Game day Preseason Week 1 Vs Dallas Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Matt Maiocco‏Verified account @MaioccoNBCSFollowFollow @MaioccoNBCS
More
The early word on #49ers TE George Kittle, via source, is his right shoulder injury is not too serious. Most likely a sprain that could keep him out a couple of weeks.

Oh thank God. This dude is slated to have a good year. Jimmy loves his kittle lololol

Hopefully, he's back by week 1.
Really not concerned about that much yet considering the starters got one series. Oline is a little rough on run blocks, but it is basically a brand new unit and they need some time together to gel. If we still cant run the ball in the third preseason game there is reason for concern there. Ward does bother me, but I imagine he is basically going to be a backup at every position so ideally you wont see him a lot. We will need most of our rush to come from Buck and Foster...that is a problem if one or both gets hurt, but it looks to me like they can give us enough and we can supplement with some blitz packages that it wont be terrible. Wont be great but I think we could see a lower top 10 defense with the guys we have. I can see a D that gives up yards and makes up for it with splash plays being a real possibility. I liked Jimmy's command of the offense, think he needs some more play time though, looks like there is still a little work on rapport with receivers, some missed throws by all the QB's were from differing opinions on route combos and a pass or two sailed on him. Far from a cause for concern it was one series, but I look forward to game three to see him get a full quarter to work. Biggest thing that stood out was blown assignments on both sides of the ball, you saw TE's expecting blocking help, and holes going unfilled etc...that comes down to system infamiliarity. Shanny needs to get that coached out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully all the injuries were minor and we have everyone ready to go when it gets real.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I trust Kyle to be able to do his thing and take advantage of the skillsets of various players like he did last season.

Look at what happened to the Rams yesterday. Are they a terrible team now?

all of their starters were sitting......

and so were ours after about one series.
  • thl408
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Really not concerned about that much yet considering the starters got one series. Oline is a little rough on run blocks, but it is basically a brand new unit and they need some time together to gel. If we still cant run the ball in the third preseason game there is reason for concern there. Ward does bother me, but I imagine he is basically going to be a backup at every position so ideally you wont see him a lot. We will need most of our rush to come from Buck and Foster...that is a problem if one or both gets hurt, but it looks to me like they can give us enough and we can supplement with some blitz packages that it wont be terrible. Wont be great but I think we could see a lower top 10 defense with the guys we have. I can see a D that gives up yards and makes up for it with splash plays being a real possibility. I liked Jimmy's command of the offense, think he needs some more play time though, looks like there is still a little work on rapport with receivers, some missed throws by all the QB's were from differing opinions on route combos and a pass or two sailed on him. Far from a cause for concern it was one series, but I look forward to game three to see him get a full quarter to work. Biggest thing that stood out was blown assignments on both sides of the ball, you saw TE's expecting blocking help, and holes going unfilled etc...that comes down to system infamiliarity. Shanny needs to get that coached out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully all the injuries were minor and we have everyone ready to go when it gets real.
Yeah the run blocking as a unit is going to require cohesion and with Coleman Shelton(?) in there as starter at RG, I don't know how much reps were had between him, Richberg, and McG. Kyle's offense isn't easy to learn. I remember last preseason we were worried when guys lined up incorrectly with illegal formation/shifting penalties. Those all went away by week 2. Point is we can rest assured that the blown assignments will lessen as weeks pass.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
the other teams are also not going to be in shock and awe of kyle jimmy and our offense like so many are, i am sure they are looking at our offensive line as a place to exploit and are not scared of our pass rush.

I trust Kyle to be able to do his thing and take advantage of the skillsets of various players like he did last season.

deflection. i could care less about other teams right now
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
the other teams are also not going to be in shock and awe of kyle jimmy and our offense like so many are, i am sure they are looking at our offensive line as a place to exploit and are not scared of our pass rush.

The NFL has figured out Kyle's offense
sounds like they found out if you punch our guys in the mouth. they get hurt
Our pass rush is non-existent. We will struggle defensively.
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah the run blocking as a unit is going to require cohesion and with Coleman Shelton(?) in there as starter at RG, I don't know how much reps were had between him, Richberg, and McG. Kyle's offense isn't easy to learn. I remember last preseason we were worried when guys lined up incorrectly with illegal formation/shifting penalties. Those all went away by week 2. Point is we can rest assured that the blown assignments will lessen as weeks pass.

I think those complaints went away because we were too busy complaining about how bad Hoyer was.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedLion49er:
Our pass rush is non-existent. We will struggle defensively.

i hope and pray they will call up elvis in two weeks to at least do something in the regular season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I think those complaints went away because we were too busy complaining about how bad Hoyer was.
I remember looking into it this past offseason and it was something like 2 illegal formation penalties in week 1 (to go along with a number of them during the 2017 preseason), then there was only one more for the rest of the 2017 season. Something like that. But yeah, Hoyer was a good distraction from everything else hah.

You could?
Starters didn't show very well last night...offense looked somewhat shaky and the defense got run over and missed relatively easy coverages. I'm sure Coach isn't real happy with their effort/execution. Yeah, it's the first preseason game, but you'd expect more from your starters. Dallas certainly did, and they got it.

Our reserves showed some heart and perseverance, particularly in the 4th qtr. Mullens looked good...showed poise & accuracy. Sure, it was against the Cowboys' 3rd stringers, but it was still a positive performance. Liked McNichols' effort...he ran hard and with a purpose. Bourne continues to progress, and you have to be excited about Richie James. Mostert ran well...but did cough up the ball on a very promising drive. Still, his ST play and ability to run well should insure him a roster spot. Joe Williams had some good moments. Reserve OL played well enough to come back...good on them.

On defense, the starters mostly sucked...still no real QB pressure and getting gashed by Dallas' rushing attack was kinda ugly. The reserves hung in there pretty well to afford the opportunity for the comeback. I'd say it's a safe bet Saleh's not real happy with the lapses he saw. Julian Taylor was overall fairly impressive...he showed grit & determination and very good fitness to play in all 4 qtrs.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'd be remiss if I did not point out that the Rams played none of their guys

Most of the 49ers key starters played like a series. Its not like Staley, Buckner and others were there in the 2nd quarter.

It's not deflection. It's called perspective.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'd be remiss if I did not point out that the Rams played none of their guys

Most of the 49ers key starters played like a series. Its not like Staley, Buckner and others were there in the 2nd quarter.

And looked terrible in that series. Dallas should have just gave Rod Smith the ball the entire first series, would have scored easily. But I mean scoring on Ward is probably the next easiest option.
Share 49ersWebzone