There are 223 users in the forums

11 Time WS Champion St. Louis Cardinals Thread

Do you think Matheny may be on the hot seat though James? Its hard to follow up someone as great as LaRussa and Matheny has had some great teams but I can imagine people in St. Louis getting impatient after the last couple years.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Do you think Matheny may be on the hot seat though James? Its hard to follow up someone as great as LaRussa and Matheny has had some great teams but I can imagine people in St. Louis getting impatient after the last couple years.

Not at all. Dude is a candidate for Manager Of The Year. One thing I question with him is his use of the bullpen and SOME stuff situational stuff during the game. There were times this year the Cardinals would be tied 5-5 in the 8th in a big game and he'd pull someone like Holliday and put in Peter Bourjos. He has his times, but I don't think his seat is warm at all.

Has a .579 winning percentage as a manager...and YES, I know....post season is what matters. I give it one more year. Right now? No, he is fine. If the Cardinals do what they normally do and are in the mix and they fail again next year? Perhaps. Anybody who follows the Cardinals even just a little knows of the injuries the Cardinals had this year. He did a HELL of a job pulling the strings. That is why he is one of the top candidates for MOTY.

Now looking ahead. Say next season the Cardinals ARE healthy and they get off to a bad start, sure you may see some getting frustrated. Outside of this year, the guy has had his team in the NLCS for what seems like forever.

I'm excited for next season. Barring any crazy freak injuries like we had with Wainwright and the consistent bad luck with injuries overall, and I think Matheny will have the Cardinals right back towards the top of the NL.
There is no chance that Matheny's job is in jeopardy. It isnt his fault that the Cards got beat by a better team.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There is no chance that Matheny's job is in jeopardy. It isnt his fault that the Cards got beat by a better team.

...what? Lol
Originally posted by jrg:

...what? Lol

Cubs were the better team. More power, better lineup, and the best starter. Not rocket science. The better team won.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

...what? Lol

Cubs were the better team. More power, better lineup, and the best starter. Not rocket science. The better team won.

Well if you believe that, wouldn't that be a reason for Matheny's job to be in jeopardy? Isn't it his job to make sure that isn't the case? Your few sentences literally contradicted each other.

...what? Lol

Well if you believe that, wouldn't that be a reason for Matheny's job to be in jeopardy? Isn't it his job to make sure that isn't the case? Your few sentences literally contradicted each other.

Not at all. Matheny didn't make strategic mistakes that cost his team the win. He simply ran into a team that was stronger.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

...what? Lol

Not at all. Matheny didn't make strategic mistakes that cost his team the win. He simply ran into a team that was stronger.

Then his job should be in jeopardy. How many Stellas have you had?!

...what? Lol

I think you're arguing with the wrong person...John said Matheny's job shouldnt be in jeopardy, and that's because the Cubs were just better. Not much he could do.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

...what? Lol

I think you're arguing with the wrong person...John said Matheny's job shouldnt be in jeopardy, and that's because the Cubs were just better. Not much he could do.

Understood. But if you are the owner/GM/fan of the Cardinals, since when did "Oh, the other team was better" become acceptable?

That is what costs guys jobs. It is Matheny's job to make sure that isn't the case. He has been incredible as a manager of the Cardinals, but hearing "the other team was just better" doesn't fly here.

Bush stadium. Fitting name for a sissy team like the cardinalsz
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Bush stadium. Fitting name for a sissy team like the cardinalsz

You should do standup
I got no issues with the Cardinals, it's a hell of an accomplishment to go to 4 straight NLCS trips. Congrats on a great season despite injuries, as a Giants fan I gotta tip my cap. I have to say I have more respect for the Cards than I did the Phillies when they were relevant.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I got no issues with the Cardinals, it's a hell of an accomplishment to go to 4 straight NLCS trips. Congrats on a great season despite injuries, as a Giants fan I gotta tip my cap. I have to say I have more respect for the Cards than I did the Phillies when they were relevant.

Thanks for that man. Lot of respect for what your team accomplished as well.
Originally posted by Niners99:

...what? Lol

I guess this is too hard for James to understand. LOL He must still be in shock that the BTIB lost. Matheny did a great job this year with the roster he was given. The Cubs simply had more fire power and had the better roster when it counted. DUH
Share 49ersWebzone