Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by Amir:
When is Mercito Gesta's next fight?

This saturday

For some reason I thought it was September

Gesta is another one of those fighters that are a marqee fight away from a title shot. I followed him when he started out. He co headlined a few fights with my cousin around San Diego.

I really wanna see him succeed.

So far they have been doing a good job of managing his career. He almost landed a fight against JMM last year. I thought that would have been a little out of his zone. Nothing he does stands out but he is a good all around fighter. He has a difficult time getting marketed at this point because outside of die hard fans he is not well known. He needs a name oponent at this point of his career that can put his name out there.

This saturday

Gesta is another one of those fighters that are a marqee fight away from a title shot. I followed him when he started out. He co headlined a few fights with my cousin around San Diego.

So far they have been doing a good job of managing his career. He almost landed a fight against JMM last year. I thought that would have been a little out of his zone. Nothing he does stands out but he is a good all around fighter. He has a difficult time getting marketed at this point because outside of die hard fans he is not well known. He needs a name oponent at this point of his career that can put his name out there.

I heard about the rumored JMM fight. I support Gesta, but JMM would've taken that W no doubt.

This saturday

I heard about the rumored JMM fight. I support Gesta, but JMM would've taken that W no doubt.

Smart management and some luck I guess. Sometimes you have to take risks in a fighters career, like Josesito Lopez, but you also have to take calculated risks. I am still thinking Lopez against Alvarez is a bit much for Lopez. But hopefully he comes out a better fighter for it and doesn't get ruined by Alvarez.

This saturday

Smart management and some luck I guess. Sometimes you have to take risks in a fighters career, like Josesito Lopez, but you also have to take calculated risks. I am still thinking Lopez against Alvarez is a bit much for Lopez. But hopefully he comes out a better fighter for it and doesn't get ruined by Alvarez.

I agree on Lopez. The guy is a warrior and fights with a lot of heart. IMO I think Canelo is way too much for him. Hopefully it's still entertaining.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Didn't see Ghost fight, but from what I heard, I agree with silky, he has a ton of potential @ jr welterweight.

@Niner_Demon, how's your cuz been doing? I just got back from a research hiatus (trapped on an island with a bunch of researchers, thank goodness for booze and females with lowered expectations, lol!!!!!) so only got to watch the Ortiz-Lopez bout back in June...how was the Broner fight? Is he moving up in weight?

Also, how'd the Khan-Garcia upset go? Hope Garcia gets looked @ for PBF, think it'd be a good matchup, that or Mattythse, who DESERVES a title shot ASAP!!!! Any talks about a Khan-Maidana II? Seeing both have had some rough results their last bouts (Maidana to Alexander and Khan to Garcia), why not put up another FOTY candidate to get their names back in title contention?

Finally, anyone know if/when the Orlando Salido-Mikey Garcia fight going down?

Sup bro?. Chris is doing good. Had a win by KO on ESPN a few weeks back.

KO? Wow, definitely need to look that up...
The Association of Boxing Commission ("ABC") at its recent conference in Clearwater, Florida, took an important step in the prevention of abuse of performance enhancing drugs ("PED's"). The ABC unanimously voted to adopt the World Anti-Doping ("WADA") Prohibited List, thus standardizing the list of prohibited drugs among states and tribes.

This accomplishes several things.

1) It standardizes substances which are prohibited among the different jurisdictions.

2) It simplifies the ability to check whether substances are prohibited since WADA keeps a comprehensive list on line at http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-Doping_Program/WADP-Prohibited-list/2012/WADA_Prohibited_List_2012_EN.pdf (or simply put "WADA Prohibited List" in your search engine).

3) It makes it possible for Fighters to, in many cases, determine whether specific drugs contain prohibited substances since WADA and associated groups have an interactive website where the name of a drug can be entered and the website will inform the viewer whether the drug is prohibited. See http://www.globaldro.com/ and follow the prompts or just put "globaldro" into a search engine. For instance, if one enters "ibuprofen" one will find it is not prohibited. If one enters "testosterone," the substance shows up as clearly prohibited.

4) The list is maintained in English and Spanish and can be accessed by iphones and mobile devices.

There are rare instances where a fighter may be legitimately prescribed what would otherwise be a prohibited drug, such as typical medications used by asthmatics. In such instances athletes must disclose the use prior to competition, prior to any testing, and must apply for a therapeutic use exemption. For a therapeutic use exemption application a fighter should contact the athletic commission of his/her home jurisdiction and any jurisdiction where they have a bout scheduled. Disclosure and a therapeutic use exemption is crucial; otherwise using a prescribed drug on the prohibited list or containing substances on the prohibited list will be grounds for discipline.

Fighters should also take great care as to any supplements they may take, as they are accountable for taking such supplements as well if a drug test turns up positive for a PED due to a substance in a supplement.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Good move by the ABC. I'm all for stricter drug tests and easier to read/understand the prohibited substances.
Good move by the ABC. I'm all for stricter drug tests and easier to read/understand the prohibited substances.

This. It is a good start and it will force the smaller comissions to be more uniform across the board with their testing. Plus it wiges the fighters more knowledge on what supplements they shouldn't take.
I remember when boxing used to be a big deal at the Olympics and all the US matches were shown. Amazing how much boxing has declined.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I remember when boxing used to be a big deal at the Olympics and all the US matches were shown. Amazing how much boxing has declined.

The last solid class was 84.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

This.

88 had RJJ, 92 had DLH and 96 had Floyd but that's about it.

Why do you think boxing has dropped off in popularity in the Olympics demon. Lack of talent on the US team?

This.

88 had RJJ, 92 had DLH and 96 had Floyd but that's about it.

Why do you think boxing has dropped off in popularity in the Olympics demon. Lack of talent on the US team?

Different style of boxing than what is being taught. Plus the olympic scoring system has screwed many fighters over. (Roy Jones). The most important factor is money. Everyone wants to turn pro at the age of 18. Nobody wants to wait to compete every 4 years.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Different style of boxing than what is being taught. Plus the olympic scoring system has screwed many fighters over. (Roy Jones). The most important factor is money. Everyone wants to turn pro at the age of 18. Nobody wants to wait to compete every 4 years.

Can't fault a man for wanting to make money. Also, Olympic Boxing is not very aesthetically pleasing to watch to the casual fan. It's like watching Floyd fight without the popularity.

Can't fault a man for wanting to make money. Also, Olympic Boxing is not very aesthetically pleasing to watch to the casual fan. It's like watching Floyd fight without the popularity.

I can apreciate a style like Floyd's, but I know it wont sell on a smaller scale. Floyd's draw early on was people wanting to see him get his ass wooped.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

I can apreciate a style like Floyd's, but I know it wont sell on a smaller scale. Floyd's draw early on was people wanting to see him get his ass wooped.

Oh I agree, I love Floyd's fighting style and appreciate his defense. It just isn't what a casual fan wants to see. If you fight like Floyd and aren't popular or hated or both, you won't be a big draw.
Share 49ersWebzone