Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
^^^ These guys get it. Been a long time since we had an offensive oriented head coach of Shanahan's caliber in San Francisco. Health of important players permitting he will bring us another Super Bowl championship before the end of his first contract (if not the season).

i would be happy just to get to 8 wins

Bro 8 wins they'll be putting a shanny statue outside levis.

I can see Kyle in Dwight Clark's *the Catch* pose in bronze at 4949 marie p. DeBartolo way.
then we can remove all pictures of niner legends and just put up pictures of kyle . 6 wins . as grant said would be shocking. 8 wins. maybe i go to 9 sounds right to me. the 12 win thing. well, hope they are right and it will be fun to own up to being wrong
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Yessir its put up or shut up season.

i know we disagree on this as i think you think they are joined at the hip.. but i really think kyle gets a titch of a longer leash than lynch. kyle has done a decent job with the offense overall but lynch is just underwhelming to me
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
As much as I am Jim Harbaugh fan, at the college level, he's not beat Ohio. So Jim has his weaknesses and his blind spots just like any other coach does, but at least Kyle's not going in Harbaugh's direction of ignoring those issues. I think that's a good sign that Kyle's not plateaued or topped out yet and has a lot more ceiling than most people think. I still remember my frustration with the Roman Legion offense. Also Kyle's not saddled with a crap GM in Baalke. That's one advantage Kyle has over Jim.

oh,, i b***hed as much as anyone back then about games being harder to win than they should.. the super bowl thing made and makes me livid. delay of game calls etc... but we did impose our will on people and it was soo nice to just know that 98 per cent of the time. when we had a lead in the 4th quarter we would hold onto it and win, i also have given lynch props for dee. the new cb and new wr we have and hope they will be good players for us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
Harbs walked into a team with an elite front-7, 5 first round picks on the oline, and the Tony Montana squad. Iirc we won the field position battle virtually every game, our safeties injured the first five starting RBs were played, and only Beastmode scored a rushing touchdown

Also Fangio >>>>> Saleh.
but he knew where to put players .he had us ready to play games. the lions and eagles games were huge back then as we saw we can finish games. nolan and sing had those same guys but a coach who knows what to do with them makes all the difference. now kyle or lynch or both has me upset with this o line thing,. but as you said. the real issue is our dc acting like he has no clue what to do with players. my fear is he will do some crazy s**t and move buck to edge. . depending on who we draft at one, and trying to jam ward down our throats
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
^^^ These guys get it. Been a long time since we had an offensive oriented head coach of Shanahan's caliber in San Francisco. Health of important players permitting he will bring us another Super Bowl championship before the end of his first contract (if not the season).

I can see Kyle in Dwight Clark's *the Catch* pose in bronze at 4949 marie p. DeBartolo way.
then we can remove all pictures of niner legends and just put up pictures of kyle . 6 wins . as grant said would be shocking. 8 wins. maybe i go to 9 sounds right to me. the 12 win thing. well, hope they are right and it will be fun to own up to being wrong

12 wins and we'll have Kyle's face on flags at the stadium in addition to the statues. I think we have a shot at the playoffs if Jimmy stays healthy and we have a credible pass rush this year. If I'm wrong and we don't make the playoffs - my crow will taste worse than your crow.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
As much as I am Jim Harbaugh fan, at the college level, he's not beat Ohio. So Jim has his weaknesses and his blind spots just like any other coach does, but at least Kyle's not going in Harbaugh's direction of ignoring those issues. I think that's a good sign that Kyle's not plateaued or topped out yet and has a lot more ceiling than most people think. I still remember my frustration with the Roman Legion offense. Also Kyle's not saddled with a crap GM in Baalke. That's one advantage Kyle has over Jim.

oh,, i b***hed as much as anyone back then about games being harder to win than they should.. the super bowl thing made and makes me livid. delay of game calls etc... but we did impose our will on people and it was soo nice to just know that 98 per cent of the time. when we had a lead in the 4th quarter we would hold onto it and win, i also have given lynch props for dee. the new cb and new wr we have and hope they will be good players for us

That would be a very good draft if we get an elite Edge rusher, a good starting WR and a good starting cornerback. The Demarcus Cousin's injury reminds me of the Justin Smith torn peck injury. It really hampered our defense in the super bowl. I *hate* Jim's Bo Schembechler power run offense - specially when you are in the playoffs. Kyle's offense on the other hand is a playoff caliber scheme. Jim's tried to move on from that by getting Pep Hamilton and now he has a new OC, but clearly - as much as he has a great offensive background as a long time QB, I'm so not impressed with his offensive schemes and offensive creativity. His offense is really just a brute force offense. You can do that in college, but not the NFL.

he is a fine offensive mind. a fine offensive coordinator, i am fine with he as our coach but its crazy to me that people are proclaiming him to be better than jh or projecting he will be. people tend to gloss over the fact he is the head coach. the head of the rattlesnake and as much credit has he gets for reviving our offense last year with a third string qb... he needs to be held equally responsible for the bad pass defense we had last year and overall. bad defense in the last two years. there have been multiple games. especially on the road. where the team looked like they had no clue to start the game. the injury and youth excuse is not an excuse. i respect them but this talk of a 10 11 `12 win team is crazy to me. i will be happy to admit i am wrong. if we end up with 6 wins. i am sure. there will be many posters forgetting they said 12 wins or well,. it takes a full year for jimmy and jet to come back from their injuries so NEXT year will be the actual acid test. the teams of jh specialized in bringing out the worst in other teams. we have not done that since that era

Kyle has gone
6-10
4-12

What makes you think 6-10 was not his peak? I mean he is already heading the wrong direction.
  • All22
  • Veteran

That would be a very good draft if we get an elite Edge rusher, a good starting WR and a good starting cornerback. The Demarcus Cousin's injury reminds me of the Justin Smith torn peck injury. It really hampered our defense in the super bowl. I *hate* Jim's Bo Schembechler power run offense - specially when you are in the playoffs. Kyle's offense on the other hand is a playoff caliber scheme. Jim's tried to move on from that by getting Pep Hamilton and now he has a new OC, but clearly - as much as he has a great offensive background as a long time QB, I'm so not impressed with his offensive schemes and offensive creativity. His offense is really just a brute force offense. You can do that in college, but not the NFL.

That power run offense allowed us to let the defense rest... Which was super important because Fangio doesn't really sub along the dline.

Also minimized the amount of turnovers and let Alex Smith finally grow into the QB role by not having him try to do too much.
Harbs walked into a team with an elite front-7, 5 first round picks on the oline, and the Tony Montana squad. Iirc we won the field position battle virtually every game, our safeties injured the first five starting RBs were played, and only Beastmode scored a rushing touchdown

Also Fangio >>>>> Saleh.

Good post All22!

Absolute Truth.

That power run offense allowed us to let the defense rest... Which was super important because Fangio doesn't really sub along the dline.

Also minimized the amount of turnovers and let Alex Smith finally grow into the QB role by not having him try to do too much.

Vaild points.
Especially Fangio NOT rotating the DLine - they were worn out by the end of that season.

Not sure why one could be mad about the power run offense. We cannot ignore the fact that for the Longest, Frank Gore was everything. Niners were always a run first team. This eventually led to that term we called Alex Smith a QB game manager. My main difference is JH inherited HOF Caliber team and his coaching brought them up to the next level. KS inherited a team that was the worst run defense and players that aren't HOF but above average players. I do like how KS gets the best out of his players and puts them in position to succeed. I disliked that JH depended on his style too much and never fixed the delay of games and game day errors and ran that team to the ground by not plugging in the young guys as he only liked the vets to stay in. Trent Balke effd him over and that played a factor on certain players. Too many chances on ACL drafts and it didn't play out in our favor.
Lot of fans wanted just this. Fantasy points.

Winning is for losers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:

he is a fine offensive mind. a fine offensive coordinator, i am fine with he as our coach but its crazy to me that people are proclaiming him to be better than jh or projecting he will be. people tend to gloss over the fact he is the head coach. the head of the rattlesnake and as much credit has he gets for reviving our offense last year with a third string qb... he needs to be held equally responsible for the bad pass defense we had last year and overall. bad defense in the last two years. there have been multiple games. especially on the road. where the team looked like they had no clue to start the game. the injury and youth excuse is not an excuse. i respect them but this talk of a 10 11 `12 win team is crazy to me. i will be happy to admit i am wrong. if we end up with 6 wins. i am sure. there will be many posters forgetting they said 12 wins or well,. it takes a full year for jimmy and jet to come back from their injuries so NEXT year will be the actual acid test. the teams of jh specialized in bringing out the worst in other teams. we have not done that since that era

Kyle has gone
6-10
4-12

What makes you think 6-10 was not his peak? I mean he is already heading the wrong direction.

I think going backwards was losing Jimmy. Walsh and Seifert never lost their franchise QB. I think Kyle handled it fantastic and found another QB on the roster that can play QB and win some games for you.

I think finding a QB, let alone two QB's, that can play in the NFL is very difficult that only elite coaches can accomplish. If you are a head coach in the NFL and can't find a QB, your job is pretty much done. Because Kyle has Jimmy, he'll be here more than a couple more years, add in Mullens and he'll be here a while even if his won/loss is mediocre.

Having said that, I think his record this year will trend in the right direction. But considering my *great* reputation in predicting a playoff run when Jimmy gets hurt. Take it for what it's worth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Anything ball control will rest the defense. I just have a problem with a ball control run game in the age where the rules favor the pass. When your offense is based on a run first philosophy, it's not taking advantage of all the rules written for favoring the pass. He's just playing with one hand tied behind his back, when he doesn't have to. Is my point. Again, he's a great coach. Loved him when he was here. I still respect the heck out of him and what he did with a Joke of GM in Baalke basically weighing his tenure down like a lead anchor, but - he wasn't a perfect coach either.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Lot of fans wanted just this. Fantasy points.

Winning is for losers.

Unless draft position is involved. Then losing is for winners
Share 49ersWebzone