LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 262 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert Under Center!?!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think I may have discovered the issue with Blaine Gabbert after watching some of his highlights from last year and it appears that he is best functional playing under center and doing play action rollouts and bootlegs much like what the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos run.

[url]https://youtu.be/O4odaO79CTI[/url]

I would like to also mention that Kaepernick did well operating this system especially against the Giants and Ravens

Will Chip adjust his system to compensate?

Discuss...
Honestly they need to run with him under center. The run game does so much better in single back formation as well. Blaine can't run the zone read well enough for it to be effective.
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
I think I may have discovered the issue with Blaine Gabbert after watching some of his highlights from last year and it appears that he is best functional playing under center and doing play action rollouts and bootlegs much like what the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos run.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Glaine is best functional holding the clipboard.
The stats show this as well....last year, he completed 67% of his throws and had a rating of 117 under center. It fell to 77 out of the gun. This is playing out again this year.

Honesty I don't think chip changes. His offense is a 90-95% gun offense. The zone fake is so vital to his scheme. IMO, he changes QBs before changing offense.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Excellent discussion

Some videos would definitely help further this thoughtful and well created thread
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Niners816:
The stats show this as well....last year, he completed 67% of his throws and had a rating of 117 under center. It fell to 77 out of the gun. This is playing out again this year.

Honesty I don't think chip changes. His offense is a 90-95% gun offense. The zone fake is so vital to his scheme. IMO, he changes QBs before changing offense.

No defense has ever shut down Chip's offense like glaine has.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude can barely take a shotgun snap and deliver an accurate pass. You want him to now take a snap under center, drop back, locate defenders and try to deliver a pass?
I don't think it will let me post the links from youtube.com correctly

https://youtu.be/O4odaO79CTI

But if you go on there and look up Blaine Gabbert highlights you will see that many of his best plays were from under center including the game winner at Chicago

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

"In Blindfury the lock?"
Originally posted by Niners816:

Great info. Thanks for that!
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Yes put Blaine under center, might as well put him in every possible situation to succeed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
dude can barely take a shotgun snap and deliver an accurate pass. You want him to now take a snap under center, drop back, locate defenders and try to deliver a pass?

Lol

I know what you think but trust me on this Blaine is best in the Shannhan type offense

Just look at the youtube.com highlights.

Only thing Chip has to do it put him under center and have him rollout like kirk Cousins or Trevor Simenon and he can produce
I'll take a free post
Share 49ersWebzone