There are 258 users in the forums

Kevin Durant

Not a big market matchup for sure, but in truth - I think the NBA is set up more to market their stars than their teams. Sure Kobe being in LA doesn't hurt, but you can't tell me that people wouldn't watch Kobe in a Pacers - Grizz - Raptors - etc.... jersey just as easily.

Stars sell the game in the NBA vs. teams selling the game in the NFL. Durant vs. Lebron for the next 10+ years sounds great to me.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Not a big market matchup for sure, but in truth - I think the NBA is set up more to market their stars than their teams. Sure Kobe being in LA doesn't hurt, but you can't tell me that people wouldn't watch Kobe in a Pacers - Grizz - Raptors - etc.... jersey just as easily.

Stars sell the game in the NBA vs. teams selling the game in the NFL. Durant vs. Lebron for the next 10+ years sounds great to me.

Nope. Duncan has been arguably the best player of his era and isn't marketed in the least by the league. You don't think if he played in LA or NY his face would be everywhere? LeBron is different because he was market ready by ESPN before he even got drafted. Also look at Gasol, he's pretty much the same player he was in Memphis and was a nobody there. Goes to LA now he's a household name.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Nope. Duncan has been arguably the best player of his era and isn't marketed in the least by the league. You don't think if he played in LA or NY his face would be everywhere? LeBron is different because he was market ready by ESPN before he even got drafted. Also look at Gasol, he's pretty much the same player he was in Memphis and was a nobody there. Goes to LA now he's a household name.

I respectfully disagree. Duncan does not have a marketable game. Regardless of where he plays he lacks and has lacked the flare and creativity to draw the younger fans which is what drives the NBA. How many Duncan jerseys have you seen in your local mall? Fundamentals will never be flaunted like flash will unfortunately.

And as far as Gasol goes - there is only 1 reason anyone knows his name and that reason wears number 24. Durant has the best of both worlds - he is fundamentally sound and has a bit of pizzaz.
Originally posted by crzy:
Top Tier
Lebron
Kobe
Wade

Second Tier
Howard
Paul

Third Tier
Dirk
Bosh
Duncan
Melo
Roy
Durant

Dirk 3rd tier? you knew i had to post something Dirk is a 2nd tier player!

I respectfully disagree. Duncan does not have a marketable game. Regardless of where he plays he lacks and has lacked the flare and creativity to draw the younger fans which is what drives the NBA. How many Duncan jerseys have you seen in your local mall? Fundamentals will never be flaunted like flash will unfortunately.

And as far as Gasol goes - there is only 1 reason anyone knows his name and that reason wears number 24. Durant has the best of both worlds - he is fundamentally sound and has a bit of pizzaz.

I think you're right on point here. Historically, big men haven't been as popular as wings have been, even if they've been better players. Maybe it's because the Average Joe can't relate to a guy that's 7 feet tall and 300 pounds, I dunno. Shaq is one of the few players that's bucked this trend, due to his fun/goofy personality and larger than life game. Shaq was an NBA superstar from Day 1, in Orlando of all places. LeBron did the same thing in Cleveland.

As for Gasol...he's the 2nd best player on the NBA champions. I'm still not exactly sure he's a household name either.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I think you're right on point here. Historically, big men haven't been as popular as wings have been, even if they've been better players. Maybe it's because the Average Joe can't relate to a guy that's 7 feet tall and 300 pounds, I dunno. Shaq is one of the few players that's bucked this trend, due to his fun/goofy personality and larger than life game. Shaq was an NBA superstar from Day 1, in Orlando of all places. LeBron did the same thing in Cleveland.

As for Gasol...he's the 2nd best player on the NBA champions. I'm still not exactly sure he's a household name either.

I actually thought Gasol has improved while he has been on the Lakers. And agree totally on the big man popularity.

And come on, Duncan? That guy is so boring! He doesn't have any emotions at all when he plays, lol. People want to see the pump fist or the celebration.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I actually thought Gasol has improved while he has been on the Lakers. And agree totally on the big man popularity.

And come on, Duncan? That guy is so boring! He doesn't have any emotions at all when he plays, lol. People want to see the pump fist or the celebration.

You forget his constant complaining to refs. That's the only time he shows emotion.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by jrg:
Tyreke Evans FTW

Durant >>>>>>>>>>>>> Evans

Evans is only a rookie, so we'll see

this. I posted it as a joke. Evans has the potential to be better, he is a lebron james protoge. IMO

Very strange comparison

I think they are similar for some reason.

Lebron has a dominating inside game..Kevin Durant is a great shooter with a decent inside game.....I see him as a Dwayne Wade..
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I wonder if Portland wishes they drafted Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden.

Originally posted by jrg:
I wonder if Portland wishes they drafted Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden.

Double whammy for the great Northwest...I'm sure Seattle now regrets letting the Sonics go.

Share 49ersWebzone