Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Dear Lord, not the "plus arm strength" guy again.

I can't lol

He will die on this hill

I didn't bring it up bro. I'm also not wrong. Name me 5 starting QBs with weaker arms? You can't. It's also doesn't mean he's a bad QB. People just get all bent out of shape if anything critical is said about their QB. Next ya'll gonna tell me Brock is 6-4 and 230lbs

Dude you gotta let this go. This is like having Kate Beckinsale as your wife and complaining that she has small breasts. I mean really lol.

I'm a breast guy, sorry.

• dj43
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
Simply put Purdy is doing a fine job. He's only played 8 games 3 of them Playoff. The kid is pretty good. All this talk about arm strength is kind of mute. Kyles offense doesn't need a cannon for an arm, accuracy and timing do!!!! I remember they said Montana had a weak arm that's why he lasted to the 3rd round. Look at Allen last night and he can throw 70-80yds. I think Purdy will be just fine and will get better the more he plays. JMHO…….Go Niners

And that's the thing. Josh Allen was almost the prototype coming out of college in terms of size, arm strength, and running ability. Maybe not the prototype because he doesn't have Lamar Jackson/Michael Vick/Justin Fields/Anthony Richardson speed. But the size, arm strength, and what he can do with his feet and legs, like a bigger stronger Aaron Rodgers.

But, I fully expected him to bust because he played awful against better competition in college and completed a low percentage of his passes.

That he ascended into being one of the best in the league is credit to an obviously tremendous work ethic and desire to simply not fail.

But guys with great God given ability oft times fall back on that first and foremost more so than proper mechanics or playing smart. Because it's suited them well at every level of football and still can in the NFL. But they can also get burned by it more often in the NFL. Throwing 40 plus yards flat footed and off balance is impressive. It also probably doesn't have the highest rate of success.

Give me a guy like Purdy over a guy who's heady over a guy who's the prototype but does some boneheaded things.

That's not to say Purdy is already better than Josh Allen. Just a general statement. Obviously, if you can have a heady/smart guy who's the prototype than you have pretty much a Hall of Famer.

For a guy with so much physical talent and amount of NFL experience, it is fair to say that, at best, Allen is horribly inconsistent. He has not learned to play the game the way he must if the Bills are to win a ring.
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for SmokeyJoe.
I don't think he has elite arm talent either. Like I said it's not just arm strength that makes a QB. I never said it was…if you can throw a football well but can't do anything else requiring to play the position. You're useless.

I love Brock's processing, moxie/leadership, play under pressure and quick feet to make s**t happen out of structure. If he was 6-3 230lbs with a top end arm he would have been a top 10 pick in the draft. He doesn't have those and never will do he got drafted much later…overall his skill set with this roster is all we need to win a bunch of games. All I've said his his arm strength was bottom tier among starters, doesn't mean he can't be successful.

That wording, lol. Don't be the last guy on this train dude.

(Sam's arm talent* is greater than Lance's)
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 12, 2023 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Dear Lord, not the "plus arm strength" guy again.

I can't lol

He will die on this hill

I didn't bring it up bro. I'm also not wrong. Name me 5 starting QBs with weaker arms? You can't. It's also doesn't mean he's a bad QB. People just get all bent out of shape if anything critical is said about their QB. Next ya'll gonna tell me Brock is 6-4 and 230lbs

Dude you gotta let this go. This is like having Kate Beckinsale as your wife and complaining that she has small breasts. I mean really lol.

I'm a breast guy, sorry.

Flat butt w big boobs or Nice Butt w One small Boob?
I don't think he has elite arm talent either. Like I said it's not just arm strength that makes a QB. I never said it was…if you can throw a football well but can't do anything else requiring to play the position. You're useless.

I love Brock's processing, moxie/leadership, play under pressure and quick feet to make s**t happen out of structure. If he was 6-3 230lbs with a top end arm he would have been a top 10 pick in the draft. He doesn't have those and never will do he got drafted much later…overall his skill set with this roster is all we need to win a bunch of games. All I've said his his arm strength was bottom tier among starters, doesn't mean he can't be successful.

I think Sam is high end and BP is solid I wouldn't put BP as low as you do. This is on the arm talent only ranks. Part of arm talent to me is not just the Herbert play of the year throw vs NYG a while back, it's also off platform. You see BP all the time not set, but using torque and upper body to deliver a crisp pass. He can put it wherever he wants there are no throws he can't hit.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Flat butt w big boobs or Nice Butt w One small Boob?

One small boob lol?
I think Sam is high end and BP is solid I wouldn't put BP as low as you do. This is on the arm talent only ranks. Part of arm talent to me is not just the Herbert play of the year throw vs NYG a while back, it's also off platform. You see BP all the time not set, but using torque and upper body to deliver a crisp pass. He can put it wherever he wants there are no throws he can't hit.

I disagree he can put it wherever he wants on the field. I've said off platform throws are part of it for sure. I'm not saying he can't throw crisp passes, downfield off platform I would say overall he's not with the others there.

Just my opinion
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

You think my wording is bad? If you do that's your problem…I've said plenty good about Brock and posted half a dozen clips of good stuff since the game on Sunday. Just because I don't think he's good in one area doesn't mean I think he sucks.

You think my wording is bad? If you do that's your problem…I've said plenty good about Brock and posted half a dozen clips of good stuff since the game on Sunday. Just because I don't think he's good in one area doesn't mean I think he sucks.

You do harp on it, however…. At every opportunity.

Well I talked to you a lot in the offseason and that wording harkened back to those conversations and what I think is a philosophical belief you hold: that we can win games with a player like Brock but he's not an 'elite' QB and you need an elite QB to win the SB.

I'm not sure you think we can win the SB with this type of player. That seemed like a major structural piece of your arguments to play* and develop Trey. If I'm mistaken, I'll take your word for it.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 12, 2023 at 5:22 PM ]

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
You do harp on it, however…. At every opportunity.

I didn't even bring it up lol. Someone else did, I've been posting a bunch of quality clips about Brock outside of one good read by PP that was almost picked off. So no it hasn't been every opportunity
Well I talked to you a lot in the offseason and that wording harkened back to those conversations and what I think is a philosophical belief you hold: that we can win games with a player like Brock but he's not an 'elite' QB and you need an elite QB to win the SB.

I'm not sure you think we can win the SB with this type of player. That seemed like a major structural piece of your arguments to develop Trey. If I'm mistaken, I'll take your word for it.

If we win a SB with him then that's all that matters. If we don't then we will have our answer. Simple as that.

Yes you are mistaken
Purdy was perfect to throw ball the tough target to him because Peterson was all over him. Peterson didn't pay attention to the ball side from back. Good Job Purdy!
If we win a SB with him then that's all that matters. If we don't then we will have our answer. Simple as that.

Yes you are mistaken

See you're kind of bailing on it still, lol.

Think about what you're saying: if we don't win a SB in his first full season starting then we have an answer on whether we can win a SB with him. It's pretty ridiculous honestly. It's certainly a different level of patience than you had for the big guy who could throw hard. People see this clearly in these conversations, *though maybe you aren't talking just this season*?

Can we win a SB if Brock plays at this level consistently?
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 12, 2023 at 5:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone