LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 245 users in the forums

Deebo Samuel-WR-South Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Waterbear:
With adding Aiyuk, Hurd, Taylor, and Jennings this season I really feel like we have the best WR group since the good ole days.

Yes. I'm taking this group over last year's and Boldin + Crabtree.

I'd agree w you if we knew what to expect from Taylor and Hurd. If they can play to the level we saw in 2017 and 2019 preseason, respectively then I agree fully.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
With adding Aiyuk, Hurd, Taylor, and Jennings this season I really feel like we have the best WR group since the good ole days.

I'd agree w you if we knew what to expect from Taylor and Hurd. If they can play to the level we saw in 2017 and 2019 preseason, respectively then I agree fully.

I think we only degrade boldin+crabtree because kap made bad decisions. Boldin is Solid AF.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I don't know about Taylor - he's coming back from that ACL. I think it's going to take him a bit to get his legs back. Hurd's back has been cleared and I think he comes out blazing.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 14, 2020 at 12:06 AM ]

Yes. I'm taking this group over last year's and Boldin + Crabtree
Originally posted by mayo49:

I don't know about Taylor - he's coming back from that ACL. I think it's going to take him a bit to get his legs back. Taylor has been cleared and I think he comes out blazing.

He didn't tear his acl.

Alot of potential with alot of question marks too. I'm excited to see them in action though.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't know about Taylor - he's coming back from that ACL. I think it's going to take him a bit to get his legs back. Hurd's back has been cleared and I think he comes out blazing.

Taylor had a Jones fracture then it got infected, he didn't have a ACL injury at all.

Taylor had preseason surgery on his foot that was only supposed to keep him out for a game or two. Eventually he went on IR and would be out at least eight weeks. Shanahan told reporters Saturday during his press conference Taylor had another surgery on his foot, and then an infection that stemmed from that surgery.

"Yeah, the first surgery, you're hoping it took about four weeks just to clear that up with Trent, so everyone knows," Shanahan told reporters at the team facility. "You do a surgery, you hope it takes about four weeks. His bone did heal, which was good, but the stuff around it got very irritated from a screw he had in there, so we had to do the surgery over again, which would have been another four weeks, which gave him a chance to be back. It was just, that's what doubled it up. Then after the second surgery, two weeks into it, when they take the cast off to put a new one on just to see how it was, it was infected. So, they had to start that over again.

"So, once he had the setback for the second surgery, he was just going to go until Week 8 instead of Week 4. Once the infection happened, then he realty got behind the eight ball on that. So, it's just, it's been unfortunate as a guy could have. I know he's pretty upset about it, but you know, that's why I don't expect him back this year but I know he'll be back here next year and we are very glad he will be."
Originally posted by Nastastical:
I so badly wish Pettis had Deebo's mindset. You just don't see any positive news about him working out or trying to become a leader. He's such a weird fit on a team filled with so many guys who share similar personalities that are completely opposite of his own. Hopefully they start to rub off on him, but I doubt it.

Every coaches/teachers nightmare --- seeing someone blessed with ridiculous ability/telent but no intrinsic drive to become what he was built for and coasting to her by.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 14, 2020 at 6:21 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Kind of a mixed bag hearing it was Sanders, Deebo and Bourne but not the other guys. Obviously due to injury or whatever those were the top 3 WRs down the stretch but would've liked to see the other guys be included...curious why they weren't. Easy theory is Dante didn't care enough to do it but I'd think James would try to get in on that and climb the depth chart.

Either way hopefully the WR group takes what Deebo and Bourne learned from Sanders and gets the whole group involved and they all feed off each other.

When fans ask if trading for Sanders was worth it, point to this every time. He instilled traits in them that are built on the foundation of professionalism.
Really like what this guy has brought to the team on and off the field. It's great to see guys with football first attitudes and putting in hard work.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I think we only degrade boldin+crabtree because kap made bad decisions. Boldin is Solid AF.

I disagree. I think Boldin did fine with Kap and he was a beast. Looking back I really think Crabtree was overrated he had so many damn drops and was just okay after the catch.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I was thinking if the target was Boldin instead of Crabtree during the Super Bowl, it might have been a completion. Boldin would have risked his life just to get the ball. IMHO Boldin was one of the toughest wide receivers when he was playing especially with Arizona aside from his route running skills. I think when he got his face smashed by a defender, he didn't let go of the football even when he hit the ground.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by genus49:
Kind of a mixed bag hearing it was Sanders, Deebo and Bourne but not the other guys. Obviously due to injury or whatever those were the top 3 WRs down the stretch but would've liked to see the other guys be included...curious why they weren't. Easy theory is Dante didn't care enough to do it but I'd think James would try to get in on that and climb the depth chart.

Either way hopefully the WR group takes what Deebo and Bourne learned from Sanders and gets the whole group involved and they all feed off each other.

When fans ask if trading for Sanders was worth it, point to this every time. He instilled traits in them that are built on the foundation of professionalism.
Do you think it's worth to bring him back if Sanders becomes available again after a short stint with the Saints and he agrees for lesser money?
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Do you think it's worth to bring him back if Sanders becomes available again after a short stint with the Saints and he agrees for lesser money?

No. If he plays a couple years in NO he'll be too old.
Deebo training with AP and other RBs will take his YAC game to the next level. He'll give Aiyuk the run for his money to keep his "YAC KING" title..lol. A great problem to have.
Share 49ersWebzone