LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 352 users in the forums

Time for the adults to have the conversation that we need to have about Jimmy G

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with this post, and it's funny you mention Garcia because I see a lot of similarities in production as well as ridiculous undeserved fan hate.

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone"
[ Edited by mattster03 on Nov 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
GREAT POST.

The legacy that is 49er football is both a blessing and a curse. You have laid that out so well. When we look in our rear-view mirror we see quality blessing after quality blessing, with enough failure sprinkled in to teach us to appreciate more fully those blessings.

Can fans not appreciate what Jimmy brings this team without the assumption that Trey will fail?

I feel like the real adult conversation that needs to be had is that Jimmy could win the Super Bowl and yet Trey could still be our best option for the future. But this emotional fan base couldn't handle that conversation.
Why the hell is this new Jimmy thread (oh sorry not a Jimmy thread but "thread about our thoughts about Jimmy" ) okay but others get closed instantly. There's a double standard when it comes to how this place is moderated.
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Nov 23, 2022 at 10:41 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Why the hell is this new Jimmy thread (oh sorry not a Jimmy thread but "thread about our thoughts about Jimmy" ) okay but others get closed instantly. There's a double standard when it comes to how this place is moderated.

If it becomes another JG thread, it may be closed. For now, the hope is that it will be a thread devoid of all the emotional takes and speculation and just appreciate what we have against a history of 49er football.

It will be watched.
Usually when there's a long post I don't have the patience to read it. However, when someone with 25,000 posts speaks I take the time to listen. There is a quality of, for and against for Jimmy G with valid points. I have been a Jimmy G fan from day one and the progress I see this year is substantial. He has a skilled group around him that make a good QB approach great. I think we are in for a fantastic ride, this is the best team since the 94 Championship squad.
1) Montana
2) Young
3) Jimmy G

He's better than Garcia. It's not close. He's #3 in 49ers history. Should he make the Super Bowl and win he moves to #2 on the list. Ahead of Steve Young. That would mean he has been in many NFC Championship games, 2 Super Bows where he won 1 and lost 1. That would be BETTER than the Steve Young resume. I don't care anybody says.

Yeah we should keep him. He always wins when healthy. Trey hasn't shown anything. Except he's not ready to play and he's fragile.
Very good post.

I too have been fortunate enough to watch and vividly remember each of the five SB victories along with the two SB defeats. I root for Jimmy mainly because he's the QB of this team...but also because of who he is as a team leader, how his teammates respond & rally around him, his perseverance & toughness, and his ability as a very good NFL QB who, when healthy, makes this team extremely tough to beat anywhere vs. any team. He's the best QB this team has had since Garcia IMO.

We as fans of this team are fortunate to have Jimmy back considering he most likely would have been traded this past offseason if he didn't have the shoulder injury/surgery. I think his relationship with this team - the players, Kyle & John, ownership - all led to him restructuring his contract and returning this season. And, I'm thinking it keeps the door open in the future for potential negotiations to return.

I still feel bad for Lance as this year was his opportunity to show what he can do as QB1. I will always root for Lance as long as he's on this team. However, in looking at the here and now, rooting for Jimmy and the team to keep building on what they've been doing in playing very good, complementary football.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Montana
2) Young
3) Jimmy G

He's better than Garcia. It's not close. He's #3 in 49ers history. Should he make the Super Bowl and win he moves to #2 on the list. Ahead of Steve Young. That would mean he has been in many NFC Championship games, 2 Super Bows where he won 1 and lost 1. That would be BETTER than the Steve Young resume. I don't care anybody says.

Yeah we should keep him. He always wins when healthy. Trey hasn't shown anything. Except he's not ready to play and he's fragile.

Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Great another Jimmy thread

You didn't read.

I read it. But Pwns, you really didn't sink your teeth into the meaty matter until the 4th paragraph. And even then, it was wordy. If I were to doff my editor's cap, I'd pare this sucker down to two simple paragraphs that ends with a "YES" or "BITE ME" poll question.

You are also forgetting that Jimmy G. is not going to experience the same sort of success elsewhere if he is presented with a rich free agent deal. This is a team game and Jimmy is surrounded by a GREAT team with TALENT everywhere. Do you think he will find that same kind of stacked lineup on any other team looking to sign him? Short answer: He will not.

Therefore, it may come down to what Jimmy wants. Does Jimmy want money, money, money? Or does Jimmy settle for a smaller amount of money in exchange for hardware, rings and greatness?
LoL adults in the WZ?

Aa a 51 year old kid who has seen every qb the niners have started since DeBerg, I approve of this post. Jimmy is the third best niner qb since I started watching the team.
1) Montana
2) Young
3) Jimmy G

Bro you are on drugs. #2 ahead of Steve Young comon man
What a great post.

This season, I am certainly thankful for Jimmy.
  • dj43
1) Montana
2) Young
3) Jimmy G

In your opinion...those opinions are best discussed in the appropriate threads.
Share 49ersWebzone