There are 77 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
A lot of the guys in here crapping on brock were Trey defenders. Thats ok, I was too I really wanted Trey to be the guy for us, and I defended him after the loss to the Bears. Why can't we give Brock the same leeway after all the positives he has shown in all the wins we have had with him thus far. This is the first time ever where we can point to him and say "you lost us this game" (even tho it was more the defense's fault)

How was it more the defenses fault? We only gave up 22 points in total. We had the ball twice with a chance for a go ahead score at the end of the game and Brock threw it to the defense twice. Did the defense play well? No, but putting all of the blame on them is ridiculous when the offense could only manage 17 points.

The Vikings DOMINATED time of possession. They were concerting third down after third down. Thats on the defense. They gave up a BS TD right before the end of the half. The offense moved the ball almost every drive. If Moody makes that first one and Mccaffrey doesn't fumble, we potentially have 10 more points by the 4th quarter

Agreed. The TOP was the story of the game. We had far less chances on offense, so every misstep was amplified. This has been the pattern with this defense. That's where the change needs to happen.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
A lot of the guys in here crapping on brock were Trey defenders. Thats ok, I was too I really wanted Trey to be the guy for us, and I defended him after the loss to the Bears. Why can't we give Brock the same leeway after all the positives he has shown in all the wins we have had with him thus far. This is the first time ever where we can point to him and say "you lost us this game" (even tho it was more the defense's fault)

I was never a Trey defender. I was simply a "I want a franchise QB" guy. Still want and looking for one.

Speaking for myself…it was never a lance vs Brock thing. Some folks in here really really wanted it to be that way and twisted words for some weird debate. Whatever at this point.

the whole process of moving up for Trey and everything they did up until they moved him was f**king horrible. Basically giving up on him after 170 passing attempts was an unheard of thing in the NFL. And don't tell me it was because Brock was the next Joe Montana either. f**king CJ Beathard got more chances/time to develop than Lance did. They went about the whole thing about as wrong as you could imo.

The fans along the way were just as bad. We all know if that was Lance out there the past couple games those folks would have crucified him.

brock is the guy and at this point he will have to lick his wounds and learn from some mistakes. Fans should expect some of that…We will see how it goes, no one should be "done" with him though.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Every QB goes through some ups and downs. For BP, It's Important to shake It off and respond with a good game against the Bengals.

I still believe he's good enough to win a super bowl In time.

…we already said this last week after the Browns game.

It's his guest full season as the starting QB, though. Let's see how he does the rest of the season before writing him off.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I was never a Trey defender. I was simply a "I want a franchise QB" guy. Still want and looking for one.

Speaking for myself…it was never a lance vs Brock thing. Some folks in here really really wanted it to be that way and twisted words for some weird debate. Whatever at this point.

the whole process of moving up for Trey and everything they did up until they moved him was f**king horrible. Basically giving up on him after 170 passing attempts was an unheard of thing in the NFL. And don't tell me it was because Brock was the next Joe Montana either. f**king CJ Beathard got more chances/time to develop than Lance did. They went about the whole thing about as wrong as you could imo.

The fans along the way were just as bad. We all know if that was Lance out there the past couple games those folks would have crucified him.

brock is the guy and at this point he will have to lick his wounds and learn from some mistakes. Fans should expect some of that…We will see how it goes, no one should be "done" with him though.

💯 i'm just as annoyed by the brock haters as I was with the Trey haters. Cant we just support the young guy for once?

How was it more the defenses fault? We only gave up 22 points in total. We had the ball twice with a chance for a go ahead score at the end of the game and Brock threw it to the defense twice. Did the defense play well? No, but putting all of the blame on them is ridiculous when the offense could only manage 17 points.

The Vikings DOMINATED time of possession. They were concerting third down after third down. Thats on the defense. They gave up a BS TD right before the end of the half. The offense moved the ball almost every drive. If Moody makes that first one and Mccaffrey doesn't fumble, we potentially have 10 more points by the 4th quarter

The game is won by scoring points. Yes, the defense gave up a lot of yards and ToP, but that was still only 22 points at the end. That should not be too much for the offense to overcome, especially since the Vikings do not have a good defense.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Yup. Not surprised. Got tricked into thinking we found that guy again.

This is the most painful of all, because after 13 games I really thought "surely it's not a mistake or a fluke…" it was

This team will never find a franchise QB again in my lifetime.
So a one bad 4th quarter trumps all the good Purdy has previously done and proves he's a fluke talk about a rush to judgement.

Purdy only plays well when we are leading or to an extent when the game is tied. That's it.

Not a franchise QB. Brady, Mahomes or Seahawks Russell Wilson wins last night's game blindfolded. Franchise quarterbacks get game-winning drives when they're supposed to.
So your saying franchise QBs never come up short on game winning drives?

Didn't Purdy lead a last minute drive just last week that put this team in position to win?

If memory serves me Purdy has had 3 opportunities to lead game winning drives in his very short career & in 2 of the 3 he helped put the team in fg range only to have the kicker miss a fg.

Getting a team in FG range with 2 minutes or less for a winning kick is fairly easy the way today's game is played. Getting a winning TD is another matter. You can't just keep taking all the underneath stuff that the D always seems to allow on final drives. Sooner or later you have to hit a big one. We all know how much tighter things get when you get inside the 10 or the 5. The DBs don't have as much ground to cover and the receivers don't have room to maneuver.

Purdy threw 2 bad INTs in the final 5 minutes of the game.

So he couldnt get it done in the first game he was in that situation. So thats a wrap then? Hes not a franchise qb? time to move on? hire shannon sharpe to find our next qb?

I literally laughed out loud at this, great comment. People are WAY overreacting holy s**t.

I think it's fair to look at it game by game. They went all in with Brock and of course there's gonna be bumps in the road. He still doesn't have a full season worth of football under his belt.

But if we're looking at it game by game, some of those things I questioned are popping up the past two weeks. Those turnover-worthy throws that weren't getting picked last yr…have been the past couple games. The lack of arm talent with the gunslinger mentality isn't a positive overall.

But yeah kid is still a pup and learning. It's not always gonna be rainbows and unicorns, we as fans gotta realize that.

he's either gonna improve or he's not as the season goes. I think he's got the mind set to play good ball. I don't think the overall skill set will ever allow him to be a special QB though. We will see, I'm not giving up over a couple games…that's silly.

Purdy has proven some special traits, even in this last game. His anticipation is the best I've ever seen for a QB his age. It's elite veteran level, but that's a double edge sword that comes with mistakes like the pass he made to JJ. He had two turnover worthy throws, the one to JJ, and a desperation pick, but overall he's been stellar with keeping the ball in places only his guys can make the play. Let's not go overboard on his turnover worthy plays. Also, his arm has been surprisingly strong this year. Even this game he made a couple beautiful throws on outs to the sideline. I think he's still gaining strength back from his torn ligament, so let's not go around with the old noodle arm take again. The evidence so far is that his arm is not a liability and may actually be stronger than people give him credit for. NY, don't slip back into these dumb arguments, I don't think they will age well.

The game is won by scoring points. Yes, the defense gave up a lot of yards and ToP, but that was still only 22 points at the end. That should not be too much for the offense to overcome, especially since the Vikings do not have a good defense.

You're like talking to a brick wall or a robot that repeats the same line.

Well, there is no argument to be had, so it is going to feel like that. The defense did not have anything to do with Brock choking away this winnable game. You guys keep listing off ToP and yards like those are points on the board, but at the end of the day we had the ball twice in Vikings territory down 5, and Brock threw a bad interception both times.
Originally posted by BrockIsFranchiseQB:
Originally posted by Method:
That throw across his body he short armed to aiyuk was the worst I've ever seen him throw. Aiyuk was only like 8 yards away from him wide open. Brock looked awful tonight

Oh yes, awful with 9.1 yards per pass attempt.

The fans in this thread apparently think Brock should be completing 90% of his throws in this offense.

Brock was hitting guys in perfect stride all night long. Not only did he complete a high percentage, but all of the throws he completed were perfect.

Brock wasn't good enough. 17 points is on him and Kyle. Unacceptable output vs the vikings and Cleveland. Cleveland just gave up 37 to the colts. I bet vikings give up 25+ vs the packers this week too. Stats are not everything. Put up points and talk to me
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Here's what fans like you don't understand: QBs don't develop by playing. They develop during off-seasons.

Lance was in his third year, which is what matters. And he still sucked. He looked no better than he did as a rookie.

Go check how many games Joe Montana played before his Super Bowl winning season. Go look at how Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers played after sitting on the bench for years.

How many games had Kurt Warner played before his MVP Super Bowl winning season?

OH DANGGG... now we gonna have issue and comparisons as to when a great QB got into Super Bowl...

Bottom line is, Purdy has done NOTHING yet.. everything we've seen thus far has been POSITIVE... we know he looks better than Grappy, but Grappy had played more and won more games and got us in the Super Bowl..

We also know that Lance could not beat out Purdy but it still remain to be seen who will have the better career..

yah'll gotta know that Purdy will have bad to terrible games... will throw multiple picks... hey, IMO all the things that's happening now, it's made him MORTAL... and we'll see if SHANNY is right about Purdy being the REAL DEAL ..

Originally posted by Chance:
Purdy has proven some special traits, even in this last game. His anticipation is the best I've ever seen for a QB his age. It's elite veteran level, but that's a double edge sword that comes with mistakes like the pass he made to JJ. He had two turnover worthy throws, the one to JJ, and a desperation pick, but overall he's been stellar with keeping the ball in places only his guys can make the play. Let's not go overboard on his turnover worthy plays. Also, his arm has been surprisingly strong this year. Even this game he made a couple beautiful throws on outs to the sideline. I think he's still gaining strength back from his torn ligament, so let's not go around with the old noodle arm take again. The evidence so far is that his arm is not a liability and may actually be stronger than people give him credit for. NY, don't slip back into these dumb arguments, I don't think they will age well.

He's gotta have higher end anticipation because of lacking elsewhere. The left side rollouts make me cringe at this point.

Look he's never gonna have a plus arm. It's been that way since college. It's not a positive for his overall resume. I didn't say it was a noodle. I said it isn't a tool he has in his tool belt. Too many floaters when they shouldn't be. You can make excuses about his recovery, it was the same thing before it.

You call it dumb arguments. I call it being objective. He's got some good traits. He's also lacking in other spots that other QBs aren't. It's okay, but trying to swipe it under the rug because of bias fan motives is silly.

I don't hate Brock or whatever some of you want to try so hard to imply. I'm calling a spade a spade with certain traits. I also think he can be a good damn QB in this system, he's shown that. Can he do it trailing in the 4th QR? I mean it's a small sample size, but it's not good so far. Again he's young and still learning, unlike a f**k ton of people in here…I'm not giving up on a young QB who hasn't played a ton of NFL games after a couple poor outcomes.

Well, there is no argument to be had, so it is going to feel like that. The defense did not have anything to do with Brock choking away this winnable game. You guys keep listing off ToP and yards like those are points on the board, but at the end of the day we had the ball twice in Vikings territory down 5, and Brock threw a bad interception both times.

The defense's inability to get off the field on 3rd down definitely affected the outcome of the game and how Kyle might have been calling plays on the opportunities he was given. It seems like we are back into this narrative that wins are a team stat, but losses are all the QB's fault. McCaffrey's fumble on that first drive didn't help either.

Brock's interceptions sucked but I doubt they were a result of his choking or making bad decisions. In his presser after the game, he said the first pick was a result of the rush and his having lost sight of the receiver and trying to put it in a place where he thought he was going to be. The pass was there, he just missed it, which he doesn't often do.

The second pick was trying to make something happen without much time left and the DB making a pretty good play on the ball. I mean, he really had to go up and get that thing. Like the Cleveland game, there seems to be this idea that the 49ers should just be able to go out and do whatever they want to, and the opposing teams don't have any say at all in how a game unfolds. You have to earn your victories in the NFL and the past two weeks the 49ers, as a team, have failed to do that.
Here's what fans like you don't understand: QBs don't develop by playing. They develop during off-seasons.

Lance was in his third year, which is what matters. And he still sucked. He looked no better than he did as a rookie.

Go check how many games Joe Montana played before his Super Bowl winning season. Go look at how Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers played after sitting on the bench for years.

How many games had Kurt Warner played before his MVP Super Bowl winning season?

Lol yeah you keep telling yourself that.

you don't get better at anything without doing it over and over. You can't replicate live football snaps in the off-season.

Kurt played years of football before going to the Rams. He saw coverages and dealt with pressure situations.

Rogers played plenty of football in college (and junior college) before he even stepped foot into the NFL. Rivers was the starter at North Carolina State for 4 yrs 😂 try again.

Montana multi yr starter at ND.

Lance had 300 passing attempts heading into the NFL. He missed a whole f**king season because of Covid. Then barely played YR and actually won us a game to make it of the playoffs. Next yr he got 30 passing attempts lol.

give me a break with that horrible take. Next you're gonna tell me Brock's 4 yrs of starting in college didn't prepare him at all to play in the NFL.

how they handled the whole process was awful imo. At this point is what it is, he's not here so moving on
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 24, 2023 at 9:35 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Brock wasn't good enough. 17 points is on him and Kyle. Unacceptable output vs the vikings and Cleveland. Cleveland just gave up 37 to the colts. I bet vikings give up 25+ vs the packers this week too. Stats are not everything. Put up points and talk to me

If CMC doesn't fumble I believe we score a TD on that drive. Moody misses a FG. That puts us at 27. More than good enough.

I don't think he was the reason we lost. The last INT didn't help obviously but this was a team loss IMO
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Well look who comes out of the wood works.

Share 49ersWebzone