LISTEN: The 49ers Biggest Target In Free Agency →

There are 126 users in the forums

The 49ers select WR Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida with the 31st Pick in the 2024 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Isn't CGJ back with them? They signed Bryce Huff. They signed Saquan Barkley. Wasn't Byard a bust for them? They look better and like they are paying a lot of guys on both sides of the ball.

They traded away their top edge rusher in Reddick. Kelce who has been an All Pro center since forever retired.

I don't see how they improved in anyway considering the players they've lost over the past two years.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
They lost both starting safeties, both starting LBs and those were areas they couldn't afford to in addition to Hargrave. I said last offseason they took a pretty big hit on D.

And you probably had no clue who 3 of the 4 players were until you looked up their names lol. CGJ gets tossed around like a football.

Acting like losing those guys lead to a bad defense is absurd. They replaced one safety spot with a better S. Philly's LBers have stunk since Ryans left. They replaced Hardgrave with a DT that was regarded as the best player in the draft last yr. No they most certainly didn't take a bit hit. That's a reach imo.

Why are you getting so defensive? This wasn't some wildly off base comment meant to be contentious. They lost a good amount of underrated talent at already weak positions last year and took a hit. Not a big deal to say so
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 8, 2024 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Isn't CGJ back with them? They signed Bryce Huff. They signed Saquan Barkley. Wasn't Byard a bust for them? They look better and like they are paying a lot of guys on both sides of the ball.

They traded away their top edge rusher in Reddick. Kelce who has been an All Pro center since forever retired.

I don't see how they improved in anyway considering the players they've lost over the past two years.

PHI did land Kellen Moore and Fangio, that helps some of the brain drain, of having OC and DC taken from a SB team, and not much time to reload given timing of losing a SB and needing new guys in mid Feb.

I do see PHI as one of the A list of NFC Contenders along with DAL, GB, DET, and RAMS (SF also but talking about our competition here)
Pearsall knows all about it folks

There definitely will be a drop off on the OL. I think they should still be formidable, but not the 2022 Eagles. What they have added should mitigate some of the losses. They upgraded at both coordinator positions,
but we shall see. With the threat of a healthy Saquon, they should be good on offense depending on Hurts. He will be the biggest key as to whether or not they remain a top NFC team or slide down to a fringe wild card team.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on May 8, 2024 at 7:03 PM ]

Yeah they dealt Reddick for chump change it seems, gave a non-experienced enough EDGE $17m a yr, CJGJ is IMO overrated, Deebo would punk his punk ass, him waving goodbye to the 49ers crowd, well that didn't work out well for him & the Lions lol, as for Barkley, I've never been a big time fan of his, he's a very good back, but he's not CMC IMO.

There definitely will be a drop off on the OL. I think they should still be formidable, but not the 2022 Eagles. What they have added should mitigate some of the losses. They upgraded at both coordinator positions,
but we shall see. With the threat of a healthy Saquon, they should be good on offense depending on Hurts. He will be the biggest key as to whether or not they remain a top NFC team or slide down to a fringe wild card team.

They better be good offensively with the fact they're paying 3 OL top money, LT Jordan Mailata at $22m a yr, RT Lane Johnson at $20m, & LG Landon Dickerson at $21m, but they'll have a new center with Kelce retired, plus also didn't Fletcher Cox retire?
Why are you getting so defensive? This wasn't some wildly off base comment meant to be contentious. They lost a good amount of underrated talent at already weak positions last year and took a hit. Not a big deal to say so

I'm not getting defensive. I'm proving my point that they didn't lose all this great talent on defense. Them not choosing to extend a couple low level starters was not the reason their defense wasn't as good last yr. Those guys are not underrated, they're avg to below avg starters in the league. They're replaceable.

They lost their DC and some of their other coaches on that side. Their HC isn't a defensive guy. They lead the league in 2022 with 70 sacks and one of the best turnover differentials (SF was the #1 there). those type of things aren't always easy to replicate yr after yr regardless.

the point is they're able to sign/extend most of their star players over and over. That's with having one of the highest paid QBs on their payroll. The cap can and does get manipulated. Philly does it every damn year….if losing guys like Kyzir White and Marcus Epps means you can extend guys like brown/smith/Dickerson/Johnson/Mailata/Kelce/ Graham, yeah that's not a problem imo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 9, 2024 at 4:38 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They also loss Fletcher Cox, a leader on that defense. And honestly, I'm not scared of a Fangio defense.

I'm not getting defensive. I'm proving my point that they didn't lose all this great talent on defense. Them not choosing to extend a couple low level starters was not the reason their defense wasn't as good last yr. Those guys are not underrated, they're avg to below avg starters in the league. They're replaceable.

They lost their DC and some of their other coaches on that side. Their HC isn't a defensive guy. They lead the league in 2022 with 70 sacks and one of the best turnover differentials (SF was the #1 there). those type of things aren't always easy to replicate yr after yr regardless.

the point is they're able to sign/extend most of their star players over and over. That's with having one of the highest paid QBs on their payroll. The cap can and does get manipulated. Philly does it every damn year….if losing guys like Kyzir White and Marcus Epps means you can extend guys like brown/smith/Dickerson/Johnson/Mailata/Kelce/ Graham, yeah that's not a problem imo.

Every year teams have changes that can make them better or worse. Player and coaching changes can alter the team chemistry which is so important in sports. The NFL does the schedule based on last year's team results. I guess that's the only thing they can do but it doesn't really mean that much. Teams can have a bad season if they lose one or two key players. Look at the Falcons. They are getting what is supposed to be the weakest schedule but they have some talent on that team. Cousins at QB with Penix backing him up can make them a completely different team this season. They could easily be a 10 win team this year.

I'd like to see a chart of how teams finished compared to their predicted finish over the last 10 seasons. I'm sure there would be a lot of surprises.

Actually my point was proven. I said last offseason they had not improved, but rather gotten weaker after losing a fair amount of underrated starters from the D. we can see how the season unfolded for them defensively vs. prior year. Proof is in the pudding.

Actually my point was proven. I said last offseason they had not improved, but rather gotten weaker after losing a fair amount of underrated starters from the D. we can see how the season unfolded for them defensively vs. prior year. Proof is in the pudding.

It actually wasn't. You said they lost a lot of defensive players…I said the players they lost outside of JH wasn't worth discussing. You call them underrated, but in reality they're below avg starters on most teams let alone a team that was as good as Philly was in 2022.

the proof is right in front of your face. I told you why and you didn't even acknowledge it because it doesn't help your debate. They lost their DC and other coaches. They played above what they actually were in 2022. Turnover differential and 70 sacks aren't yr to yr static things. They ended up replacing Gannon with Matt freaking Patricia lol. Yeah let's not talk about that because they lost a couple dudes that no one would have been able to say they played in Philly unless they looked it up lol.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Every year teams have changes that can make them better or worse. Player and coaching changes can alter the team chemistry which is so important in sports. The NFL does the schedule based on last year's team results. I guess that's the only thing they can do but it doesn't really mean that much. Teams can have a bad season if they lose one or two key players. Look at the Falcons. They are getting what is supposed to be the weakest schedule but they have some talent on that team. Cousins at QB with Penix backing him up can make them a completely different team this season. They could easily be a 10 win team this year.

I'd like to see a chart of how teams finished compared to their predicted finish over the last 10 seasons. I'm sure there would be a lot of surprises.

Philly played above what they actually were in 2022. Having 70 sacks is not a sustainable thing yr to yr. They had older guys playing meaningful snaps that just got older in 2023. Gannon is a good DC. Matt Patricia is not.

their offense took a nose dive dive this yr because again Hurts was playing above what he actually is…teams found a blueprint and it hurt their offense which in turn hurt their D…it sure as s**t wasn't because they lost guys like Kyzir White (65th ranked LBer this yr and Marcus Epps (55th ranked S this yr) That's like saying our defense sucked because we lost Oren Burks because he had to play a lot of snaps last yr.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 9, 2024 at 10:02 AM ]

It actually wasn't. You said they lost a lot of defensive players…I said the players they lost outside of JH wasn't worth discussing. You call them underrated, but in reality they're below avg starters on most teams let alone a team that was as good as Philly was in 2022.

the proof is right in front of your face. I told you why and you didn't even acknowledge it because it doesn't help your debate. They lost their DC and other coaches. They played above what they actually were in 2022. Turnover differential and 70 sacks aren't yr to yr static things. They ended up replacing Gannon with Matt freaking Patricia lol. Yeah let's not talk about that because they lost a couple dudes that no one would have been able to say they played in Philly unless they looked it up lol.

lol Like I said, proof is in the pudding. You can see a drastic drop from the prior season to the next. You can point to whatever you want as the reason, fact of the matter is I said those losses would hurt and the results back that. It was a MASSIVE drop for their D. Calm down man, it's just opinions.
Back go slick Rick talk….
lol Like I said, proof is in the pudding. You can see a drastic drop from the prior season to the next. You can point to whatever you want as the reason, fact of the matter is I said those losses would hurt and the results back that. It was a MASSIVE drop for their D. Calm down man, it's just opinions.

Telling me to calm down when you can't acknowledge the facts lol. I'm perfectly fine my dude.

You think losing a couple low end starters who went on to stink on their new teams just the same was the reason for a MASSIVE drop. When in reality it was the MASSIVE drop in defensive coaching gone and replaced with a proven horrible DC.

toss in their offense not putting points on the board the second half of the year (19 pts per game from the 49er game on) because everyone figured out how to stop their vanilla ass play calling….which forced the D to actually have to defend the run and no pin their ear back. Sure sure sure….losing white and Epps was the real reason 😝
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 9, 2024 at 10:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone