There are 247 users in the forums

Week 5 @Arizona coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I take the first bit and look at Lance's first start. Lots of good, a number of plays where he can improve that did end up big in the game. This game isn't on Lance, a number of issues - especially with containing J.J. Watt.

I thought the defense played really, really well.

I didn't get a chance to cover as much of the holding issues and will look to cover receiver issues in another video. It was just getting too long for all the stuff I wanted to show.

Originally posted by jonnydel:
I take the first bit and look at Lance's first start. Lots of good, a number of plays where he can improve that did end up big in the game. This game isn't on Lance, a number of issues - especially with containing J.J. Watt.

I didn't get a chance to cover as much of the holding issues and will look to cover receiver issues in another video. It was just getting too long for all the stuff I wanted to show.

Great video as always. So excited for what Trey Lance can bring to this offense & team with more experience!
[ Edited by tohara3 on Oct 14, 2021 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:

!

?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, jonny. Great work as always.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 14, 2021 at 11:23 PM ]
Well done JD, as usual
Thanks

That play at around 12:45 could have been a huge gain to Aiyuk, maybe even 6. It's a shame he didn't look his way soon enough.

It was great to see him making some very accurate throws as well as throwing with anticipation. Sky is the limit for this dude.
Hey the guys back. Thanks the guy!
[ Edited by Strwy2Hevn on Oct 15, 2021 at 5:03 AM ]

At the 15:00 mark how come you didn't go into detail about the run option play? That play was a QB keeper where Lance did not recognize the break down? It seems you hold off a little bit ? Reguardless of who is playing and how you feel . I just think your leaving out points due to some bias.

How can you compare a pitch run to a run option? Most of the run options were bad choices on Lances recognition. Times when he handed it off he should pulled back and kept it , other times where when he kept it but should of handed it off. I do believe that's why it's called the option in the first place. I'm just wondering why our rookie investment wasn't studying defensive breakdowns of how the has been used with Lamar Jackson or even Kaepernick.
  • thl408
Nice breakdown once again jd. I'm encouraged that Lance seemed capable of handling blitzes (throwing hot to Juice where he hurdled the defender, bad throw to Aiyuk on the slant), and few others where he was able to find a lane to escape. It's the decision making that I like on those blitzes. If he can put it on film that DCs should not be blitzing him, then that's one less thing to worry about. I was mainly looking for flashes where he can hit windows in zone coverage and the best flash was the dig route that Sanu dropped. I'd say he missed more than he hit, but at least hit some. Show that he can process it - consistency will come with playing time, at least that's the hope.

I didn't see many instances where he progressed to his second/third reads but I don't think the plays dialed up allowed for that to happen often. There were only a few dropbacks where there were five routes going out from what I saw. Lots of half field reads. I felt like I saw more routes going intermediate/deep compared to Jimmy games, but that may be due to the down and distance (so many offensive penalties).

When you look at his NextGen passing chart with the colorful dots of where Lance targeted the field, it's more to the outside and away from the middle of the field. If I had to jump to a conclusion, I'd say it's because things are less muddy away from the middle of the field and it's an easier read. A few times he predetermined presnap that he would be targeting Aiyuk 1v1. To me that's the easy way out, not giving the concept side a chance. It's not like Aiyuk was dominating his 1v1 matchup but Lance made it work twice (one tight window catch, one where Aiyuk earned a PI call). Overall, I saw enough good things to say I want to see more. Tough draw on his first NFL start going up against a defense with two of the best edge defenders in the past 10 years while missing his star TE.
JD, you are 2nd to none.

QQ for you. Would you prefer that Trey take over now based on what you saw or do you think we need to have Jimmy G back ? Of course assuming both are healthy...
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Oct 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by okieniner:

How can you compare a pitch run to a run option? Most of the run options were bad choices on Lances recognition. Times when he handed it off he should pulled back and kept it , other times where when he kept it but should of handed it off. I do believe that's why it's called the option in the first place. I'm just wondering why our rookie investment wasn't studying defensive breakdowns of how the has been used with Lamar Jackson or even Kaepernick.

Sone of those runs, in Kyle's playbook, are just there for show. We've done them with JG too, just there to widen players.

Some of it was time. I see hoping people actually watch videos and after 16-17 min the watch time dive bombs so it was either, cover some more of the run game or try and highlight the great defensive play.
Share 49ersWebzone