LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 425 users in the forums

Colts @ 49ers Coaches film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jonny is always in command when it comes to the 49er breakdowns. So silky smooth in his delivery!

I'd give his content 77 likes if I could.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He puts in a lot of work but honestly, I don't need him to tell me a steaming pile stinks.

Yep. Watching them this year feels like my face was pressed into that stink.
I look forward to these every week Johnny, whether the Niners play well or poorly. It is analysis like this that makes watching national shows so difficult!
Originally posted by thl408:
Jonny is always in command when it comes to the 49er breakdowns. So silky smooth in his delivery!

okay jd, now do my screen name.

Dude, you gotta change your screen name then, LOL. Not sure how I'm gonna fit that in there. Can I just make a reference to San Jose?
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

okay jd, now do my screen name.

Dude, you gotta change your screen name then, LOL. Not sure how I'm gonna fit that in there. Can I just make a reference to San Jose?

lol I'm just kidding jd.
Good breakdown as usual. Just depressing. After the first couple of drives, I thought Niners wanted to get out of the losing record more than the Colts. I was so wrong...
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

I'd give his content 77 likes if I could.

LMAO!
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

He puts in a lot of work but honestly, I don't need him to tell me a steaming pile stinks.

I applaud him more for it. Because it's gotta hurt and it's not going to get any easier.
Well done JD….just mistakes everywhere and you sure seemed to have gotten most of the horrid ones . A true team loss. O, D, and coaching.

one thing for sure. Last 4 games, starting with LaFleur and ARodgers, opponents game plan has been, throw at least 3-4 deep balls downfield and wait for the DPI call.
The last 4 games we have had at least 3-4 DPIs/ game, averaging around 40 yds each, and each one ended up with a TD in the next couple plays.

The sick part? If the DBs would have just let those WRs go and not interfered, only half those balls would have been caught. That would have meant roughly 6 less TDs, against us if the DBs when beat, just let their guys go…and that all happened in last 4 games,

One cannot win in this league if you spot the opposition 21 pts on DPIs…yet we did….in 4 consecutive games. That is just ugly coaching…not to mention crummy play by OL, DL, DBs, WRs, QB, and coaching, both O and D.
  • thl408
hey jd, the play at 1:29 in your video. There's a lot of midzone going on nowadays, and often it looks like inside zone to me, but the way I tell is that midzone looks like outside zone in the first three steps for the OL, but they stop going lateral. I can't tell if the play at 1:29 is midzone or inside zone. From the endzone view, IND slanted wrong and it led to the big run for Mitchell.

Jonny, did you see how consistently open Brandon Aiyuk was during the second half?
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I liked this video because it seems to confirm some of my layman's opinions on what has been going on with the team this year. In that regard I guess it's a form of confirmation bias. The team has just seemed out of sync in all of it's losses and even it's victories. It never seems to be any one thing but rather a series of mistakes, misjudgements and plain old bad luck across the board that seem to be doing them in. The injuries to Verrett, Mostert, Kittle, Wilson, Greenlaw and Kinlaw's ongoing knee problems haven't helped the situation at all. With Verrett ,Moster, and Kittle probably being the most impactful losses since Al-Shaair seems to have been doing a decent job in Dre's absence and they have at least had some bodies to man the front line of the defense, though injuries are starting to take their toll their as well. Woerner and Dwelley both had a couple of nice blocks in some of the clips I've seen but Dwelley also missed some that kept certain plays from turning into anything

It was tough seeing Buckner play so well as it served as a grim reminder of how he affected the overall play of the line when he was here. That has been my biggest disappointment by far this year, that even with a healthy Bosa and Ford back they just haven't been able to get home often enough to be difference makers in the games. The whole point of investing all of that draft capitol in the defensive line was to allow them to dominate and bring pressure and so far that hasn't been the case. I think a lot of these losses would have had different outcomes if they had been able to get their jobs done.

Then there are all of the PI calls and missed interceptions that are costing them field position and offensive opportunities which are leading to points for the other side.Of course the usual rhetoric in here is that wins are a team stat but losses are all Jimmy's fault and he certainly didn't do himself any favors with his performance in this game which easily one of his poorer ones but unlike others in here I still don't think all of the blame for what these losses can be laid at his feet. Has he contributed to the problems, probably, but based on this video and others like it the issues at the moment go far beyond him.

A quick perusal of the 49ers feed on YouTube has all of the usual talking head types saying Trey, Trey, Trey but I think that's just their usual lazy take on things and misses the larger point which is that the breakdowns the team has been having are happening at every position, not just at the QB position, and that seems to be having a snowball effect throughout team. Brunskill gets blown up on a block that wrecks a play and maybe Kyle start's thinking, well maybe I should go to the other side. Aiyuk misses a block on the outside that stops another play and maybe Kyle starts thinking, well maybe I shouldn't run that again. Or maybe all the PI's and dropped interception's get him thinking I have to call this differently to make up for those mistakes. It could be a lot of things but hopefully they will get it sorted out and come out strong against Chicago. As I noted in another post, mathematically at least, they could still end the season at 13-4, while I don't think that is very likely it does mean that there is still a lot of football to be played and anything can happen so i think all of the hand wringing and bed wetting going on in here is a bit pre-mature. So until the situation goes completely off the rails I will continue to root for the team to turn things around and get back on track. Go Niners!
Can someone more knowledgeable than me take a look at the play before the 3rd and 2 where Hasty got stuffed? It is 2nd and 5 at 10:42 in the 2nd quarter. It looks like Brunskill blows his assignment, and is late getting to his guy, which forces Mitchell in the opposite direction.
Some of these mistakes were cringe worthy. Deebo dropping that tunnel screen might have gone for 6. Probably at least 20 or 30 yards.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/10/27/22747861/49ers-offensive-mistakes-that-you-cant-blame-shanahan-for-against-the-colts
hey jd, the play at 1:29 in your video. There's a lot of midzone going on nowadays, and often it looks like inside zone to me, but the way I tell is that midzone looks like outside zone in the first three steps for the OL, but they stop going lateral. I can't tell if the play at 1:29 is midzone or inside zone. From the endzone view, IND slanted wrong and it led to the big run for Mitchell.

Considering how Dwelley and Juice attack, looks Ike outside zone to me
Share 49ersWebzone