

1. Managers must challenge replays from dugout
2. Batters must keep one foot in box unless an established exception occurs
3. Play to resume promptly once broadcast returns from commercial break

link

Agree with 1 and 3. Number two never bothered me. Their routines are part of the game to me.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

link

Agree with 1 and 3. Number two never bothered me. Their routines are part of the game to me.

good changes I think, anything to speed up the game
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

link

I dont understand this whole "speed up the game" outcry. Do you not like baseball? Why are we trying to hurry through the game? Do you have somewhere more important to be? Let the game play out at its natural pace. These changes are based around casual fans with short attention spans.

This opinion is a product of the east coast narcissism from thinking Red Sox/Yankees games represent all of baseball. Both teams like to stall as much as possible, and now the east coast fans and media all think the entire game needs changing.

link

I dont understand this whole "speed up the game" outcry. Do you not like baseball? Why are we trying to hurry through the game? Do you have somewhere more important to be? Let the game play out at its natural pace. These changes are based around casual fans with short attention spans.

This opinion is a product of the east coast narcissism from thinking Red Sox/Yankees games represent all of baseball. Both teams like to stall as much as possible, and now the east coast fans and media all think the entire game needs changing.

No ones trying to hurry through the game. They've barely changed anything lol

link

its to appease to the casual fans. they already know the real fans like us are going to watch.
Also, what's gonna stop batters from leaving the batters box between pitches? What happens if they do
Originally posted by crabman82:

link

its to appease to the casual fans. they already know the real fans like us are going to watch.

exactly, they are just trying to increase their fan base
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I don't see any need to "speed" up the game either.
Only thing I wish they would eliminate is all the timeouts batters/pitchers are allowed to have. You don't have to readjust your gloves after every pitch. Its so annoying how so many batters do it.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Cole Hamels should be a Cardinal, but Philly isn't getting Carlos Martinez.

Sorry

Jesus Montero lost 40 lbs this offseason. That ice cream he threw at that scout must have been his last.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
haha yeah he was a chubby little dude before
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Jesus Montero lost 40 lbs this offseason. That ice cream he threw at that scout must have been his last.

but has he learned how to be good at baseball now
Originally posted by crabman82:

link

exactly, they are just trying to increase their fan base

I agree with number 1 because last year's system was the Dumbest in any sport. Managers walk gingerly out to first base and argue a little, mainly killing time while looking back into the dugout only to find out there was no reason to challenge, then saying nevermind and walking back. Lol, so dumb. Glad they changed something. Either challenge or don't. I could care less with speeding up the game, the rule was stupid.
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Feb 22, 2015 at 4:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone