LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 323 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Some will mis-read this, but so what. The truth needs to be told.

I'm sorry NYNiner85, but I see 6 defensive starters on that list that Saleh has been without pretty much all season, minus Williams. And that's not including key rotational players. I see two players that Shanny's been without the whole season, and one of those we really haven't seen in REAL time since we drafted him. The defense has been far more banged up than the offense. Shanny has pretty much had his O-lineman healthy, only missing one player, and has had some key weapons that this team should be at least 5-3, 6-2. He's had "his guys" for the most part. This is no excuse, or very little, given what the defense is doing.

nope. He's been without his best WR for most of the season (won both games when he was in). We're shuffling around centers. Kittle missed two weeks before the last game. We've had musical chairs at RB. OH and lost our starting QB for multiple games. and still managed to avg 26 pt per game.

god lord people try so hard to find someone to blame it's realy quit ridiculous. The answer is staring you in the face. injuries and poor QB play.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
lol. Who is the coach out there that people think has this team at 6-2 right now with all these injuries?

Not a damn one...people need to blame someone instead of looking at the simple true that we've banged up beyond belief. Once Jimmy and Kittle get put on IR they're gonna have like $80M on IR which is by far more than any team in the NFL.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Should i post his win-loss record with Jimmy and without. FYI without is pretty bad.

I'll post some stats. Jim has a 26-9 (.743%) career record, and won 17 of his first 20 starts.

Pretending he's some chump who doesn't know how to win is pretty foolish. There's a lot of teams out there that wish they had a player like Garoppolo.

Cool let's trade him to one of those teams then.

Also great he's better than a gypsy QB in Hoyer, a UDFA in Mullens, and a day 3 pick in Beathard. Ever think just having competent QB play is all that Kyle and the rest of this good roster needed?

Time to turn it up a notch at QB.

Could have drafted Mahomes instead of taking Buckner Lite.

He'll pass on the next Mahomes looking for the next Cousins while drafting the next Beathard.

The time to draft a rookie QB was when Mahomes and Watson were available.

Huge error.
Originally posted by Seansf49:
CJ was Shanahans guy. Moved up in the draft to get him. He also skipped on good QB's because he has a love affair with Kirk Cousins. Skipped on Tom Brady. Let's not act like there haven't been chances to upgrade at the position over the years.

So what are you saying? as long as Kyle is here we won't have a QB? Stop.

Jimmy just came off a SB and at least deserved the right to be the starter this yr. Also there's a thing called a cap, Brady wanted $25M per for 2yrs and Jimmy was on the books for $27M.

FWIW CJ was a late 3rd rd pick, stop acting like that meant he was gonna be the guy here

Your saying henhasn't been able to get one as long as he has been here.
How many losing seasons will Kyle get to find one?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

He'll pass on the next Mahomes looking for the next Cousins while drafting the next Beathard.

Huge error.

WooLick you're like an echo lol...yes we know and understand what happened with Mahomes. We get it, time to get over it dude.

In reality Mahomes should have been the #1 pick in the draft. Scouts and GMs had their reservations on him. I do believe Kyle said Mahomes was his top graded QB in that draft. There was also an article out last week talking about how Kyle realizes the landscape of the QB is changing and mobility is important.

It was his first draft as a HC. mistakes were made. There's also a bit of a butterfly affect if we do take Mahomes (at 2), which would have resulted in no Bosa or Warner. Possibly lower picks in 2018, who knows maybe not Kittle because they might have taken a DL instead (not taking Thomas) in all yes Mahomes is better than all those players. "What ifs" and hindsight is 20/20 isn't really an affective way to judge everything imo. Did you think Mahomes was gonna be a superstar? Or were you hoping Myles Garnett would drop?

If we did end up with Kirk, maybe he turns into a top end QB? We don't really know. Just too many what ifs to dwell on it at this point.

I'm sorry NYNiner85, but I see 6 defensive starters on that list that Saleh has been without pretty much all season, minus Williams. And that's not including key rotational players. I see two players that Shanny's been without the whole season, and one of those we really haven't seen in REAL time since we drafted him. The defense has been far more banged up than the offense. Shanny has pretty much had his O-lineman healthy, only missing one player, and has had some key weapons that this team should be at least 5-3, 6-2. He's had "his guys" for the most part. This is no excuse, or very little, given what the defense is doing.

nope. He's been without his best WR for most of the season (won both games when he was in). We're shuffling around centers. Kittle missed two weeks before the last game. We've had musical chairs at RB. OH and lost our starting QB for multiple games. and still managed to avg 26 pt per game.

god lord people try so hard to find someone to blame it's realy quit ridiculous. The answer is staring you in the face. injuries and poor QB play.

Yeah.. not seeing how someone sees this list:

QB Jimmy Garropolo
RB Raheem Mostert
RB Tevin Coleman
RB Jeff Wilson
WR Deebo Samuel
WR Jalen Hurd
TE George Kittle
TE Jordan Reed
C Weston Richburg

And their math adds up to "only 2" significant losses on offense. Huh? Kittle, Jimmy, Mostert, Coleman, Deebo, and Reed all have missed multiple games. Richburg has been out all season. These are all huge losses individually, but especially cumulatively.

He had one losing one (his first draft) where QB should have been the pick. He wanted Kirk and I don't fault him for that. Kirk could have been a stud here we don't know. hindsight is 20/20 and is very stale way to look at things.

2018 they got Jimmy and he looked like a beast, you're not taking a QB after those 5 games.

2019 he got the best player in the draft, what the hell do you want there?

come on dude. You got anything else to bring to the table besides complaining about what if and after the fact draft picks?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yeah.. not seeing how someone sees this list:

QB Jimmy Garropolo
RB Raheem Mostert
RB Tevin Coleman
RB Jeff Wilson
WR Deebo Samuel
WR Jalen Hurd
TE George Kittle
TE Jordan Reed
C Weston Richburg

And their math adds up to "only 2" significant losses on offense. Huh? Kittle, Jimmy, Mostert, Coleman, Deebo, and Reed all have missed multiple games. Richburg has been out all season. These are all huge losses individually, but especially cumulatively.

just trying to find someone to blame. Shoot we got a backup to the backup at center.

Huge error.

WooLick you're like an echo lol...yes we know and understand what happened with Mahomes. We get it, time to get over it dude.

In reality Mahomes should have been the #1 pick in the draft. Scouts and GMs had their reservations on him. I do believe Kyle said Mahomes was his top graded QB in that draft. There was also an article out last week talking about how Kyle realizes the landscape of the QB is changing and mobility is important.

It was his first draft as a HC. mistakes were made. There's also a bit of a butterfly affect if we do take Mahomes (at 2), which would have resulted in no Bosa or Warner. Possibly lower picks in 2018, who knows maybe not Kittle because they might have taken a DL instead (not taking Thomas) in all yes Mahomes is better than all those players. "What ifs" and hindsight is 20/20 isn't really an affective way to judge everything imo. Did you think Mahomes was gonna be a superstar? Or were you hoping Myles Garnett would drop?

If we did end up with Kirk, maybe he turns into a top end QB? We don't really know. Just too many what ifs to dwell on it at this point.

It makes me believe he will pass on the next Mahomes.

He had one losing one (his first draft) where QB should have been the pick. He wanted Kirk and I don't fault him for that. Kirk could have been a stud here we don't know. hindsight is 20/20 and is very stale way to look at things.

2018 they got Jimmy and he looked like a beast, you're not taking a QB after those 5 games.

2019 he got the best player in the draft, what the hell do you want there?

come on dude. You got anything else to bring to the table besides complaining about what if and after the fact draft picks?

I could complain about Jimmy all day long.

No, people don't have to go that far for blame.

He's had Kittler for 6 of the 8 games.

He's shuffled centers, but he's largely had his O-line healthy

Musical chairs at RB, but still have been productive there.

Been without his best WR, but he still has had Bourne all season, yet refuses to feature him to be more than a complementary piece.

I don't get why people think that Shanny is beyond reproach, that he cannot be critiqued, that he's played no role whatsoever with this 4-4 season. For many around here Shanny's sh!t don't stink. Poor QB play has been a major problem. But people are talking as if Jimmy G. forced his way onto this team. Shanny hand-picked him. They went out an got him. Shanny's personnel philosophy and choices have costed this team, not his scheme or play design, or play calling. And "we the fans" have every right to call him out on that.

I would take Mahomes over all the players that we selected.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
We have 20 plus million dollars in the running back room.

The only one I think worth 5 million is mostert. But my whole point is I don't think we ever have to pay or draft a running back while Kyle is our coach ever again.

As it sits right now we could probably run with just Geoff Wilson, and Hasty. We could easily run with strictly undrafted free agents. Kyle shanahan somehow gets crazy production consistently from undrafted players.
I agree with this. The elephant in the room is still Juice. I know he's not a traditional fullback, but he's still overpaid. $6.4M, ouch.

Bottom line, we've got too much cap space invested in the group as a % of the cap and it's hindering other groups (IOL, CB, etc.). They need to trim the fat and have a serious discussion about investing such a large % of the cap for a position group that we seem to be able to get production out of no matter who is back there.
BREAKING NEWS... every GM/Coach to ever be employed by the NFL has passed on a HALL OF FAME player in the draft. Every single one of them.

For every Mahomes there is a

Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Rg3
EJ Manual
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Marcus Marriota
Jamie Winston
Mitch Trubisky

So lets not act like drafting a QB in the first round is going to solve our problems.

The 49ers are a walking hospital. There isn't a team in this league that is going to win with their top 6 players (Deebo, Mostert, Bosa, Sherman, Tartt, Ford) out and that's not to even mention their starting QB and the host of role players/backups that has missed time.

Stop trying to blame Shanny or anyone else in particular. It just wasn't our year.
Share 49ersWebzone