LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 313 users in the forums

Who can be our Jerry West?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jed shouldn't have to look to far for a great example of an ownership group. What the Warriors did in bringing in Jerry West - a widely respected executive who brought instant credibility.

Who would be our equivalent? I think in the NFL, - guy like Ron Wolf would be a parallel, which just adds context for how amazing the West addition was.

Bringing in a guy like Wolf from another franchise would be great, but I think we could also dip into our own history. John McVey is getting up there in years but would be a well respected voice. Or do we go with a former player, someone like Ronny Lott, Steve Young or Brent Jones?
In an ideal world, it wouldve been Walsh. But obviously that won't happen. York was trying to have one in Parcells but thats not happening. To me, it has to be someone with a passion for the niners. so a guy like Lott or Young would be perfect.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jed doesn't need anyone he and paraag know everything.
Originally posted by susweel:
Jed doesn't need anyone he and paraag know everything.

I know that is sarcastic, but it's seriously what is going through his head. Jed wants credit for fixing this thing, so he wants to be the one pulling the trigger in meetings. Sadly, knowing what you don't know, is one of those skills that comes from experience and maturity, and he doesn't have either.

But seriously, I'd want a guy like Lott or Young to be in all of these meetings to interview coaches / GMs. Feel like York missed the boat in not bringing that person in already.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Holmgren would be good.
Brent Jones

Steve Young is staying w/TV

Joe is happy where he is and has many other business interests

So Does Ronnie

So, IMO, Brent would be a fine choice.
I don't understand why fans think former HoF players have any skills in player evaluation.

Yes, Jerry West has it. But Michael Jordan also happens to be an owner, who is terrible at evaluating talent.

Can't just assume things, without knowing. Fans think it will work out just because it will.

First, getting a competent GM who doesn't bust on his draft picks would be a nice start.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Holmgren would be good.

why would Holmgren be good? I dont remember that he was good at all as a GM.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I don't understand why fans think former HoF players have any skills in player evaluation.

Yes, Jerry West has it. But Michael Jordan also happens to be an owner, who is terrible at evaluating talent.

Can't just assume things, without knowing. Fans think it will work out just because it will.

First, getting a competent GM who doesn't bust on his draft picks would be a nice start.

I'd tend to agree about that, but I don't think that's the job. We need someone who can advise on how to build a championship culture, and hire the right GM / Coach. Just thinking about a bunch of suits like Jed/Paraag being the only ones in the interview room with true football people makes me cringe.
Paraag East (indian)
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM ]

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Holmgren would be good.

why would Holmgren be good? I dont remember that he was good at all as a GM.

I'm thinking just as a figure head.
Jed York is our Jerry Lewis.
Before the 49ers snatch a supreme talent evaluator like the LOGO they need to get new ownership like that of J. Lacob and company.

the next step then is trying to find Jerry West
Who needs a Jerry West when you have clowns named Paraag, Jed, and Guido? This brain trust is the envy of the entire sports world.
Anyone with league credibility and respect like a Bill Polian would be nice. Unfortunately, Jed basically said in the press conference that he isn't going to get someone like that, because him and Paraag are more than qualified enough on their own.
Share 49ersWebzone