Shop: 2024 49ers Training Camp Headwear →

There are 121 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Do they put assistants in the HOF....? If they don't they should. A bunch of them deserved to be in the HOF like Gibbs. And some of them were so content at their job, they don't look for or want promotions.
  • thl408
Originally posted by rorrim:
The Rise and Fall of RG3: Film Breakdown of What REALLY Happened by Alex Rollins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTL6UGj5tek

That was a good video and I do think there's a bit of correlation to Lance. If Lance goes around trying to truck LBs like he did in college, that will force Kyle to dial back on the zone read plays. And if that happens then the threat of the QB as a runner will be reduced, thus reducing the favorable looks they get in the passing game.

I wasn't aware that folks in RG3's camp asked that Mike/Kyle Shanahan change the WAS offense to reduce the number of runs for RG3.
Originally posted by thl408:
The Rise and Fall of RG3: Film Breakdown of What REALLY Happened by Alex Rollins

That was a good video and I do think there's a bit of correlation to Lance. If Lance goes around trying to truck LBs like he did in college, that will force Kyle to dial back on the zone read plays. And if that happens then the threat of the QB as a runner will be reduced, thus reducing the favorable looks they get in the passing game.

I wasn't aware that folks in RG3's camp asked that Mike/Kyle Shanahan change the WAS offense to reduce the number of runs for RG3.

Like he said RG3's foundation was his 4.4 speed...take that away and he's not anything special. Lance isn't a track star (plenty fast) but he's played under center and knows what's going on pre-snap. I wouldn't call them comparable between the ears.

What I got from that video is that the Shanahan's can run a system to fit the QB they have on the roster. Gotta be able to play within the pocket end of he day....which comes with reps.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 12, 2021 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Heroism:
bruh no f**king way. Rest in Paradise to the Godfather of wide zone. There would be Shanny coaching tree, old or young, without Gibbs.

Absolutely, the coaching clinic he did with the college guys is one of the greatest football videos I've ever seen.

Ahhhhh man. RIP!

That last point is interesting to me. Did the Shanahan's quickly see RGIII couldn't be a pocket passer and just left him out there to get killed and/or hoped he would so they could turn to Cousins?

Either way, Trey is bigger and stronger but he's just at risk as any other ball carrier. What's Kyle's line to cross here on HIS prized pick?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 12, 2021 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

That last point is interesting to me. Did the Shanahan's quickly see RGIII couldn't be a pocket passer and just left him out there to get killed and/or hoped he would so they could turn to Cousins?

Either way, Trey is bigger and stronger but he's just at risk as any other ball carrier. What's Kyle's line to cross here on HIS prized pick?
Bring in both A's & Giants sliding coaches immediately

Like he said no one really knows the truth of it…The fact the Kyle has always said you gotta be able to play within the pocket as well leads me to believe that they weren't all about RG3 running around 160 times a yr…he said this back in 2013.

It's a feel when to stay a passer and when to turn into a runner," Shanahan said. "It's very tough to do both. Guys who have no choice to turn into a runner stay a passer forever until they get killed or get rid of the ball. Guys who make plays with their legs, they get caught in between a lot. Yeah, you want those guys who can make plays with their legs, you want them to turn into a runner and change the game just like Robert has done a lot.

"But there's a time and place for it. Sometimes the defense gives it to you and sometimes they don't. When you don't have it you have to get more comfortable staying a passer and keeping your eyes downfield and progressing and getting rid of the ball."

RG3 just never got there and the knee injury held back his development as a pocket passer…because he never had to be a pocket passer prior.

This is one of the best explanation regarding RG3 success and subsequent failure by Mike Shanahan. You just have to stay past Skip Bayless and listen carefully to Mike till the end. I've listened to 2-3 Mike Shanahan interviews on RG3 and he's been pretty consistent on what happened to Robert.

One of the main point at the end by Mike is that qb under play action and RPO gets hit less, citing Russell Wilson, if they play it right. And guys like Andrew Luck gets hit more playing in the pocket.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM ]
Drafting Cousins in the same draft as RG3 screams that they didn't give a crap what happened to RG3.

My Redskins' fan friend told me this years ago, maybe even 2013 possibly.

I believe the Shanahans knew he couldn't play in the pocket as early as that rookie training camp, and hence developed the hybrid offense for him to succeed.

If I'm not mistaken they didn't want to draft Griffin but were forced to.
Shanny crushing some drinks at the all-star game

• thl408
  • thl408
The more we see how much Kyle has drawn up plays for Lance, the more ridiculous it is to ever think he was going to draft some pure pocket passer.
Share 49ersWebzone