There are 107 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Huge game for the 49ers but an even bigger game for Brock Purdy. The people are outside his door with pitchforks and torches ready for his 1st big mistake, bad game. The Cowboys defense is formidable and it's on Sunday night in prime time. The naysayers are pulling so hard for his fall and their best chance at that happening is only against two teams, Cowboys and Eagles. If he continues to dominate and do it against the Cowboys Sunday night, there is going to be a huge shut your mouth slap in the face to the naysayers who will have to take it. Now if Brock struggles in the game, and the 49ers lose as well, then I advise all 49ers fans to not watch YouTube, ESPN, FOX, and avoid X for a week or two. We will have to shut our mouths and take the criticism.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

You guys are making TB cry in a Brock Purdy thread.

Lol oh no 🥲
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Huge game for the 49ers but an even bigger game for Brock Purdy. The people are outside his door with pitchforks and torches ready for his 1st big mistake, bad game. The Cowboys defense is formidable and it's on Sunday night in prime time. The naysayers are pulling so hard for his fall and their best chance at that happening is only against two teams, Cowboys and Eagles. If he continues to dominate and do it against the Cowboys Sunday night, there is going to be a huge shut your mouth slap in the face to the naysayers who will have to take it. Now if Brock struggles in the game, and the 49ers lose as well, then I advise all 49ers fans to not watch YouTube, ESPN, FOX, and avoid X for a week or two. We will have to shut our mouths and take the criticism.

The Niners' and Brock's big game is in the playoff. The Cowboys and Dak's big game might be this game.
Maybe I am crazy for feeling this way but I have 0 worry when it comes to Brock. Pressure doesn't seem to phase him and his processing is so fast that coverage scheme and disguises don't ever seem to confuse him. If you are going to shut down this offense, you have to shut down Kyle's scheme and all of his weapons.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Maybe I am crazy for feeling this way but I have 0 worry when it comes to Brock. Pressure doesn't seem to phase him and his processing is so fast that coverage scheme and disguises don't ever seem to confuse him. If you are going to shut down this offense, you have to shut down Kyle's scheme and all of his weapons.

The only thing that worries me is a freak accident

I've seen a QB get lightly hit while in his throwing motion probably thousands of times...never saw it lead to a major injury until Purdy v PHI

It has me gun shy now watching the offense

It is like when JG threw a pass off screen you didn't know if it was an INT or a great throw
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

I've seen a QB get lightly hit while in his throwing motion probably thousands of times...never saw it lead to a major injury until Purdy v PHI

It is like when JG threw a pass off screen you didn't know if it was an INT or a great throw

You think that was a light hit to Purdy's arm?
This is the game where Brock finally gets some respect. The nfl world doesn't realize how much better the offense is clicking with him compared to every qb under Kyle, let alone Jimmy.
It's a TEAM sport.

When all of the elements work together and each does his best, the sum is greater than its parts and each part reaches its potential. That's what we're seeing now in this team, and with Brock.

If any part is half-assing it, or is preoccupied with individual glory, the whole is diminished. That's what we're seeing in the Bears, etc.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Oct 5, 2023 at 7:25 AM ]

From the tv copy i did ya

I have too much imagery of old NFL crushing hits to compare it to

Seen plenty of QB arms hit mid motion and usually just ends up being a duck of a throw and INT

Before purdy injury the biggest fear mid throw was a broken finger from hitting a helmet (like rookie trey lance)

I honestly thought it was nothing when it first happened.

I understand NOW after more replays and explanation...and that is what has me freaked out.

It "can" happen much more frequently than it does happen
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Some guys just have a photographic memory for stuff regarding football. I think Brock is one of those guys. Those guys exist, but they are rare. Walsh was able to recall plays back in the early '50's. Kye's QB's just (I think) didn't have that kind of memory for his system. Brock does. Kyle himself, I think, has that kind of memory also.

There was a game that Kyle called a played he hasn't called in 2 years prior to Brock getting there, Brock knew the play. Aiyuk was super surprised during the game and wasn't sure if he heard the play right, I believe they scored a touchdown on it. THATS how much Brock studied and how deep he is was into the playbook. That's awesome.

kyle expects you to know his playbook, not just the gameplan for that week - Brock has show that. I think regular fans think every player does that, but they really don't. They're human and a lot of players just do enough for the week, not go balls deep every week in everything all the time. Those are usually rare players - I'm glad that we got one of 'em at the QB position, finally.

The play wasn't called for two years and all the players knew their job….
interesting
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Oct 5, 2023 at 8:51 AM ]

Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude I watched those teams play, Brady wasn't in any kind of leading role. He made some timely passes and overall ran the offense efficiently but that 2001 Patriots team thrived on defense, they ended up shutting down the still loaded Rams in the SB.

In 2002, yeah Brady threw more touchdowns but he had one of the lowest yards per attempt of his career, he was throwing a ton of passes as the Patriots were playing from behind a lot. Their defense fell off that year and they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs so apparently Brady wasn't carrying them like you claimed.

The following season, Brady's numbers went down across the board but the defense was 1st in the NFL again and they went 14-2 and won a SB, It took Brady a few years to really get going and during that process, the Patriots supported him with tremendous coaching and an often aggressive and stifling defense. He was a key part of that team of course but he certainly wasn't carrying anything.

Dude, I watched them too. By the early 2000's, I had been watching football for 25+ years so whatever point you're trying to make there ain't gonna fly. Nobody is claiming that the Patriots weren't very good defensively, but aaagain...Belichick still put his trust in Brady when 1) Bledsoe was eligible to return and didn't, 2) Belichick depended on Brady to throw the ball in the last minute drive during the Rams SB, 3) Brady was front and center offensively the next season with 600+ throws. You can try and denounce the notion that his yards/attempt was low and they missed the playoffs and whatnot. It's irrelevant. Imagine what the Pats record had Brady NOT been on that team? He can't do every aspect a football game requires when it comes to wins/losses. If you want to play that argument, (which others have attempted) fine by me....it in no way counters my argument. I'm not saying one guy can take a trash unit to a Super Bowl. I am saying an elite QB can easily elevate his team moreso than most any other position, and guys like Brady did that.

So what if his numbers decreased in 2003? His defense returned to form, and Brady was still a dominant player...especially given his offensive talent around him. When the defense broke down in certain games, ie allowing around 30 points such as the Super Bowl, Brady stepped up.

He clearly showed signs early on, of things that were to come.

its irrelevant to say they missed the playoffs the following year when your claiming Brady lifted that team up? Lol ok

Yes, I watched those teams too, and the Pats defense was top 1-5 for years & Brady was along for the ride. Hell, the first SB, dude fumbled and shouldn't have even been there.
Brady was no where near the guy he was 5 years later and that credit to him.

I guess I don't understand whatever narrative your trying to push but I'm just happy we have a very competent humble QB who seems to be working his ass off.

From the tv copy i did ya

I have too much imagery of old NFL crushing hits to compare it to

Seen plenty of QB arms hit mid motion and usually just ends up being a duck of a throw and INT

Before purdy injury the biggest fear mid throw was a broken finger from hitting a helmet (like rookie trey lance)

I honestly thought it was nothing when it first happened.

I understand NOW after more replays and explanation...and that is what has me freaked out.

It "can" happen much more frequently than it does happen

Ah got you. Not an apples to apples type thing. Getting crushed while being tackled and having your forearm violently bent backwards is just not a good comparison.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Oct 5, 2023 at 9:04 AM ]
Justin Fields also supposedly aced it. CJ Stroud apparently bombed it but is killing it this far as a rookie. Test is way overhyped.

Why wasn't Fields mentioned in the article then?

Purely biased reporting?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
its irrelevant to say they missed the playoffs the following year when your claiming Brady lifted that team up? Lol ok

Yes, I watched those teams too, and the Pats defense was top 1-5 for years & Brady was along for the ride. Hell, the first SB, dude fumbled and shouldn't have even been there.
Brady was no where near the guy he was 5 years later and that credit to him.

I guess I don't understand whatever narrative your trying to push but I'm just happy we have a very competent humble QB who seems to be working his ass off.

He's basically skeptical of Brock. Saying, basically - the team is carrying him, and he's a good QB, but nothing special. That's how I'm reading his posts.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Justin Fields also supposedly aced it. CJ Stroud apparently bombed it but is killing it this far as a rookie. Test is way overhyped.

Why wasn't Fields mentioned in the article then?

Purely biased reporting?

What test is overhyped?
Share 49ersWebzone