There are 123 users in the forums

Who is the 49ers best receiving option on the roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is the 49ers best receiving option on the roster?

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The guy who's open. So no one.
Originally posted by SoCold:
The guy who's open. So no one.

LOL!
We have no one that's what happens when ur gm doesn't draft well or spend any money
We need to rotate Streater and Burbridge in there. We need help for that crew. Just having Kerley, Patton and Smith not cutting it anymore. Was ok for 2 games, but NFL defense learns quickly. Same goes with the 'pass rush'

No way Patton a #2 WR. He would be a backup, part time role player receiver on any other team with decent receivers on their roster. Same with Kerley. He's a natural slot receiver, but shouldn't be full-time because he doesn't have the size.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:26 AM ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
You would think Torrey

torrey sucks

Yeah sure. He got 11 tds on Baltimore with flacco and a decent offense. He is probably the best deep threat in the league. Last year highest YPC. A PI magnet. It's not his fault he has no qb to throw to him. So does mike Wallace suck too??

Not even close to the best deep threat in the league. And yes, Mike Wallace does suck.
[ Edited by Dino on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:59 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by zinn:
Would like to see one game where we stretched the field every series. We lead the league in three and outs with this short underneath passing game. I'm sick of it and frankly surprised as can be this is what Chip Kelly is calling each game. In terms of attack and aggressiveness there is no difference so far between this Offense and Tomsula's last season. If you're going to lose, lose aggressively. I'd rather see 6 picks going downfield then this passive two runs and an underneath throw followed by a punt..

Hard to do if the QB isn't willing to do it.

How do we know it is the QB that is to blame?

We will know more when the all22 is out but from what we could see on the screen, it was rare that any receiver ran a deep route in Seattle, and when they did they were blanketed.

Unless you want to do it as a throwaway play, just tossing one deep has no function if you do not have a receiver that can beat the defender and win 50/50 balls.

Torrey Smith is our only deep threat and he is usually doubled.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by NCommand:
No Blaine Gabbert option?

No.

The only poll he should be on is "Who is the worst bust of all time?"

He's got great hands though...he can even catch his own passes!
  • dj43
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We need to rotate Streater and Burbridge in there. We need help for that crew. Just having Kerley, Patton and Smith not cutting it anymore. Was ok for 2 games, but NFL defense learns quickly. Same goes with the 'pass rush'

No way Patton a #2 WR. He would be a backup, part time role player receiver on any other team with decent receivers on their roster. Same with Kerley. He's a natural slot receiver, but shouldn't be full-time because he doesn't have the size.

Burbridge is interesting to me. He has size and the rep in college for winning 50/50 battles. Patton has shown he has neither the size/strength nor temperament to battle for the ball.

I haven't seen enough of Streater's play to have an opinion on him, however, the fact that someone his size was added to the roster tells me that Kelly/Baalke understand that is something we need. Too bad Eric Rogers got hurt. He seemed to fit the need.
Originally posted by dj43:
Burbridge is interesting to me. He has size and the rep in college for winning 50/50 battles. Patton has shown he has neither the size/strength nor temperament to battle for the ball.

I haven't seen enough of Streater's play to have an opinion on him, however, the fact that someone his size was added to the roster tells me that Kelly/Baalke understand that is something we need. Too bad Eric Rogers got hurt. He seemed to fit the need.

Also Smelter turned out to be a bust. We might have the weakest/smallest WR corps in the whole league.

Shoulda at least tried to keep Boldin.
Originally posted by dj43:
How do we know it is the QB that is to blame?

We will know more when the all22 is out but from what we could see on the screen, it was rare that any receiver ran a deep route in Seattle, and when they did they were blanketed.

Unless you want to do it as a throwaway play, just tossing one deep has no function if you do not have a receiver that can beat the defender and win 50/50 balls.

Torrey Smith is our only deep threat and he is usually doubled.

Maybe the reason why the WR's rarely ran a deep route is because the coaching staff knows that Gabbert isn't willing to throw them. It's not just this past game, it's been a knock on him going back to last year.

Throwing a ball deep, even if it's just a throw away play, can back the defense up off the line since it lets them know that you're willing to go over the top. You need to establish it though, which is the exact opposite of what we do.
[ Edited by linkboy on Sep 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM ]

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/26/is-it-time-for-49ers-to-make-changes-at-receiver/

The article talks about benching Patton and giving Streater and Burbridge a shot for the 3rd WR. I'm leaning that way as well. Chip should get one of those 2 guys or both more snaps. Kerley is doing fine but we need another possession type receiver who can get open. With both Celek and Vance banged up we have to start utilizing our WRs more. I know, I know, Gabbert can't throw to them anyway .. . But as many have said this season is still the extended preseason and Chip needs to look at all the options at WR to see if QB is the only issue.
Kelrley has been the one bright spot for me this year
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If you add a top FA WR and a top draft WR the core will be alright.

Top FA/Smith/Draft WR/Kerley/Burbridge
Might have to take Torrey off the list. Add who?
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Might have to take Torrey off the list. Add who?

Kaepernick. Man I wish I was kidding.
Share 49ersWebzone