LISTEN: Way Too Early 49ers Roster Prediction →

There are 122 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by thl408:
One thing that has been consistent from Brock is that he steps up in high pressure situations. I had a count going and when I get some time I'll append, but he has stepped up in "gotta have it" situations. I'm referring to last minute drives. The most recent one being the final drive of the GB playoff game. I can make an argument that he stepped up in the SB OT drive, and that perhaps that ends with a touchdown had Burford done his job. But on that drive, no one can say that he folded. He has the clutch gene.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about him. It's a major variable in how you can gauge how good a qb really is - how they perform when it matters most. He's done great for the most part.

This is what matters. Most of these big arm QB's have s**t for brains when it comes to processing and playing under pressure, especially when it matters the most. Brock has shown that he has that clutch gene, regular season and in the playoffs. Can't wait to see how he improves going into year 3.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah I see this video as stuff that can be improved upon and realizing that he was coming back from a massive surgery. I will always say I wish his arm strength was better…there's definitely some floaters out there, but he's proven to be a damn good QB for this team. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I still think his arm is better than Montana's. All Brock needs now is to get in synch better with his receivers and get his modern version of Jerry Rice and John Taylor. If Kyle can add a few more choice/option routes - Brock will be hard to stop. Arm or no arm, with that accuracy, and with WRs that can beat man and zone.

You may be right that his arm is better than Montana's. That wasn't Joe's best attribute. His field vision was second to none and his cool in tough conditions is legendary.

Joe won his first superbowl his 3rd year. I'm hoping Brock replicates that in Brocks 3rd year.

But what a start to his career! 1st year - nfc champion, 2nd year superbowl runner up, 3rd year???
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
Originally posted by tankle104:
One thing that has been consistent from Brock is that he steps up in high pressure situations. I had a count going and when I get some time I'll append, but he has stepped up in "gotta have it" situations. I'm referring to last minute drives. The most recent one being the final drive of the GB playoff game. I can make an argument that he stepped up in the SB OT drive, and that perhaps that ends with a touchdown had Burford done his job. But on that drive, no one can say that he folded. He has the clutch gene.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about him. It's a major variable in how you can gauge how good a qb really is - how they perform when it matters most. He's done great for the most part.

This is what matters. Most of these big arm QB's have s**t for brains when it comes to processing and playing under pressure, especially when it matters the most. Brock has shown that he has that clutch gene, regular season and in the playoffs. Can't wait to see how he improves going into year 3.

I know on a 3rd and 4 if one of Brady's linemen completely whiffed on a block, Brady ain't running anywhere. I don't see a scenario where Brady would have gotten a completion there. There just wasn't enough time for anything.

Brady had elite level blocking most of his career, especially in SBs. They even made credit card commercials about his lineman. Maybe Kraft should make a cheese commercial and have our lineman in it except for a couple of guys.
Yeah I see this video as stuff that can be improved upon and realizing that he was coming back from a massive surgery. I will always say I wish his arm strength was better…there's definitely some floaters out there, but he's proven to be a damn good QB for this team. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I still think his arm is better than Montana's. All Brock needs now is to get in synch better with his receivers and get his modern version of Jerry Rice and John Taylor. If Kyle can add a few more choice/option routes - Brock will be hard to stop. Arm or no arm, with that accuracy, and with WRs that can beat man and zone.

You may be right that his arm is better than Montana's. That wasn't Joe's best attribute. His field vision was second to none and his cool in tough conditions is legendary.

Joe won his first superbowl his 3rd year. I'm hoping Brock replicates that in Brocks 3rd year.

But what a start to his career! 1st year - nfc champion, 2nd year superbowl runner up, 3rd year???

It was Joe's 3rd season but first as a full time starter. His first 2 years he was behind the great Steve DeBerg.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
He's definitely not like Steve Young.

A lot of fans fall for any QB that looks good for a game. Never got my hopes until the SEA playoff game, after that I was pretty sure he was legit. But you always need to see that 2nd year, a lot of 1 year wonders. After last year, there's no doubt he's a franchise QB

I knew he was a franchise QB at the Seattle game (his 2nd start), more than just getting my hopes up. He had it.
Sorry it took you longer to realize greatness. I have watched a lot of football..when you know, you know. Maybe do something else besides criticize ppls posts. Is that possible? Lol
At the Seattle game, he did a flawless double fake that Young also did in the same manner. Tell me they didn't look similar. How long have you watched 49ers football anyway? Or football in general?

No, this is not possible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

It was Joe's 3rd season but first as a full time starter. His first 2 years he was behind the great Steve DeBerg.

Yes! Hall of fame Steve DeBerg! who can forget that Steve.

I think current College QBs comming out of air raid type offenses have an advantage over the Joe Montana's of the 80's in that they are exposed early to timing and anticipation routs, vs the run heavy Bo Shembeckler offenses of old.

I'm thinking if Joe Montana 1.0 came out, he'd be as productive like CJ Stroud was in his first year.
  • thl408

If you expand the tweet:
(*2023 reg season, measured by EPA/att)

imo, the QB and the playcalling the two biggest factors in beating zone, whereas the QB and the WR's (route runners) are the biggest factors in beating man.

Yes! Hall of fame Steve DeBerg! who can forget that Steve.

I think current College QBs comming out of air raid type offenses have an advantage over the Joe Montana's of the 80's in that they are exposed early to timing and anticipation routs, vs the run heavy Bo Shembeckler offenses of old.

I'm thinking if Joe Montana 1.0 came out, he'd be as productive like CJ Stroud was in his first year.

All QBs have an advantage over QBs from the Montana era. Rule changes have opened up the middle of the field so it's much easier for the receivers and the QB. Check out the completion % and passer ratings from the 80s and compare them to today. There's nearly a 10 point difference. Mntana and Young were considered 2 of the most accurate passers of that time at 63 and 64%. Their passer ratings were also at or near the tp at 93 and 96. Both are good but now we see several QBs with completion % of 67-70% and passer ratings often over 100.

Different era. Different game.
Originally posted by Montana:
He's definitely not like Steve Young.

A lot of fans fall for any QB that looks good for a game. Never got my hopes until the SEA playoff game, after that I was pretty sure he was legit. But you always need to see that 2nd year, a lot of 1 year wonders. After last year, there's no doubt he's a franchise QB

I knew he was a franchise QB at the Seattle game (his 2nd start), more than just getting my hopes up. He had it.
Sorry it took you longer to realize greatness. I have watched a lot of football..when you know, you know. Maybe do something else besides criticize ppls posts. Is that possible? Lol
At the Seattle game, he did a flawless double fake that Young also did in the same manner. Tell me they didn't look similar. How long have you watched 49ers football anyway? Or football in general?

Damn...there's top notch NFL scouts / coaches who still can't see it after a few games. You're in the wrong profession and you shouldn't waste these god given talents you have a on a forum. I would've probably need to watch at least 10 times more football then you to be on your level.

If you expand the tweet:
(*2023 reg season, measured by EPA/att)

imo, the QB and the playcalling the two biggest factors in beating zone, whereas the QB and the WR's (route runners) are the biggest factors in beating man.

CMC
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
All QBs have an advantage over QBs from the Montana era. Rule changes have opened up the middle of the field so it's much easier for the receivers and the QB. Check out the completion % and passer ratings from the 80s and compare them to today. There's nearly a 10 point difference. Mntana and Young were considered 2 of the most accurate passers of that time at 63 and 64%. Their passer ratings were also at or near the tp at 93 and 96. Both are good but now we see several QBs with completion % of 67-70% and passer ratings often over 100.

For sure. I'll just add that you see so many great athletes at the QB position nowadays. They have the equivalent of WR/RB speed and agility as well as a strong arm. P. Mahomes comes to mind.

Guys like Brock, Joe, and Brady don't wow you with their athleticism as Burrows, Allen, and Mahomes - but they might have just as good a career. But the athletic QBs coming out of college are almost the norm now vs. a rarity in the old dynasty days.

For sure. I'll just add that you see so many great athletes at the QB position nowadays. They have the equivalent of WR/RB speed and agility as well as a strong arm. P. Mahomes comes to mind.

Guys like Brock, Joe, and Brady don't wow you with their athleticism as Burrows, Allen, and Mahomes - but they might have just as good a career. But the athletic QBs coming out of college are almost the norm now vs. a rarity in the old dynasty days.

Joe was a good athlete coming out of ND.

Burrow is an average athlete at best. It's his arm, IQ, that makes him great.
Joe was a good athlete coming out of ND.

Burrow is an average athlete at best. It's his arm, IQ, that makes him great.

What? Burrow is a very good athlete
Originally posted by frenchmov:
What? Burrow is a very good athlete

He has some mobility (not a complete statue), but he's much more in line with the traditional pocket passer type. He's not going to be included in groups with guys like Allen, Jackson, Hurts etc.
Share 49ersWebzone