LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 175 users in the forums

What is the Plan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Harbaugh wasn't liked by players. Ask Jay Glazer.

And THAT is why we got Tomsula.
Originally posted by E-49er:
This article on a Takeo Spikes interview makes sense about the reason free agents have not come here. Basically Colin not wanting to play for the team and Chips questionable relationship with players. I have to agree. I think there was a plan for free agency but now I think they winging it since no one wants to sign.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/3/13/11216528/takeo-spikes-on-the-49ers-stunted-free-agency-activity

A sobering reality! That just confirms everything people have been speculating. It go to show that Baalke needs to go and the elder Yorks really need to get Jed out of there and replace him with a real football guy. The FO culture needs to change and it cannot change with Baalke and Dork at the top of the FO. So long as they are running the team we're gonna be in the dark ages because no top FA will want to come play for the 49ers.
Looking at it from a purely unbiased point of view, I think the plan is to see the team with the coaching staff first so they can see what they really need.

Guys that sucked under Tomsula might pass as NFL players under Chip, and visa versa.

As one example, under Chip his first year, Foles had 22-2 TD/INT rate. Last year with the Rams he was benched

Silly to spend a lot of money on players until you really know what you need. My guess is they start signing some fill in guys after the team gets in front of the coaches in April
These may turn out to be famous last words, but I am actually fairly pleased at our approach so far.

The last time we "won" the FA was 2007, and that didn't work out. Yes, a couple of years afterwards we secured Justin Smith as a premium FA who proved great, but he stands alone. The other overpriced FAs we have ever brought over (well, since the Dark Ages started, let's not go back to the Young era) usually underperformed: Clements, Franklin, that spinning-top pass-rusher whose name now escapes me, Torrey Smith. And that's just our experience: how many time has Washington or Tampa Bay "won" the FA, and what happened to them once the real bullets started flying? Now, this doesn't mean that we will be any good next year, just that I'm happy to just waste cap space just because it's there. The premium FAs are all obviously overpriced. A few may pan out in their new places. Most, I suspect, won't. We will sign a few once the craziness dies down. Will they be any good? Perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. But at least their contracts won't cripple us for years if they do turn out to be the new Albert Haynesworths.

I like the fact we resigned Ian, who's a proven contributor for us. I also like the fact that we're staring down Kaepernick. I personally would like us to bring him back, but if we do trade him I'd like us to get a good enough return. I suspect that his side will blink first, but let's see.
[ Edited by paulk205 on Mar 14, 2016 at 7:04 AM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
Niners missed out on some good players, Even the FA's with bay area ties either passed or were not offered

I was wrong when I expected them to "make a statement" by bringing in some talent,
and showing the fans that this team was headed towards arrow up status

Now i get the feeling Baalke is looking to pick up guys that wont affect the comp picks
and/or trying to roll that cap space into '17, yes they have to use 89%, but thats over a 4 year period

They only positive I can garner, is that it could be the last time Baalke does it
I cant see Jed being on board with the timid attempt to improve.
Jarryd hanye , j ward ,cromartie , tartt , b thomas ,d johnson ,tank carradine ,trent brown , patton , smelter ,eli harold ,acker and deandre white . the plan centers around all these guys and afew other young guys . Lets see what we got . Evaluate and then move forward . Give em starting roles and identify whos a keeper and whos not and then fill the holes from there . Although id like to have seen afew names signed i must admit alot of these guys need a chance to sink or swim . Other noteable is , with a full draft class we become a college team basically with very few older vets who may not get with kellys program .The young kids and draft class will do whatever kelly says they will be happy just to see the field and no one will question kellys program . Gonna be a long year no doubt .3 TO 5 win season ahead and we get another good place in the next draft .
The 49ers and Browns are kindred spirits. The plan is to be as Cleveland as we can possibly be. Two of the worst organizations in all of professional sports skipping down the road to nowhere while holding hands.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Iupati77:
I thought we would make atleast 1 big splash, then filter in a blend of solid lunch pale type of players.

That's typically what Baalke has done. Spend some cash on 1 good player, sprinkle in some other guys for depth. Not this year. So far the only guy we've added is Thad Lewis. It's odd.

Clearly the focus has been on re-signing some of our own. Williams, Dial, Celek, Draughn, Dawson..etc. That's great, and we have the draft coming up, but we also need to make some veteran additions to help this team win and get back on track. Either free agents don't want to come here, or we don't want to pony up the cash to bring them here.

He has never had a roster that was so barren of talent.

I knight thee, Lord Balke, baron of talent!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The plan is to save money and never question the Yorks.

Question them all you want, they're not going anywhere.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
A plan this is the team that tried to trade Harbaugh after the NFCC game against Seattle. Had the whole incident become public before the regular season started. Then at the beginning of the season knew Harbaugh wouldn't return unless he won SuperBowl. They had an entire year and a half to find a replacement coach and we hired Tomsula.

They have no idea on how to proceed with the QB position should we trade Kap should we keep him. No can't figure that out either.

Should we hire Gase ok but we need to keep Tomsula. Ok Gase doesn't want to do that ok then just make Tomsula HC.

Please don't be naive about Jed and Trent. The rep around the league on this regime is bad, very, very bad. There is a reason why we hired Tomsula, they is a reason we hired Chip and didn't get Hue , and there is a reason players are avoiding this team. It's called BAD MANAGEMENT.
[ Edited by nj9er on Mar 14, 2016 at 8:40 AM ]

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
plan?

Originally posted by Judge82Dredd:
Go for players where the draft isn't strong.
Wide receiver
Mike Wallace
Percy Harvin would be cool but the guy as a lot off the field baggage
Marques Colston

At this point I'd like to bring in an older vet or two. I know we don't want to block the development of our young core but we need some veteran leadership. At this point I'd just love to bring Boldin back at WR but Colston wouldn't be horrible as a red zone threat.
I understand people saying the plan is money. But, damn, don't they hear the cries and complaints? Doesn't Denise, John, and Jed hear the comments that people don't want to come and play for the 49ers, that we are a laughing stock?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Clearly, the plan is to react, and then present the reaction as their actual 'plan'. There is no respect for the fans of this organization by the team management.
Share 49ersWebzone