There are 252 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
A few targets I have my eye on for the 49ers:

Vet #2 TE: TE market has been incredible slow these first few days in FA. We could snag a budget buy vet like Austin Hooper or Robert Tonyan for a fair price.

Cheap RT competition: Greg Little and Cameron Flemming are two guys that could be spot starters at T and/or provide solid backup depth across our OL. Flemming signed for the vet min last year in DEN, so he wouldn't be expensive. Went to college at Stanford, so there's a regional connection.

DL depth: I don't know if we can afford the Leonard Floyds of the world but there's still a fair amount of lower tier talent out there. Sign Clelin Ferrell as the next Omeniheu on a vet min contract, target Oshane Ximines on a vet min deal as pure EDGE competition with Drake Jackson, re-sign Jordan Willis, and then draft an EDGE player on Day 3. For interior, we can re-sign McGill for the vet min.

Vet CBs: We lost E-Man and Ward, and we should eventually move on from DJ. Greedy Williams could be a target as Wilks coached him when he was CLE's DC in 2019. Bradley Roby is also a vet guy that Adam Peters knows very well. Out of all of these players, I think we snag a Greedy Williams and a depth/ST player like Myles Hartsfield - both have ties with our DC. From there we can further reload in the draft, but I think Lynch and Shanahan want to give Warmack and Thomas fair shots.

ST: Eddy Pinerio would be a good choice as a vet K to replace Gould. However, we should find a longer-term solution in the draft. We shouldn't allocate $12M to pure ST players like K, P, and LS.

This is really good (and the FO have done well with finding that DL depth recently), totally agree on Womack (at slot ?) too. They'll probably wait for FAs seeing which players drop their asking prices and whether they can re-sign anyone.

Still think there's something in Ambry Thomas coming back too, as you say. Wouldn't be shocked if he was the starter opposite Ward
[ Edited by UKNiner on Mar 15, 2023 at 10:46 AM ]
I saw OverTheCap has us at $12M in cap room after Fred's restructure.
So how much do we actually need to set aside for the Rookie Pool? I saw one site indicate $9M... which surprises me because we don't have very high picks... but then again, we do have a large volume of picks (that we'll probably use to trade up).
If you search for "Draft resources" / "rookie pool estimates" with OTC and click on team name it does each draft pick for you.

$9 million does look about right, looking at this.
[ Edited by UKNiner on Mar 15, 2023 at 11:20 AM ]
Or I could give you the link

https://overthecap.com/draft
Originally posted by UKNiner:
If you search for "Draft resources" / "rookie pool estimates" with OTC and click on team name it does each draft pick for you.

Wouldn't Bosa's extension take care of that? I don't think you have to sign your rookies right away. I think you have to the beginning of training camp. So I think they should be able to spend all $12 Million. Plus CMC will have his contract restructured by then also.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Wouldn't Bosa's extension take care of that? I don't think you have to sign your rookies right away. I think you have to the beginning of training camp. So I think they should be able to spend all $12 Million. Plus CMC will have his contract restructured by then also.

This
Lynch must have more signings in mind. He didn't just restructure Warner because he was bored.
Originally posted by GEEK:
A few targets I have my eye on for the 49ers:

Vet #2 TE: TE market has been incredible slow these first few days in FA. We could snag a budget buy vet like Austin Hooper or Robert Tonyan for a fair price.

Cheap RT competition: Greg Little and Cameron Flemming are two guys that could be spot starters at T and/or provide solid backup depth across our OL. Flemming signed for the vet min last year in DEN, so he wouldn't be expensive. Went to college at Stanford, so there's a regional connection.

DL depth: I don't know if we can afford the Leonard Floyds of the world but there's still a fair amount of lower tier talent out there. Sign Clelin Ferrell as the next Omeniheu on a vet min contract, target Oshane Ximines on a vet min deal as pure EDGE competition with Drake Jackson, re-sign Jordan Willis, and then draft an EDGE player on Day 3. For interior, we can re-sign McGill for the vet min.

Vet CBs: We lost E-Man and Ward, and we should eventually move on from DJ. Greedy Williams could be a target as Wilks coached him when he was CLE's DC in 2019. Bradley Roby is also a vet guy that Adam Peters knows very well. Out of all of these players, I think we snag a Greedy Williams and a depth/ST player like Myles Hartsfield - both have ties with our DC. From there we can further reload in the draft, but I think Lynch and Shanahan want to give Warmack and Thomas fair shots.

ST: Eddy Pinerio would be a good choice as a vet K to replace Gould. However, we should find a longer-term solution in the draft. We shouldn't allocate $12M to pure ST players like K, P, and LS.

This is really good (and the FO have done well with finding that DL depth recently), totally agree on Womack (at slot ?) too. They'll probably wait for FAs seeing which players drop their asking prices and whether they can re-sign anyone.

Still think there's something in Ambry Thomas coming back too, as you say. Wouldn't be shocked if he was the starter opposite Ward
Good job on this one Geek and I agree Uk that asking prices should eventually come down.

Yup rookies don't sign until later. Between Bosa adn C Mac they'll clear the necessary numbers.

Bosas cap number will go down this year.

Lynch must have more signings in mind. He didn't just restructure Warner because he was bored.

Restructuring Warner's contract and not making an effort to bring Moseley back, makes me believe Lynch could be looking to sign a Cb ( Slay, hopefully )
  • thl408
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

Bosa is currently at $17.8 cap hit for 2023. Would it go down to around $10ish after an extension?
Looks like the Niners are signing Clelin Ferrell.
Bosa's going to want nearer to $30m a year for the extension (?), I have literally no idea how they get that one done.
[ Edited by UKNiner on Mar 15, 2023 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

I meant Bosa's extension would take care of the money owed to our rookies.
Share 49ersWebzone