There are 184 users in the forums

WR Jordan Matthews Is a TE. And now released, again. And a 49er, again.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, I've been watching a lot of film on Matthews getting ready to do a vid next week. Here's some things that stood out.

He had a limited route tree. It wasn't that he only ran 3 routes, but a guy who plays slot and outside normally will have over 100 routes they can run between the 2 spots but he didn't seem to come close to that. Not saying he can't, but that's not how he was used.

Was mainly used as a possession receiver. Ran routes over the middle all the time. His most 2 most common routes: shallow cross and crossing route....

Natural hands catcher - doesn't catch with his body but hands can be inconsistent.

Slow feet. He's not going to use his feet off the line like shiftier WR's so he has to make sure he protects his chest and uses his length to keep from getting tangled up at the LOS.

Takes too many false steps for my liking.

Slow feet doesn't make him the sharpest route runner. Reminds me a LOT of Vernon Davis running routes. Like, a lot.

Provides a large target in the red zone and an athlete with good catch and run ability. Should fit well into the WCO as a possession receiver who will be schemed open in space to use his athletic ability to gain YAC. Is not a guy you would rely on to beat man-coverage or beat C3 corners on deep outs/comebacks.

There was one of those typical winners and losers of FA editions on Niner's Wire saying that Kendrick Bourne was a loser because of the trade for Matthews. I like Bourne and was a bit disappointed that he didn't make more headway last year with all of the injuries ahead of him. One of the things I have noticed is that he has some of the same issues you noted with Matthews. He always uses his hands to catch the ball rather than his body and isn't afraid to go after it. Unfortunately he isn't always consistent with his catching and dropped a few balls last year that it looks like he should have had. He does seem to have fairly quick feet so I guess he and Matthews will be competing for snaps. May the best man win. Enjoy your videos on YouTube. I hope they are starting to catch on with viewers outside of this forum.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
So, I've been watching a lot of film on Matthews getting ready to do a vid next week. Here's some things that stood out.

He had a limited route tree. It wasn't that he only ran 3 routes, but a guy who plays slot and outside normally will have over 100 routes they can run between the 2 spots but he didn't seem to come close to that. Not saying he can't, but that's not how he was used.

Was mainly used as a possession receiver. Ran routes over the middle all the time. His most 2 most common routes: shallow cross and crossing route....

Natural hands catcher - doesn't catch with his body but hands can be inconsistent.

Slow feet. He's not going to use his feet off the line like shiftier WR's so he has to make sure he protects his chest and uses his length to keep from getting tangled up at the LOS.

Slow feet doesn't make him the sharpest route runner. Reminds me a LOT of Vernon Davis running routes. Like, a lot.

Provides a large target in the red zone and an athlete with good catch and run ability. Should fit well into the WCO as a possession receiver who will be schemed open in space to use his athletic ability to gain YAC. Is not a guy you would rely on to beat man-coverage or beat C3 corners on deep outs/comebacks.

There was one of those typical winners and losers of FA editions on Niner's Wire saying that Kendrick Bourne was a loser because of the trade for Matthews. I like Bourne and was a bit disappointed that he didn't make more headway last year with all of the injuries ahead of him. One of the things I have noticed is that he has some of the same issues you noted with Matthews. He always uses his hands to catch the ball rather than his body and isn't afraid to go after it. Unfortunately he isn't always consistent with his catching and dropped a few balls last year that it looks like he should have had. He does seem to have fairly quick feet so I guess he and Matthews will be competing for snaps. May the best man win. Enjoy your videos on YouTube. I hope they are starting to catch on with viewers outside of this forum.

They are, surprisingly so. My 3 videos this week had about 10k views altogether. I got over 450 subscribers now.

Really was not expecting that.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Mar 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM ]

I haven't followed Mathews much since his days under Chip Kelly where he was almost exclusively a slot receiver.

What do you think his chances are of making the team and do you think Kyle will plan to keep him in the slot mostly?
Ultimately, I think he's going to be cut. Hope he proves me wrong. I don't see Shanahan valueing his red zone ability that much
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by cciowa:
I thought we were told kyle does not listen to the fans! more than likely kyle saw his little guys who can not get free at the line and can not catch a tough pass in the middle of the field and saw how woefully in adequate we are in the red zone and said,. well time to do something different.

Pettis got free at the line all game long.
even if i believe you. that is one guy who did it but can not be counted like the other 2 in taylor and goodwin due to their ability to get hurt. and as has been proven, we were horrid in the red zone. now maybe red zone touchdowns are an over rated stat like sacks but it is vital we do better in that area or we will not see 8 wins which is what this team is capable of right now
[ Edited by cciowa on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:17 AM ]
even if i believe you. that is one guy who did it but can not be counted like the other 2 in taylor and goodwin due to their ability to get hurt. and as has been proven, we were horrid in the red zone. now maybe red zone touchdowns are an over rated stat like sacks but it is vital we do better in that area or we will not see 8 wins which is what this team is capable of right now

Watch some tape and see for yourself. Or just watch Jonnydel breakdowns. Educated opinions >>> Gut opinions
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Watch some tape and see for yourself. Or just watch Jonnydel breakdowns. Educated opinions >>> Gut opinions
thats fine. but it still stands. one guy who can do it but can not be counted on like taylor and goodwin due to injuries. bourne is not a number one or two or even a 3 guy and we still have no one who can catch a touchdown pass in the red zone

Lol, Kyle will get on the podium and talk about how red zone touchdowns are overrated like sacks. I'd lose my s**t laughing.
Matthews has averaged 2 TDs a season the last 3 years. Why do you guys talk about him like he's a huge RZ threat? If he was still the same player he was in his first 2 seasons, he wouldn't have been available for peanuts.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Lol, Kyle will get on the podium and talk about how red zone touchdowns are overrated like sacks. I'd lose my s**t laughing.
and a few sheep will say.. you know he is right

Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Matthews has averaged 2 TDs a season the last 3 years. Why do you guys talk about him like he's a huge RZ threat? If he was still the same player he was in his first 2 seasons, he wouldn't have been available for peanuts.

he was in Buffalo dude....

we act like we didn't take on these reclamation projects before. Marquise Goodwin was also a nobody in Buffalo too.

we act like we didn't take on these reclamation projects before. Marquise Goodwin was also a nobody in Buffalo too.

He was in Buffalo for only one of those 3 seasons.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Had his best year with Sam Bradford.

Matthews is definitely a reclamation project. He actually looked pretty good when Foles was the starter in Phily. The minute Wentz came back, his production fell off the cliff. I had him on my fantasy team for a bit last season. :-)
thats fine. but it still stands. one guy who can do it but can not be counted on like taylor and goodwin due to injuries. bourne is not a number one or two or even a 3 guy and we still have no one who can catch a touchdown pass in the red zone

They have plenty of guys who can catch touchdowns in the redzone. The execution needs to be better overall but this is just ridiculous hyperbole.

Would Beckham be counted on despite his injuries?
Share 49ersWebzone