There are 219 users in the forums

Jerry Azzinaro DL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Driew:
The D line is taking on blockers our ILBs are not getting their job done on a consistent basis since Bowman went down.

I think the issue is more that they aren't taking on blockers and playing gaps but rather shooting the gaps they are assigned and almost rushing the passer no matter the situation. M.Maicco had D.Brown on his podcast this week and they talked about the poor technique these guys are using...that's on coaching.
We need Tomsula back.
Nope. Singletary needs to drop his pants lmao.
This guy is certainly no Tomsula.....although it appeared Philly's Dline was wreaking havoc when he was there
Originally posted by zonkers:
49ers rank last in rush defense.
Is it just scheme or can Azz do better?

The D line is taking on blockers our ILBs are not getting their job done on a consistent basis since Bowman went down.

Say what
  • thl408
Needs more bludgeon.
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
This guy is certainly no Tomsula.....although it appeared Philly's Dline was wreaking havoc when he was there

Go look at the Browns defense last year. You see a lot of the same stuff with DL's being out of place or attacking the wrong gap. I think its largely due to O'Neil running a potato scheme.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Go look at the Browns defense last year. You see a lot of the same stuff with DL's being out of place or attacking the wrong gap. I think its largely due to O'Neil running a potato scheme.

Makes sense because I remember seeing Philly's DL consistently in the back field, blowing plays up, and it seemed like putting pressure on the QBs. Maybe I just couldn't stand Philly so everything good they did was magnified but I know their DL didn't seem this putrid. It probably is O'Neil and garbage ass scheme
  • Driew
  • Veteran
Makes sense because I remember seeing Philly's DL consistently in the back field, blowing plays up, and it seemed like putting pressure on the QBs. Maybe I just couldn't stand Philly so everything good they did was magnified but I know their DL didn't seem this putrid. It probably is O'Neil and garbage ass scheme

Yeah ideally Chip wants the 3-4 DL to read and react. Take up blockers and allow the LBs a free lane to the QB. Azzinaro was able to do that in Philly but right now this defense is waaaaaaay too complicated.

Yeah ideally Chip wants the 3-4 DL to read and react. Take up blockers and allow the LBs a free lane to the QB. Azzinaro was able to do that in Philly but right now this defense is waaaaaaay too complicated.

Good info. Isn't Buckner more of a penetrating 3-4 DE or was he just that good in college that he just happened to live in the backfield? He doesn't seem like the type to two-gap but I could definitely be wrong. I felt he would be perfect for O'Neil is wanting his DL to do, but maybe they are just overthinking it instead of reacting? Whatever it is, it looks horrible as did his Browns' Dlines

• jcs
  • Veteran
Good info. Isn't Buckner more of a penetrating 3-4 DE or was he just that good in college that he just happened to live in the backfield? He doesn't seem like the type to two-gap but I could definitely be wrong. I felt he would be perfect for O'Neil is wanting his DL to do, but maybe they are just overthinking it instead of reacting? Whatever it is, it looks horrible as did his Browns' Dlines

D.Brown in a podcast said that he is simply not disengaging and resetting as he rushes, by not doing so it takes him out of plays because professional lineman will just eat you up that way. Also mentioned leverage and how he and AA play too high like they did in college which also plays right into Olinemen's hands.
Good coach, bad coordinator
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It's amazing the selective memory on these boards. O'Neal is the clear problem, people blaming DL coach, bowman injury... the dl and overall run defense was ineffective @panthers and @seattle, may i dare say just as bad as it is now. No ILB can do this scheme consistently, not bow this year or dansby last year at the browns.
  • Driew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
D.Brown in a podcast said that he is simply not disengaging and resetting as he rushes, by not doing so it takes him out of plays because professional lineman will just eat you up that way. Also mentioned leverage and how he and AA play too high like they did in college which also plays right into Olinemen's hands.

Yeah Buckner was able to just bull rush most of the OL in college. He's adjusting to the NFL--I'm sure he'll be fine after an offseason of training.
I'd blame O'Neil before Azzinaro. We've seen an Azzinaro unit perform well.
Share 49ersWebzone