There are 180 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Updated it again, 2021 Offseason Plan (49erscap.com)

Key moves.

Re-Signings:

QB Nick Mullens 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
RB Jeff Wilson Jr. 1yr $920K
RB Austin Walter 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
FB Kyle Juszyzck to a 5-year deal, worth $5.25M a year, $8M fully GTD, $2M injury GTD
WR Kendrick Bourne to 2-year deal, worth $2.5M a year, $2.95M fully GTD
WR River Cracraft 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
TE Jordan Reed to a 1-year deal, worth $850K
TE Ross Dwelley 1yr $920K
C Ben Garland to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
C Hroniss Grasu 1yr $850K
C Tony Bergstrom 1yr $850K
RG Daniel Brunskill 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
LT Trent Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $38.45M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
DE Kerry Hyder Jr. to a 3-year deal, worth $3M a year, $3.1M fully GTD
DE Ronald Blair III to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
DE Jordan Willis 1yr $850K
NT D.J. Jones to a 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $7.3M fully GTD, $2.7M injury GTD
MLB Joe Walker 1yr $850K
CB Richard Sherman to a 3-year deal, worth $10M a year, $11.85M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
CB K'Waun Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $8M a year, $10.2M fully GTD, $2.45M injury GTD
CB Jason Verrett to a 3-year deal, worth $4M a year, $4.2M fully GTD
CB Emmanuel Moseley 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
CB Jamar Taylor 1yr $850K
CB Ken Webster 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
SS Johnathan Cyprien 1yr $850K
SS Marcell Harris 1yr $920K
SS Chris Edwards 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
LS Taybor Pepper 1yr $920K

Reserve/Futures deals(Practice Squaders, all minimum salary deals).

FB Josh Hokit 2yr
WR Jauan Jennings 2yr
WR Kevin White 1yr
WR Shawn Poindexter 2yr
TE Chase Harrell 2yr
TE Daniel Helm 2yr
RG Dakoda Shepley 2yr
DE Alex Barrett 2yr
DT Willie Henry Jr. 1yr
NT Darrion Daniels 2yr
NT Josiah Coatney 2yr
SLB Jonas Griffith 2yr
CB Tim Harris Jr. 2yr
CB Parnell Motley 2yr
FS Jared Mayden 2yr
S Kai Nacua 1yr

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $9.675M fully GTD, $1.7M injury GTD
MLB Fred Warner to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $28.457M fully GTD, $11.5M injury GTD.

Restructures/Pay Cuts:

QB Jimmy Garoppolo restructure saves $18.42M
C Weston Richburg pay cut saving $5M
DE Dee Ford pay cut saving $8M
DE Arik Armstead restructure saves $4.528M
FS Jimmie Ward restructure saves $5.86M

Some notes, this isn't a lot of signings, despite what some may say, Mullens & Moseley are RFA tenders, Brunskill, Webster, Cracraft, Walter & Edwards are ERFA tenders, Wilson, Harris, Dwelley, Pepper are Non-Tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, Walker, Cyprien, Grasu, Bergstrom, Reed, Willis, & Taylor are 1yr vet minimum deals, the 16 reserve/futures deals are all practice squad players(this always happens every year), while the only deals that are multi year deals are Bourne, Juice, Hyder, Trent, K'Waun, Sherman, Verrett, Jones, Warner & Mostert, and the only other deals worth more than the minimum are Blair & Garland's.

The team only has 33 players signed for 2021, so yes the 77 players I have signed seems like ok, that's a lot to re-sign, the 44 players, but as I said, we have 16 reserve/futures deals, that leaves 28 players, then we have 2 RFA tenders, and 5 ERFA tenders, so that leaves 21 players, then we have 7 easy 1yr veteran minimum salary benefit deals, which just means they get paid their minimum salary based on accrued years, but only $850K counts, then 4 non-tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, so 10 players, 8 of which are UFAs signed to new multi year deals, then 2 to 1yr deals. So very easy offseason plan, I refuse to predict the draft, I'm no longer into researching about prospects anymore, too much time.

Anyway, these moves, would leave the team with $14,466,542 in cap room, if the team is able to carryover as much as $3,325,227, plus get $3.125M in LTBE credits not earned by Sherman & Compton, plus as of now $1,640,625 in per game roster bonuses not earned, and $304,500 in UDFA base salary guarantees paid back, as players can't double dip.

Obviously of these re-signings, the Sherman one depends on how well he plays the remaining 6 games, I'm even open to cutting/trading Ward, moving Sherm to FS, and Moore at SS(I have him at SS anyway, with Tartt walking).

Some other things, I have them picking up McGlinchey's 5th yr option, mainly due to the fact that the team picked up both Ward & Armstead's 5th yr options, plus GTD Reid's 5th yr option in 2017, even though Thomas's wasn't picked up, McGlinchey has shown way more than Thomas has IMO, plus I'd expect the 49ers to either extend McGlinchey or release/trade him before the option becomes GTD.

Beyond 2021, in 2022 we have 6 players eligible for extensions, Deebo, Hurd, Skule, Bosa, Greenlaw & Wishnowsky. Deebo, Bosa, & Dre will get double digit numbers IMO. After 2022, in 2023 we have 4 eligible for extensions, Aiyuk, Woerner, McKivitz, & Kinlaw, if all goes well, Aiyuk & Kinlaw will get double digit numbers too. Also Bosa's 5th yr is due in May 2022, Aiyuk & Kinlaw in May 2023.

Another thing is the Hyder re-signing, I know it's low to some, but you have to realize, he's never had a double digit sack season, we're going into an offseason/season with a lowered salary cap, so teams will be cautious of giving out big money to 1yr wonders, or injured guys like Verrett. Not many teams have a lot of cap room right now for 2021 if the cap is only $175M, which is likely, unless the NFL gets a ton of revenue elsewhere, the cap won't hit anywhere near the $198.2M it is this year.

Also look at OTC, check the cap space page, it shows all teams cap room, look at the 2021 tab, look at the effective cap room, that's the real cap room the team has, as it's with 51 players signed. Not sure if he includes potential carryover.

Exactly the way I see the resignings going, 1 thing is that's the only way I'm resigning Bourne. If he accepts 3 million or less a year, I think he's a good number 4, I'd love to see the niners go out and sign a vet like Marvin Jones but my wish would be Hurd stayed healthy and became the number 3.

Yeah, I'm not going higher than $2.5M a yr, $3M maybe, but that's a bit much for a 4th WR when we only really play 3 WRs each game, and yeah I wish Hurd didn't tear his ACL, but hoping he recovers, comes back, and we have a solid trio of Deebo-Aiyuk-Hurd at WR. Just need someone who can return kicks/punts better than Taylor or James, I literally cringe every time they are back there, Taylor almost muffed one(I think), or it looked like he might, he did get a decent return out of it, but I was like don't fumble please, we had issues against 2 weeks ago with this, James fumbled/muffed one, we lost it, the team scored, then Webster idiotically was near the ball when I think Taylor called for a fair catch, and it went off of him, again leading to points. Some bad breaks this year, not just injuries, but mainly injuries, honestly we should be 7-4, we never should have lost to Miami and Philly, playing Brian Allen in the Miami game was such a mistake by Shanny, he got burned the entire game, Philly idk WTF happened that game.

Agree with all, I know this isn't the thread but I'd love to see them draft Amari Rodgers from Clemson, he'd take care of a nice slot WR and kick and punt returns
A quick explanation of why dead money doesn't matter too much in SOME cases:

PLAYER A, when cut, causes $6 million in savings, but $5 million in dead money.

If PLAYER A had not been cut, you would have been on the hook for the whole $11 million.

Although you are on the hook for $5 million, if you upgrade the position for less than the $6 million cap savings, you are still better utilizing your funds because overall you're not spending any more on the position than you otherwise would've if you kept the player and did nothing else.

Say PLAYER A plays OLB. If you sign a better OLB for $6 million, you still are spending $11 million on the position, you're just spending it more wisely now. Eventually the dead cap will clear and you'll have that money freed up for more upgrades.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 1, 2020 at 1:48 PM ]
I don't know if it was already brought up, but rumor going around is that the salary cap will stay the same next year as it is this year.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I don't know if it was already brought up, but rumor going around is that the salary cap will stay the same next year as it is this year.

Where did you hear this? Or see this? Would really help out and be amazing if so.
It would be nice if it remained the same. Perhaps the owners are willing to do that, but recoup their money down the road. I know it's based on revenue, so perhaps the owners eat it for a year or two, but then when money is back to regular, the cap still stays the same, or goes up slowly to make sure the owners recoup the money the overpaid earlier.

It would make it easy for the Niners to pretty much keep who they want this off season.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
It would be nice if it remained the same. Perhaps the owners are willing to do that, but recoup their money down the road. I know it's based on revenue, so perhaps the owners eat it for a year or two, but then when money is back to regular, the cap still stays the same, or goes up slowly to make sure the owners recoup the money the overpaid earlier.

It would make it easy for the Niners to pretty much keep who they want this off season.

Even if the rumor of a $195M cap becomes a reality, then the 49ers can keep the guys they want to keep, I still see Sherman, Tartt, Jones, and maybe K'Waun walking, sucks, but it is a business after all. I just hope they hold onto Trent, Juice, Hyder, and Verrett.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
@AB - am I right by thinking the the Niners can cut Ford with a post June 1 designation and push the dead cap hit to 2022? If I'm right, his cap hit for 2021 would drop from 20.7m to around 4.8m and a dead cap hot of 9m or so would be taken in 2022.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 17, 2020 at 5:46 AM ]
Originally posted by fip24:
@AB - am I right by thinking the the Niners can cut Ford with a post June 1 designation and push the dead cap hit to 2022? If I'm right, his cap hit for 2021 would drop from 20.7m to around 4.8m and a dead cap hot of 9m or so would be taken in 2022.
Sorry not AB but I might have an answer...

looking at OTC...it says SF will have a DM hit of around $4.8M for the next 3 yrs if he's designated a June-1st cut. $11.6M is gtd on 4/1/21 so I would imagine they would have to cut him before that. He's also got to pass a physical I would think.

AB that correct?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by fip24:
Sorry not AB but I might have an answer...

looking at OTC...it says SF will have a DM hit of around $4.8M for the next 3 yrs if he's designated a June-1st cut. $11.6M is gtd on 4/1/21 so I would imagine they would have to cut him before that. He's also got to pass a physical I would think.

AB that correct?

If cut Post June 1, he'd have $4,784,996 dead money in 2021, and $9,569,992 in 2022. It's spread out over 2 years.

I heard yesterday that the cap may be $176 million. It's all speculation at this point so until they announce it there's no point in trying to figure out who they keep and who's gone.
I wonder if they'd let Robbie Gould walk and save those 4 or 5 millions. He has been pretty good and nobody wants to have kicking issues.
If they do, don't get surprised or pissed off if they use a 4th round pick on a kicker as they did with the punter.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Could be huge to help owners get thru this rough patch & not have to drop cap as much as we thought
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
I wonder if they'd let Robbie Gould walk and save those 4 or 5 millions. He has been pretty good and nobody wants to have kicking issues.
If they do, don't get surprised or pissed off if they use a 4th round pick on a kicker as they did with the punter.

Better keep Gould bc he is at least a 2-3 game difference per year. He's that valuable until we are blowing out more teams. Pay Gould and Kyle Juice
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Where did you hear this? Or see this? Would really help out and be amazing if so.
I read an article yesterday saying that the NFL had not lost near as much money as most expected and the cap could be as high as 195 million. Florio was quoted that the league expected to set it higher than the 175 floor set early this year
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Dec 27, 2020 at 8:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone