There are 177 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Garcia:
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

Pence is on pace to play 162 in the outfield, something no outfielder in a Giants Uni has ever done.
He is also on pace for 20+ HRs and 20+ steals, few people in the league can do that.
He is a decent defender.
Great arm. Top 5 in assists I believe.
Good Speed.
He will hit anywhere from around .270 - .300

I'm not really sure what else you could ask of a player? He is a pretty damn good ball player, he just isnt great at anything, an X-factor would be he is great in the locker room. He is not a #4 hitter he should be hitting 5th or 6th. But that being said I'd rather over-pay for a guy who is playing everyday and does a lot of things well than a guy who can do a few things exceptionally well and maybe is often injured.

Not to mention he is a work out warrior and he will never pull an Aubrey Huff and come into the the season out of shape.

He's good and I like him as a player but he's headed for a decline and will want way too much money. If he loves it here so much he should take is QO and prove he deserves a long-term contract.

I would not give him a penny over what they gave Pagan. 4/40 If he wants more than that he can walk.

Who replaces Pence, and for how much?

Again, Sabeans failure to have a good minor league system and develop hitters puts him in a situation that he will most likely overpay for Pence. Let me ask you.. what if the asking price is 5 years/70 million . Would you do that just because we have no one else?
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

Pence is on pace to play 162 in the outfield, something no outfielder in a Giants Uni has ever done.
He is also on pace for 20+ HRs and 20+ steals, few people in the league can do that.
He is a decent defender.
Good Speed.

I'm not really sure what else you could ask of a player? He is a pretty damn good ball player, he just isnt great at anything, an X-factor would be he is great in the locker room. He is not a #4 hitter he should be hitting 5th or 6th. But that being said I'd rather over-pay for a guy who is playing everyday and does a lot of things well than a guy who can do a few things exceptionally well and maybe is often injured.

Not to mention he is a work out warrior and he will never pull an Aubrey Huff and come into the the season out of shape.

He's good and I like him as a player but he's headed for a decline and will want way too much money. If he loves it here so much he should take is QO and prove he deserves a long-term contract.

I would not give him a penny over what they gave Pagan. 4/40 If he wants more than that he can walk.

Tough to say, but if we didn't trade him because he loves it here so much then he should take a discount.

Pence is probs going to get just as much if not just a little less than Choo.

He is a decent defender.
Good Speed.

Again, Sabeans failure to have a good minor league system and develop hitters puts him in a situation that he will most likely overpay for Pence. Let me ask you.. what if the asking price is 5 years/70 million . Would you do that just because we have no one else?

I wouldn't pay that much and I suspect neither will anyone else, even crazy Sabean. That's way too much for a guy his age with those numbers.

I'd make the QO, let him test the waters (which will likely be in the 3/36M-4/50M range) and go from there.

And totally agree on Sabes' failures, but it still doesn't answer the question of who else/how much. Because there isn't a clear/legit answer, Pence has to be in the equation even though his overall numbers are comparatively lacking.
I would have taken 1 good prospect. What is the point in keeping him at this point anyway?

if i give Sabean the benefit of the doubt, he believes that our squad just hit a rough patch of injury and fatigue. this is still the same squad that won the WS. if we keep guys like Pence and Lopez and make a couple more signings, we'd be able to compete. not to mention continued progression from Crawford and hopefully Belt.

"You won't give us Miguel Cabrera straight up for Javier Lopez? HOW EMBARRASSING"

As for not trading Lopez...
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
if i give Sabean the benefit of the doubt, he believes that our squad just hit a rough patch of injury and fatigue. this is still the same squad that won the WS. if we keep guys like Pence and Lopez and make a couple more signings, we'd be able to compete. not to mention continued progression from Crawford and hopefully Belt.

this. WS hangover, injuries, bad breaks...i would like to see how this team performs with a few additions and less subtractions next season.
I would have taken 1 good prospect. What is the point in keeping him at this point anyway?

"You won't give us Miguel Cabrera straight up for Javier Lopez? HOW EMBARRASSING"

But .. if Javy loves it here couldnt he come back?
Originally posted by boast:

this. WS hangover, injuries, bad breaks...i would like to see how this team performs with a few additions and less subtractions next season.

I think more subtractions.. such as pounds on Fat Boy.
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs1m
Sabean called offers for Pence, others "marginal" and "embarrassing." Wants to re-sign Pence, Lopez and Timmy.
Sabean called offers for Pence, others "marginal" and "embarrassing." Wants to re-sign Pence, Lopez and Timmy.

Maybe that tells you what the league actually thinks about Hunter Pence. Afterall, the Giants didnt have to give up much to get him. Just sayin.

But .. if Javy loves it here couldnt he come back?

good point, but his enthusiasm towards that possibility wasn't as high as HP's.

I think more subtractions.. such as pounds on Fat Boy.

notice how he's dropped some weight since working out during the AS break and trying to get back in shape, he's hit so much better. get slim, panda!!

notice how he's dropped some weight since working out during the AS break and trying to get back in shape, he's hit so much better. get slim, panda!!

I fully expect him to get in shape since he will be playing for a contract. Being in shape this year just didnt make any sense for him.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
You dont trade away players unless you have someone better or equal to replace them.

Lopez we could replace, IMO. but Pence, we all know we lack OF depth so we got to keep him around.

Maybe that tells you what the league actually thinks about Hunter Pence. Afterall, the Giants didnt have to give up much to get him. Just sayin.

Very, very true. Which, btw, will likely help in getting him back here for a reasonable rate.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

I fully expect him to get in shape since he will be playing for a contract. Being in shape this year just didnt make any sense for him.

speaks on his attitude. if he rakes and we suck next season, God forbid, that's really good trade bait.
Share 49ersWebzone