LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 308 users in the forums

Week 3 @ Denver Broncos Coaches Film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Well Trey was gonna be the starter and Jimmy didn't start throwing till late July. He probably doesn't play in the first preseason game so is the suggestion that 2 preseason games with the backup offensive players would've had him in sync with the starters?

Yeah I think it's a bit of an excuse. He's been here for yrs and played with all these dudes. Cooper Rush stepped in and didn't look completely lost in Dallas. He didn't need all the 1st string reps and never got to get in sync with Lamb (he wasn't throwing to him in training camp).

also it's common mistakes he's been making for yrs. Tossing into double coverage, inaccurate passes, poor mechanics once there's any sniff of pressure…I mean he f**king stepped out of the back of the end zone. QB101 don't do that lol.

all that said Jimmy usually isn't THAT bad, I do expect him to play better than that going forward. I also expect the same mistakes like he's always had…he's not all of a sudden being much better than he's been at this point imo.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah. They had jimmy on a whole different practice area by himself like a pariah and didn't even give him a playbook.

Now people expect him to walk on water and come in and tear it up.

The playbook that he's known for years? Throwing to the same dudes he's been throwing to for years?

I never expect Jimmy to tear it up regardless. You don't think he's ever thrown that short in breaking route to Deebo before on 3rd down? Reading coverages doesn't change. Not stepping out of the back of the end zone shouldn't require you needed TC.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
where is the unbiased film analysis

Me too, I'm waiting on you to start your own channel, "The unbiased 49ers Film channel to rule them all".

Debut episode this Friday?
[ Edited by jonnydel on Sep 28, 2022 at 7:06 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
An elite offense in today's NFL needs to get explosives when it's just a "basic" play. Kyle has to scheme explosives because Jimmy creates these at a very low percentage. The last one I remember was Jimmy deep post to Deebo vs CHI last season. What I mean is on typical route plays, hit that deep throw. No QB hits them all, but a good QB needs to hit one or two over the course of a game and Jimmy wasn't able to. A defense that plays man-match can get confused and the 49ers had them confused on a couple plays - once Deebo ran wide open (Kittle and Deebo criss cross in trips bunch), once Aiyuk (safety on trips side rotated down; was a pass to Kittle deflected at line).

This is another (@16:12, slot fade with Aiyuk versus LB in man; just try it put it at the red star). Jimmy's best throw was wasted with the Jennings bobble.

Jimmy isn't the type of QB to flip a switch and it's game on. His lack of camp means he can't rely on timing, and coming back from an injury makes things worse. This was bottom of the sea level Jimmy so he should play better as he gets more time as starter in practice. I don't know why he treats so many passes as fadeaway jump shots. I'm not a QB guru either, but his lower body mechanics are bad, and he doesn't have the arm to make off platform throws past 15 yards. He needs to drive through when he's given the time and room to. But this is who he is at this point.

Shame that the offense clouds the defensive effort. All the chip blocking that the opposing offense is doing makes playing zone easier for the seven in coverage. DEN got some very fortunate bounces - two fumbles that bounced back to them, and a tipped ball high in the air that fell incomplete. Turnovers are luck but the chance for turnovers takes defensive skill. They come in bunches.
Thanks for the video. I don't always listen to in-video promos, but when there's a sack joke, I'm glad I did.

This is the s**t I've been saying for two yrs now! People act like the overall play calling is stagnant when in reality it isn't. Plays are there to be had, the QB has to take advantage of it. Lance would lack in certain areas early in his career, but I feel like we would hit more of these explosives this yr. It would open the field and playbook imo.

as far as his mechanics it's always been an issue imo. He throws with a lot of upper body torque, which is great for those quick pass plays "his quick release" but the lower body mechanics are a mess. He never steps into his throws and always looks like he's throwing off his back foot. He doesn't have the arm talent to do that type of stuff. It creates very inaccurate passes downfield and velocity is lacking.
I have no doubt that the 49ers spent a lot of time practicing the Trey Lance run game this offseason - that stuff was new to the team. That was all a waste of time. This run game needs to shift gears and the OL needs to come together quickly.
If the run game is struggling, I say spread it out and let Jimmy throw it. These condensed formations with two RBs in the backfield do not help a QB that prefers to throw it quick. Going spread will get the offense away from the run/pass neutral formations, but it should help Jimmy get the ball into the YAC Bros hands, and that might be worth considering within the flow of the game, maybe as a plan B. Hard playaction on seven step timing to attack behind the LBs, with Trent now out of the lineup, could lead to bad things in the upcoming weeks.

Totally agree with this. I would love a higher neutral pass rate as well.

Thanks Johnny for the analysis. I always appreciate it and it genuinely is one of the highlights of my week during football season. You're up there with The Bootleg Football podcast for me.

It is disappointing for me to see the same mistakes from Jimmy over and over again but it is what it is at this point. I think some of the issues this game may have been alleviated with some preseason work, but as you mentioned earlier the team wasn't banking on Jimmy being around. So here we are and hopefully Kyle can get out of yet another funk soon to lift up this offense. There is far too much talent here for this kind of stagnation.

I am super pumped about the defense. Wilson did miss some throws but this looks to be one of the best defenses we've seen in recent memory. At least out the gate. Holding a team to 11 points should be a victory the majority of games.

EDIT: Defense gave up only 9 points.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Sep 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM ]
Trey Lance would have seen Brandon-freaking Aiyuk matched with a LB and took a shot. Jimmy is a retarded-ass QB.

MULTIPLE TDS were left on the field because our QB went straight Kaepernick all game.

We need Trey .
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Sep 28, 2022 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Thanks Johnny for the analysis. I always appreciate it and it genuinely is one of the highlights of my week during football season. You're up there with The Bootleg Football podcast for me.

It is disappointing for me to see the same mistakes from Jimmy over and over again but it is what it is at this point. I think some of the issues this game may have been alleviated with some preseason work, but as you mentioned earlier the team wasn't banking on Jimmy being around. So here we are and hopefully Kyle can get out of yet another funk soon to lift up this offense. There is far too much talent here for this kind of stagnation.

I am super pumped about the defense. Wilson did miss some throws but this looks to be one of the best defenses we've seen in recent memory. At least out the gate. Holding a team to 11 points should be a victory the majority of games.

Actually the D only gave up 9 points. Jimmy gave up the other 2.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Trey Lance would have seen Brandon-freaking Aiyuk matched with a LB and took a shot. Jimmy is a retarded-ass QB.

MULTIPLE TDS were left on the field because our QB went straight Kaepernick all game.

We need Trey .
Good comparison

Kaep was ass at the end, in a few years some people will prop jimmy up like they do Kaep
Well done.

Here's my analysis of the game. Terrible. One good drive from each team. That would be bad in a game between the Bears and Lions. Between 2 teams with playoff ambitions it's intolerable.
An elite offense in today's NFL needs to get explosives when it's just a "basic" play. Kyle has to scheme explosives because Jimmy creates these at a very low percentage. The last one I remember was Jimmy deep post to Deebo vs CHI last season. What I mean is on typical route plays, hit that deep throw. No QB hits them all, but a good QB needs to hit one or two over the course of a game and Jimmy wasn't able to. A defense that plays man-match can get confused and the 49ers had them confused on a couple plays - once Deebo ran wide open (Kittle and Deebo criss cross in trips bunch), once Aiyuk (safety on trips side rotated down; was a pass to Kittle deflected at line).

This is another (@16:12, slot fade with Aiyuk versus LB in man; just try it put it at the red star). Jimmy's best throw was wasted with the Jennings bobble.

Jimmy isn't the type of QB to flip a switch and it's game on. His lack of camp means he can't rely on timing, and coming back from an injury makes things worse. This was bottom of the sea level Jimmy so he should play better as he gets more time as starter in practice. I don't know why he treats so many passes as fadeaway jump shots. I'm not a QB guru either, but his lower body mechanics are bad, and he doesn't have the arm to make off platform throws past 15 yards. He needs to drive through when he's given the time and room to. But this is who he is at this point.

Shame that the offense clouds the defensive effort. All the chip blocking that the opposing offense is doing makes playing zone easier for the seven in coverage. DEN got some very fortunate bounces - two fumbles that bounced back to them, and a tipped ball high in the air that fell incomplete. Turnovers are luck but the chance for turnovers takes defensive skill. They come in bunches.
Thanks for the video. I don't always listen to in-video promos, but when there's a sack joke, I'm glad I did.
The deep and mid sideline stuff is why i was happy to go to Trey.
Also the deep (wheel?) route to deebo(if jonny covered sorry, i need to have some drinks before watching this one) It should have been a TD. The throw was terrible.

I think Kyle needs to force the throws on Jimmy occasionally. We attack the middle and flats so much the switch routes are damn near gimmes. The cover 2 safety and cover 3 corners probably pinch the middle a little.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
O line was trash.

But top to bottom the whole team sucked. These guys needed to play in preseason.

Agreed.

The entire offense needs to wake-up before It's too late.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

You are correct. My post has been edited.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I have no doubt that the 49ers spent a lot of time practicing the Trey Lance run game this offseason - that stuff was new to the team. That was all a waste of time. This run game needs to shift gears and the OL needs to come together quickly.
If the run game is struggling, I say spread it out and let Jimmy throw it. These condensed formations with two RBs in the backfield do not help a QB that prefers to throw it quick. Going spread will get the offense away from the run/pass neutral formations, but it should help Jimmy get the ball into the YAC Bros hands, and that might be worth considering within the flow of the game, maybe as a plan B. Hard playaction on seven step timing to attack behind the LBs, with Trent now out of the lineup, could lead to bad things in the upcoming weeks.

Totally agree with this. I would love a higher neutral pass rate as well.

Wow, that's pathetic. If we lead the league in rush yards it may be acceptable, but DAMN.
Share 49ersWebzone