There are 208 users in the forums

Roster Analysis: Before the Draft and Free Agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The only player I disagree on in the keep versus let go part of your post is Tiller. I think he looks somewhat quick for a guard and would be valuable as a backup or starter in the future.

I also do not understand the overall idea of switching to a 4-3 and specifically how Armstead and Buckner would fit in. How are two 6'7 plus 3-4 DE's going to fit in this system. To me, Dorsey and Carradine are the only players on this roster that fit a 4-3 better than a 3-4.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Nice work.
Not sure if anyone will trade for Bethea though.
Also, if they are still around, I think Brooks and Harold are likely to flip positions on that list.

We'll see what they do, but Brooks has played linebacker his entire career whether it was 4-3 or 3-4 and Harold played DE in college. At a bulked up 265, I figure he's moved onto the line.

I should correct myself - instead of them likely to flip positions, I think they have a better chance to succeed if they did.
I really like your post!

What happens to Bellore and Wilhoite at LB? I think both of them can provide depth.

I totally agree with you on the guys that should be let go. Add to that DL Chris Jones, DL Glenn Dorsey, CB Chris Davis, CB/S Marcus Cromartie. No need to keep players that won't contribute at all.

QB- Release Kaepernick, sign Schaub, Hoyer, and draft David Webb

RB- I like the 3 backs.

WR- We have to add a big time speed weapon at WR either through draft or FA.

TE's are rock solid.

O- line we should be good for this year. If not develop or acquire O- linemen going forward.

DE- Ok but need a pass rusher big time.

DT- Ok but need an awesome run stuffer.

LB- Need help both inside and out don't see any play makers beyond Bowman and we know how it's gone for him lately.

CB- We're good

S- Draft sign a playmaking FS if Ward ain't the answer and let Tartt go at SS.

K- Dawson is still good for now.
I can't agree with signing both the rb's.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great post OTC.

Mostly agree with the who should walk and who should re-sign. Tiller is a RFA iirc, and I'd at least tender him bring camp to compete for a spot. I don't think he has the footspeed for this scheme, but he's been our best guard 2 years in a row and should get a shot to prove us wrong. Kerley and Hodges I'd like to re-sign and be part of the 53. The rest of the guys can be re-signed with the hope they all get beat out by better players.

Definitely need to start fresh at QB. Bring in 2 FA's, 1 drafted QB, and 1 UDFA QB. 4 players brought to camp.

At WR I want to see something like this going into camp:

X: Torrey Smith
Z: Free Agent
Y: Kerley
4th: Draft Pick

The Final 2 spots is a free for all between Burbridge, Smelter, Ellington, Rogers, Harper, and whoever else we bring in.

Defensively I can see how some of the existing parts can work in this defense. We need to focus on adding pass rushers and speed at linebacker. I agree with you Carradine. I'm done with him and don't see his fit. He's not explosive enough for LEO. He doesn't play the run well enough for strong side end. He can't function in space. He doesn't do well as an interior pass rusher. He's just not a good player. Move on.

Secondary has some good players. See how the draft board shakes out, if theres a single-high safety available grab him. Keep an eye out for bigger, longer corners who can press.

I hate to nitpick....but a Y is an online TE. Depending on personnel packages slot WR are referred to as either Zebras (11 personnel) or Eagles and E in 10 and 20 personnel packages.

11 personnel

Zero TE personnel packages

Base personnel

Again, not trying to be nitpicky....honestly, I'm thrilled we get to use WCO terms again.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 16, 2017 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
I hate to nitpick....but a Y is an online TE. Depending on personnel packages slot WR are referred to as either Zebras (11 personnel) or Eagles and E in 10 and 20 personnel packages.

11 personnel

Zero TE personnel packages

Again, not trying to be nitpicky....honestly, I'm just thrilled that we get to use WCO terms again

Its all good, thanks for the correction. WCO is back!
Good post. I fully expect your "Let Them Walk" list is gonna be pretty accurate. But I don't see Cromartie staying around either. And I don't see Ward playing safety. I think we let Brock walk, or move him to the slot. Ward and Robinson are our starters there, IMHO. But for sure this roster is gonna see a huge turn-a-round, as it should.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Good post. I fully expect your "Let Them Walk" list is gonna be pretty accurate. But I don't see Cromartie staying around either. And I don't see Ward playing safety. I think we let Brock walk, or move him to the slot. Ward and Robinson are our starters there, IMHO. But for sure this roster is gonna see a huge turn-a-round, as it should.

Speaking of the corners, I wonder what Saleh's primary coverage scheme will be. Will he go Seattle style and play Cover 3 with his corners in press? If so, I'd love to see Robinson overtake Brock as the starter. Then at the other spot maybe a guy like Dontae Johnson gets back in the mix. He's played decent when called on, and is the type of size/speed player that does well in that kind of coverage. Ward is versatile enough to line up at anywhere, we'll find a good spot for him regardless.

Speaking of the corners, I wonder what Saleh's primary coverage scheme will be. Will he go Seattle style and play Cover 3 with his corners in press? If so, I'd love to see Robinson overtake Brock as the starter. Then at the other spot maybe a guy like Dontae Johnson gets back in the mix. He's played decent when called on, and is the type of size/speed player that does well in that kind of coverage. Ward is versatile enough to line up at anywhere, we'll find a good spot for him regardless.
That's a main reason I think Ward and Robinson will be our starters at corner. They both thrive in press-man, and they are both highly aggressive. And Dontae Johnson will make it very hard on the coaches, as he thrives in that style as well. If Ward, Robinson, and DJ are on the field at the same time, in that a Seattle-style press scheme, look for Ward to play some variant of a "robber" role. That's why I see Brock being the odd man out. I don't see him fitting in that type of scheme. And I see Tartt having a breakout year. I don't think Bethea will be returning. If we cannot trade him I think he'll be released, or just relegated to a backup role.
Great post. Kind of saddening really.

Speaking of WCO, we're gonna need to get a dadgum Fullback. Like a 5'11 240lbs and pissed off all the time Fullback. Who can catch. And pick up blitzes.
All our backs are dicey for that role.

That's a main reason I think Ward and Robinson will be our starters at corner. They both thrive in press-man, and they are both highly aggressive. And Dontae Johnson will make it very hard on the coaches, as he thrives in that style as well. If Ward, Robinson, and DJ are on the field at the same time, in that a Seattle-style press scheme, look for Ward to play some variant of a "robber" role. That's why I see Brock being the odd man out. I don't see him fitting in that type of scheme. And I see Tartt having a breakout year. I don't think Bethea will be returning. If we cannot trade him I think he'll be released, or just relegated to a backup role.

Good points. I'm also seeing Brock as the odd man out when all is said and done, but we'll see. Robinson, Ward, and Johnson definitely fit. Robinson needs to bulk up a little and clean up his tackling, but he's got the length and cover skills to be great. I'd like to see Tartt settle into a role, particularly at SS/Robber role we see a bigger safety like Kam Chancellor thriving in.
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
Great post. Kind of saddening really.

Speaking of WCO, we're gonna need to get a dadgum Fullback. Like a 5'11 240lbs and pissed off all the time Fullback. Who can catch. And pick up blitzes.
All our backs are dicey for that role.

FB should be a relatively easy position to fill. There are a number of good ones in FA this year, including Patrick DiMarco who played for Shanahan last 2 years in ATL.

7th rd is always great value for a FB, like we did with Bruce Miller.

Good points. I'm also seeing Brock as the odd man out when all is said and done, but we'll see. Robinson, Ward, and Johnson definitely fit. Robinson needs to bulk up a little and clean up his tackling, but he's got the length and cover skills to be great. I'd like to see Tartt settle into a role, particularly at SS/Robber role we see a bigger safety like Kam Chancellor thriving in.

I definitely agree that Robinson needs to bulk up. But I was among the fans here that was really upset that we "wasted" a pick on him. I just didn't think that a 177 lbs CB coming into the NFC west could be effective or even have a chance to make an impact. Boy, was I wrong, and I had no problem admitting that! And you're right. His tackling has to get better. But honestly, I don't think that was for lack of effort. From what I saw his WILLINGNESS to tackle is there, and obvious. I really think Robinson's tackling issue is technique. He is TERRIBLE at breaking down; he arrives with force but is too high too often to bring anybody to the ground. But the game he put on film is undeniable. He just needs some coaching. And this is coming from a kid - correct me if I'm wrong - who was out of football the previous year. Like I said, I was wrong about this kid. But I think he's our BEST CB, who should follow the opposing team's best WR.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice analysis, Clock.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:56 PM ]
  • thl408
Awesome comprehensive review, OTC. Totally agree with a lot. I didn't realize how iffy the OLB position was, thinking it was okay, but I think you're right. Hodges/RayRay's past as 4-3olbs suggests they may not do well. I have more hope in RayRay becoming something after his small sample last season. Hodges seemed really slow with instincts and I would think that's why MIN gave him up.

OT is a group I wouldn't mind investing a day 2 pick on. Staley may decline at any point to average, and I am skeptical of Brown's fit in this offense. Excellent pass pro, but I'll be pleasantly shocked if he does well run blocking for outside zone. I'd like a good prospect in the pipeline if the new staff doesn't consider Theus that guy.

A scatback type of RB to back up Hyde and act as change of pace back can really add a good dimension they haven't had in years. Someone with speed in the open field for Kyle to use.

Lots of work for the FO to do and it won't be done in one year. It seems as though they know they can be patient and I don't see them as huge spenders in the upcoming FA.
Share 49ersWebzone