LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 139 users in the forums

Who do you think should quarterback Chip Kelly's offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you think should quarterback Chip Kelly's offense?

Whoever is the best QB in camp.
Way to go Phoenix,,,say it as it is. Nice clips from media too, plus chip's own quote.

NC, with our TEs and Miller, we seem to have the strength not where chip would like it. My guess was that he either plays our TEs as WRs and uses miller as a WR. Obviously he can also design plays for TEs and FB. Miller can catch and our TEs are all good receviers and yes i put McD in that group too. He was not a good receiver with kap, however. I don't think he ever learned how to catch the high hard one from 5 yrds out.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Or he redefines himself as a very deadly threat at QB and gets us winning again. Can't worry about his contract if we are winning. If Kap wins the spot, then all power to him. Can't worry about the money if we have the best QB who Chip feels can get us wins.

Just don't see it happening for many reasons. Don't see him as a good fit at all in Kelly's offense. What Kelly has said throughout the years that he values in a QB over everything else is "repetitive accuracy." A QB that throws a good ball, a consistently accurate ball and puts it in a place where the receiver can gain the most yards with.

Jeff McLane ‎@Jeff_McLane Just because Colin Kaepernick can run doesn't mean he's Chip Kelly's ideal QB. Kelly values repetitive accuracy above all for the position.

Howard Eskin ‎@howardeskin Despite reports Chip kelly did not want to trade for #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick. Chip was not a fan while with #eagles @FOX29philly

"In this league, you've got to be able to throw the football. And that's the first skill set that we're looking for. Repetitive accuracy is the number one quality we're looking for in a quarterback."-Chip Kelly

Kaepernick ain't bout dat precision passing life. You need someone with quick feet, a quick release and good accuracy, not a guy with clunky feet and a long delivery that struggles to throw anything less than a 90mph fastball to receivers 10 yards away.

Call me a hater, I don't care, I'm just looking at Kaepernick's skillset and I don't see it. Kaepernick needs to be in a vertical passing offense, with a top-notch pass-blocking OL in front of him and plenty of burners at WR. He needs to be able to drop back and have multiple targets to throw to deep downfield, leading to big splash plays which can negate his lack of accuracy. In short, Kaepernick needs to play for a guy like Bruce Arians to be successful.

Kelly runs the WCO on meth pretty much. You need a guy who can make quick decisions and quick, accurate passes. Until Kelly gets that guy, I think he will struggle to fully implement his offense in the NFL.

Colin did show great accuracy in his first year of starting. I'm just saying, I agree with your points, but if Kelly picks Colin, I will be excited either way because that means Kelly will use Colin a little differently than he has been used in the last two years.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Way to go Phoenix,,,say it as it is. Nice clips from media too, plus chip's own quote.

NC, with our TEs and Miller, we seem to have the strength not where chip would like it. My guess was that he either plays our TEs as WRs and uses miller as a WR. Obviously he can also design plays for TEs and FB. Miller can catch and our TEs are all good receviers and yes i put McD in that group too. He was not a good receiver with kap, however. I don't think he ever learned how to catch the high hard one from 5 yrds out.

Right on que.

Miller's place -- Chip Kelly never carried a fullback on his roster in Philadelphia, preferring instead to have extra wide receivers. So what does that man for Bruce Miller, the 49ers' fullback since 2011?

"I think Chip's no different than any other coach -- when you have a good player, you find a way to utilize him," Baalke said. "... And I think that's the mindset moving forward. Like any good football coach, they're going to evolve. And they're going to use the talent at their disposal to the best of their ability."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article62197637.html#storylink=cpy

In short, Baalke is saying if our TE's and RB's (including FB) are strengths of this team, he expects Chip to adapt to the personnel he has.
Colin did show great accuracy in his first year of starting. I'm just saying, I agree with your points, but if Kelly picks Colin, I will be excited either way because that means Kelly will use Colin a little differently than he has been used in the last two years.

He lost his confidence in 2015. Once he gets his confidence back, he should be good again with his accuracy. Right now he's too afraid to get a pick to get good accurate placement on the ball. Can't second guess yourself trying to throw into an NFL window.

More than anything, his first 2 years was see the open guy, throw to the open guy. He's not open. He's not open. He's open. Throw.

It masked his inability to read coverage consistently. And gives the allusion of reading coverage and progression. But it takes a bit more time in the pocket to do that.

Now with a bad oline and lost of confidence. It's more like, he's covered. He looks open, but Mathieu might swoop in. I think I should bail.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 25, 2016 at 7:40 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Completing 62.4% of his passes is showing "great" accuracy?
Brandon Doman
Originally posted by Jcool:

throwing a % out there doesn't show what happened in those games
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

And just saying something doesn't make it true.

And just saying something doesn't make it true.
2012 he was on fire and had accuracy, how isn't it true ?

2013 and 2014 was good
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:27 AM ]

2013 and 2014 was good

I think accuracy should be looked at with yards-per-attempt. For instance in 2012, he completed 62% of passes, which isn't among the league leaders, but he also averaged 8+ yards per attempt, which is awesome. I'll take that over a QB who completes in the high 60's but only averages 7 yards per attempt.

Kap needs to get back to that 8 ypa mark. 62% is more than acceptable if you're hitting that mark, especially when you're throwing intermediate/deep often. Kelly's offense has a lot of short routes, so he needs to improve timing and anticipation there. But it's also an offense that loves to go vertical and take shots.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

2013 and 2014 was good

I think accuracy should be looked at with yards-per-attempt. For instance in 2012, he completed 62% of passes, which isn't among the league leaders, but he also averaged 8+ yards per attempt, which is awesome. I'll take that over a QB who completes in the high 60's but only averages 7 yards per attempt.

Kap needs to get back to that 8 ypa mark. 62% is more than acceptable if you're hitting that mark, especially when you're throwing intermediate/deep often. Kelly's offense has a lot of short routes, so he needs to improve timing and anticipation there. But it's also an offense that loves to go vertical and take shots.
consider that most other QBs use their RBs as receiving threats. which is a higher % pass and easy completion even when it goes for a loss of yards
consider that most other QBs use their RBs as receiving threats. which is a higher % pass and easy completion even when it goes for a loss of yards

True, and we can actually do better in getting the RB more involved in the passing game. Would love to get a Sproles-style scatback that can fill that role in Kelly's offense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:

2013 and 2014 was good

I like YPA more than completion % too, but I don't think there's a statistic out there that captures true passing accuracy. If a QB drops back to pass and hits the WR for a 9 yard gain, that's great in the boxscore, but if it forced the WR to catch the ball behind him and kills any chance of RAC, that context is lost. We've all heard the audio of Walsh drilling into his QBs, "one foot in front of the numbers!", when instructing the QB about ball placement. Many of the routes in Walsh's offense required the QB to hit the WR while the WR was on the run, in full stride, to maximize the gain on the play. I see the same in Chip's offense. I think he will demand the same from his QBs.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

More than anything, his first 2 years was see the open guy, throw to the open guy. He's not open. He's not open. He's open. Throw.

It masked his inability to read coverage consistently. And gives the allusion of reading coverage and progression.

The problem is that you cant operate that way in Kelly's offense. He legitimately would have to be able to read coverage quickly and consistently.
Share 49ersWebzone