LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 187 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
I am worried that Shanahan is not objective in his QB evaluations.
Shanahan fell in love with Beathard and had to have him.
It's a good thing Shanny isn't in charge of the draft, hopefully Shanahan doesn't let his emotions determine who he keeps at other positions.
And hopefully Shanahan keeps an open mind to try to get the best QBOTF possible and doesn't insist only on Cousins
What on earth is your basis for saying this? Shanahan got over-eager and couldn't control himself because he fell in love with a prospect? You are pushing a narrative really hard and it seems like it's completely fabricated .
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
This is the stuff that makes me laugh.

I do not see how someone whos living is analysis can be so opposite of each other on grading a trait.

Person 1. He has a strong arm.
Person 2. He has a weak arm.

Makes it difficult to be an armchair GM! Darn it! LOL!

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
+1 Sign me up too....If kyle likes him, then fine by me. Remember, he AND his dad went to bat AGAINST Manziel and RG3 and he was right on both calls. He also made very good Qbs or improved Qbs at every stop...Hoyer, Cousins, Matt Ryan. The guy is a QB making machine. IF he likes Beathard, jumped up some to get him, then odds are we will find out why. No question that pre draft boht kyle and John play their cards extremely close to the vest.

Yes, Shanahan was asked if he expected a rookie QB to start this year he said, "No way." So this is a developmental draft for QBs and he got the one he liked.
Lol b***hing fans everywhere. Lynch and shanahan have done nothing wrong or right to b***h or praise yet besides the highway robbery trade from the bears.
So Kabri trade was Shanny's request to fit his system...

and John said ok my turn for who we should get. Joe Williams. 210 4.35 40 time.

edit- presuming out my arse here.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 29, 2017 at 10:01 AM ]
It's a good thing Shanny isn't in charge of the draft, hopefully Shanahan doesn't let his emotions determine who he keeps at other positions.
And hopefully Shanahan keeps an open mind to try to get the best QBOTF possible and doesn't insist only on Cousins

As I guess his offense is so complex only a subset of a subset of QBs can actually learn it much less master it. What this leads to is Qbs that aren't that great in general being used like AI avatars by Kyle. Matt Ryan was the only exception but then again he was always a prolific QB even in college so I give Kyle maybe 30% of the credit for last season. All other QBs have been garbage at one point and okay at others.

Mike Mayock compared this Beathard to Matt Schaub for gods sake. This is what Kyle's prototypical QB mold is: Matt Schaub!

Then you look at Hoyer, it's no wonder the type of QBs this guy loves. Old/slow/weak/but know his system front and back!

This screams of, we won't be winning games from our offense anytime soon. Yuck. Meanwhile, you got teams like the Titans/Bucs/Eagles/Cowboys/Raiders/etc. All with young QBs and promising futures that I doubt Kyle would work with any of those QBs. 6 more years of this.....should have got McDaniels sadly.....you can't learn winning.
[ Edited by awp8912 on Apr 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Lol b***hing fans everywhere. Lynch and shanahan have done nothing wrong or right to b***h or praise yet besides the highway robbery trade from the bears.

But they want McDaniels lol.
This is going to be an interesting offense to watch this year. No big name guys, but there are some nice skillets to work with. I think we may surprise some people. I still don't expect many wins, but I think we may get one or two games this year where we get an glimpse of where this offense could be in 2019.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is going to be an interesting offense to watch this year. No big name guys, but there are some nice skillets to work with. I think we may surprise some people. I still don't expect many wins, but I think we may get one or two games this year where we get an glimpse of where this offense could be in 2019.

Hyde/Joe Williams
Juszczyk
McDonald/Kittle
Garcon/Kerley/Goodwin/Robinson

They added some speed, versatility and power to the offense overall.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hyde/Joe Williams
Juszczyk
McDonald/Kittle

Rumor has it that McDonald is on the trading block so...Bell and Kittle...maybe Celek until he's injured...and Paulsen...and Hamm...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 29, 2017 at 2:49 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Lynch agreed with the pick for the QB.

Lynch agreed to make the pick.
Hopefully just to placate Shanahan and get him his guy and keep him happy.

Beathard might be one of the smartest QBs in this draft and has all the tools to be a decent starter. He's not flashy at all but very stable. He played for Iowa, not Alabama, so his supporting cast wasn't at an elite level. I trust Shanahan to pick his type of QB. He now has three QBs he believes can at least get them through the year, building his brand of offense. If he is waiting for Cousins but wanted a great backup...why not.

Or...Jed could have demanded they draft their next GM, if Beathards is a chip off his grandfather's block!

Wht rarget a backup for Cousins rather than an heir apparent? This guy should be looked at a Shanahan's plan for FQBotF.

That was on the down side; the up side is FQB. He can be either just as much as Trubisky can be. It's pretty obvious that Shanahan likes the guy or he would have picked one of the many QBs people are in love with over Beathard. Many, including me, believed they would pick Peterman, but Shanahan preferred Beathard...I'm fine with using his knowledge and instincts over mine!

If you read the reasons that shanny likes this QB, it makes sense. Smart, thinks on the go, plays in a similar system. These guys are valuable. They can be coached up to start or be traded. Either way he's not choosing upside or potential, he knows right now the kid at least has the attributes to succeed. The rest, as are all things, will be how they coach Him up. At least we know we have great coaches again

Rumor has it that McDonald is on the trading block so...Bell and Kittle...maybe Celek until he's injured...and Paulsen...and Hamm...

I bolded the key word there. We've seen a ton of rumors about this team over the offseason and 99% of them have been false. Not much leaking. Bell hasn't shown anything, not as a blocker nor as a receiver. I can see him being flat out cut.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM ]
We haven't had a qB coach since Coach Walsh, (no harbs does not count...no way), so this is going to be fascinating to watch, all season. Just what exactly kyle does wiht Hoyer, and to some degree beathard, will be of interest. But we got little slices of talent like our Amendola/ Edelman clone, who apparently catches anything in his time zone. Remarkable looking talent. There are wonderful things to watch on O this yr wiht Jusczyk , Zuttah, and kyle calling plays. Should be a fun yr. On D, it is hard to imagine us as the worst Run D this yr. Actually, i am curious to see just how hard it is to run on us this yr. My guess is a lot harder. Could we have moved up to mid league run D? Another good reason to stay tuned all yr. Looks like one of out last guys is just a slash and burn ER, with no other talents. So what, if the kid can do a decent job busting up Qbs? I am stoked about our season and don't expect us to be in the playoffs. But i do expect us to finally be fun to watch....at last.

Nice the way we got beef on DL , DBs at end of draft, along with a Slot receiver who seemingly catches everything....just a well run draft after scoring really well for D with first 3 picks. Oh and we got an OMG developmental QB....OMG as in "WHHAAAT?" That's another guy will be fun watching. Man kyle and john did a great job camoflaging their picks from us. Good for them.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
If you read the reasons that shanny likes this QB, it makes sense. Smart, thinks on the go, plays in a similar system. These guys are valuable. They can be coached up to start or be traded. Either way he's not choosing upside or potential, he knows right now the kid at least has the attributes to succeed. The rest, as are all things, will be how they coach Him up. At least we know we have great coaches again

Yes, I really don't see a down side to Beathard. He has all the qualities for a WCO QB and intelligence, high character, leadership...not sure why so many are moaning other than the fact he wasn't on the radar for most fans.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Hyde/Joe Williams
Juszczyk
McDonald/Kittle

And a functional QB in Brian Hoyer.
I bolded the key word there. We've seen a ton of rumors about this team over the offseason and 99% of them have been false. Not much leaking. Bell hasn't shown anything, not as a blocker nor as a receiver. I can see him being flat out cut.

The difference between Bell and McDonald seems pretty obvious to me...McD isn't a natural athlete or route runner, whereas Bell has a knack for finding open area. As for being cut...either might be if they fall down the depth chart. Hamm was decent last year in his few moments, Celek has out performed the others when healthy, Paulsen was signed for a reason, Kittle drafted for a reason... ..may the best men win!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone