LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

1st Team All Pro - TE George Kittle Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by English:
And now unfortunately Grant Cohn is getting involved and exercising his wisdom in the matter. He appears to be predicting a hold-out.

So if Grant says that it means Kittle will sign his new contract and will eventually retire a 49er.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Most extensions are halted due to the situation we are living. The only big name from the 2017 draft class who has been extended so far are CMC and Eddie Jackson. Mahomes, Watson, Kamara, Cook and others could be ready for an extension as well.
Jamal Adams, Joey Bosa are set to reset their respective positions markets, but nothing has been said about those extensions. Just random trade rumors about Adams because, well, he plays for the Jets and they have Adam Gase.
What I mean is teams will be cautious with big extensions for now, with the possibility of a flat salary cap or worse.

this

Yup. The possibility that the cap will shrink (I think is a good possibility) and how *much* will the cap shrink is going to be very important in the Kittle contract. I can see this being a big holdup for every team wrestling with franchise level contracts, not just the 49ers.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Most extensions are halted due to the situation we are living. The only big name from the 2017 draft class who has been extended so far are CMC and Eddie Jackson. Mahomes, Watson, Kamara, Cook and others could be ready for an extension as well.
Jamal Adams, Joey Bosa are set to reset their respective positions markets, but nothing has been said about those extensions. Just random trade rumors about Adams because, well, he plays for the Jets and they have Adam Gase.
What I mean is teams will be cautious with big extensions for now, with the possibility of a flat salary cap or worse.

this

Yup. The possibility that the cap will shrink (I think is a good possibility) and how *much* will the cap shrink is going to be very important in the Kittle contract. I can see this being a big holdup for every team wrestling with franchise level contracts, not just the 49ers.

Has anybody besides McCaffrey/Tannehill signed a franchise level extension this offseason?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
"Awesome. Kyle, he's the man," Kittle responded. "I love playing for him. I think one of my favorite things about him is, first thing, he just loves football so much. And when you have a guy who loves football, and it's not work for him, it makes it pretty easy to play for the guy.
"He doesn't have to give us a pump-up speech or anything like that. You can just tell how much it means to him."
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137201-49ers-george-kittle-breaks-down-loves-playing-shanahan/
George isn't going anywhere, and even though his agent would want him to go to a team that would pay him QB money, I don't think Kittle will allow his agent to do that. He loves playing for Kyle too much.
[ Edited by Giedi on Jun 5, 2020 at 9:39 AM ]
No worries boys Kittle not going anywhere
Originally posted by Giedi:
"Awesome. Kyle, he's the man," Kittle responded. "I love playing for him. I think one of my favorite things about him is, first thing, he just loves football so much. And when you have a guy who loves football, and it's not work for him, it makes it pretty easy to play for the guy.
"He doesn't have to give us a pump-up speech or anything like that. You can just tell how much it means to him."
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137201-49ers-george-kittle-breaks-down-loves-playing-shanahan/
George isn't going anywhere, and even though his agent would want him to go to a team that would pay him QB money, I don't think Kittle will allow his agent to do that. He loves playing for Kyle too much.

Kittle golfed with Shanny this off season and told him he loves being in SF and doesn't want to leave.
Well, one would hope that Kittle has that kind of head on his shoulders, where it would be better to play in a great situation and with a great coach, than for Cleve and a lousy organization and who knows what kind of coach. Hopefully this takes care of the salary issues.

Also there is the question of is $12 mil not enough and a player just has to make that extra $3 mil? At what cost....and i don't mean $$$ here. It's the other things as noted above.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Has anybody besides McCaffrey/Tannehill signed a franchise level extension this offseason?

This Covid-19 has put the breaks on a lot of extensions. Even Mahomes hasn't been signed yet. How are teams suppose to move ahead with this big money deals when they have no idea what the Cap is going to be past this upcoming season. This is why it doesn't make much sense to sign Kittle right now when they don't have to. He is not a free agent. And I think Kittle and his agent already stated they are going to be patient. So I don't see them demanding to be signed prior to the season or they will sit out. I think Kittle would be fine playing out the year without a longterm extension. He knows he is going to get paid. He wants to be here and he knows the team wants him here. I do think he would have been signed already if not for this virus.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Jun 5, 2020 at 5:19 PM ]
Grant is such a Cuckhold
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Kittle golfed with Shanny this off season and told him he loves being in SF and doesn't want to leave.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, one would hope that Kittle has that kind of head on his shoulders, where it would be better to play in a great situation and with a great coach, than for Cleve and a lousy organization and who knows what kind of coach. Hopefully this takes care of the salary issues.

Also there is the question of is $12 mil not enough and a player just has to make that extra $3 mil? At what cost....and i don't mean $$$ here. It's the other things as noted above.

Agree with both, and I think the 49ers can get a 3 to 5 million adjustment in the cap by just restructuring any of the big contracts that they have in the inventory to get that extra 3 to 5 million needed to sign Kittle. Not having to pay Buckner did save a ton of cap money for Kittle. And It think it's worth the extra 3 to 5 million to affect the culture of the 49ers. Kittle has high character and high work ethics. You pay a guy that kind of money, all the rookies and 2nd year players stand up and pay attention as to *who* got that money and how can *they* get that kind of money too. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra premium to (for example) reuben foster, Ray Mcdonald, or Bruce Miller for all their Personal *red flags* -- I think doing so would impact the kind of culture ShanaLynch would want in the 49ers. It would be basically promoting domestic violence as a criteria for getting a big contract, in a sense.

Not just the headline $$$ amount that matters. It's how much he can expect to cash out from the contract. Paraag contracts have a nice chunk upfront and lots of incentives. Kittle will cash incentives playing for Kyle, win games and have a blast doing it.
He'll be a niner for life. Nothing to worry about.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Kittle's playstyle could shorten his career compared to other great TE's like Gonzalez, Graham, Written, and Gates so he should go for the absolute max he can get.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

Kittle's playstyle could shorten his career compared to other great TE's like Gonzalez, Graham, Written, and Gates so he should go for the absolute max he can get.
AGree. I'm all for a good understudy for Kittle that can sub in for him so Kittle can extend his career. That Labrum tear he currently has, it's bugging me. I hope it doesn't affect his career or his performance, and I hope (One way or another) it's taken cared of and healed up by next year -- where I anticipate he'll begin a new 4 year contract.
Yeah, that Labrum tear is bothering. What is the usual recovery time from surgery on that? If it isn't too long, then he needs to get it the day after this coming season ends. Basically let him and his agent know that if they want that extension, he needs to have that fixed, so there's less, "WORRY" on their future investment into him.
Share 49ersWebzone