LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 198 users in the forums

How about that 2017 rookie class?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Feels good having so many rookies that played. The roster was terrible, but still... only the Saints had as good a draft. And they gave up a 2018 2nd rounder for Kamara.

Behold:

Round 1, Pick 3 Solomon Thomas - Solid Contributor, possible bust for #3 overall
Round 1, Pick 31 Reuben Foster - Superstar if healthy
Round 3, Pick 2 Ahkello Witherspoon - Solid Contributor, possible starter
Round 3, Pick 40 C.J. Beathard - Solid Contributor, durable backup
Round 4, Pick 15 Joe Williams - Injured, possible miss
Round 5, Pick 2 George Kittle - Solid Contributor, possible #1 TE
Round 5, Pick 34 Trent Taylor - Solid Contributor, great slot WR
Round 6, Pick 14 D.J. Jones - ??? possible miss
Round 6, Pick 18 Pita Taumoepenu - ??? possible miss
Round 7, Pick 11 Adrian Colbert - Solid Contributor, possible starter
UDFA - Victor Bolden - Contributed
UDFA - Kendrick Bourne - Contributed
UDFA - Matt Breida - Solid Contributor, possible co-starter

If the 49ers have a similar hit rate next draft with a couple good FA, no question they can go all the way. Can argue that the 2018 draft has already started fantastically with Garappolo.

Compare 2017 to the ugliness of the 2012 : depressing read https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/01/07/baalkes-2012-49ers-draft-the-one-that-went-wrong/

Rookie snap count for mid-November:
[ Edited by delphs on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:03 PM ]
I could've done better.
Trent's numbers are better than the top 2 WRs taken.(maybe better than them combined)
Nice post, elevate Colbert to potential superstar and I'm there. Great draft haul
i like it alaaht.
If the 2018 draft elevates this team even more, look out nfl.
This class got the playing time and produced. The front office has a ton of cash and some high draft picks in 2018. We could be looking at years of contending if we make the right picks.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
This class got the playing time and produced. The front office has a ton of cash and some high draft picks in 2018. We could be looking at years of contending if we make the right picks.

This. Very big offseason with signing Garoppolo, FA & then the draft will be huge for this franchise to get back where we want to be! Great time to be a 49ers fan
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Team49ers:
i like it alaaht.
If the 2018 draft elevates this team even more, look out nfl.
The 2017 draft feels a bit like the 1986 draft, and the Garoppolo trade feels like we got a Joe Cool kind of a QB. If you consider the Garoppolo trade as 2018, then the 2018 offseason cycle is already an A+. If you consider the Garoppolo trade as a part of the 2017 offseason cycle, then the 2017 draft is more like the 1981 draft in my opinion because that draft propelled this franchise into a dynasty. (with Joe Cool emerging as one heck of a QB, as JImmy did this past year).
How are DJ Jones and Pita Taumoepenu possible misses? Jones looked solid in limited opportunities, and Pita literally took a redshirt year on the bench.

Also, Colbert and Witherspoon are definite starters. Both stepped up big and showed they will likely be nice players.

Solomon Thomas might never be a superstar, but he also wont be a bust. His floor is a solid starting interior DL.

One of the best in Niner lore.

Not sure if anyone else had as good a draft this year?

We got mega production from this class.
This looks to be a pretty good 1st draft for Lynch and company. If anyone were to be told before the draft, that we would be able to walk away with S. Thomas+ R. Foster with our first 2 picks, and have more picks coming to us in the 2018 draft due to us wiggling around in the 1st while we land those 2 guys, I think everyone would think it would have been impossible. It happened though due to Foster sliding on an incredible slide but fortunate for us.
As far as the rest of the draft goes, we got some good players that basically are starters going forward in Kittle+Witherspoon, and most likely Taylor. Colbert looked good, and will be battling for that starting FS next year, and personally I hope he wins it, because he covers a lot of ground, and he's dirt cheap for 3 more years. Ward might need to go back to CB, but we will see.

Here's to hoping we land our starting LEO+Guard or Center out of this draft at the least, and get some more guys who can be difference makers sooner rather than later. We need 1 more LB to go with Foster+Smith so I don't know if we go FA or look to the draft? Time will tell. Hopefully there's a deal to be made to move down with a team looking to land a top QB, so we can get multiple good picks not only this year, but 1 or 2 next year as well. With the money we have for FA, we need to continue to add as many top end picks to continue to have cheap labor to go along with our veterans. Yes I know that no picks are guarantees, but having more early round picks is a good way to scrape more cream from the top of draft boards, than looking at the middle or the end of draft boards and the projects type guys.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
One of the best in Niner lore.

Not sure if anyone else had as good a draft this year?

We got mega production from this class.

Really like our draft - but the Saints may have had a legendary one.
Most playing time isn't the best argument when next in line are the Jets, Saints, Colts and Browns. Really it's saying your team sucks so you got to play rookies.

But in our case those picks delivered or at least showed the potential to.
Still too early....can't analyze a draft class til at least 5 years(Alex Smith certainly looked like a total bust for a while)

However love the potential and what we've seen so far.
Share 49ersWebzone