LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 224 users in the forums

Who do you think should quarterback Chip Kelly's offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you think should quarterback Chip Kelly's offense?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
The problem with Kap is more his contract than anything else. Say he stays and then doesn't win the job, is the FO really gonna be okay with a QB making 14 Mil sitting on the bench? I don't know if I'd want to take that chance if I were Baalke.

I'd be fine with Gabbert and Carson Wentz.

The Redskins did that this year, no?
No, before this past season they picked up the 5th year option on Griffin which pays him $16 mil for 2016 if he is on the roster or is injured. Per his rookie deal he made $6.7 mil last year (2015 season) for year 4. The Redskins can just cut him to not pay the $16 mil, which is pretty obvious that he will be waived.
[ Edited by BobS on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:58 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Goff

its just me but i think a want for a first round quarterback is not as great as the need for a elite pass rusher and offensive lineman in the first two rounds
Originally posted by cciowa:
its just me but i think a want for a first round quarterback is not as great as the need for a elite pass rusher and offensive lineman in the first two rounds

When you dont have a quarterback, the need for one overrides everything else. Unless the coaching staff is convinced by one of the two QBs on the roster, there is no time better than the present to get a guy if you think he can be a franchise type QB.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
He is a lesser Kaep. The guy is doing the exact same things Colin has done over the years, including the slow reads and early take offs.
Exactly, and that is a highlight film. College defenses seem notoriously bad these days compared to the offenses. A lot of his runs were straight up the middle where he took off so fast I doubt he even looked at his first read. The middle of the field isn't going to open up like that within one second in the NFL. Also most of those highlight throws were to guys that were open by a country mile. His running style will get him killed in the NFL. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl, I bet that bumps him to the second round and he isn't worth that risk. Of course QB is the hardest position to draft for in the NFL. Either a guy was playing in a gimmick offense, or playing pro style like USC with 5 seconds to throw to guys that get 2 yards on a DB within 1.5 seconds.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
i see no advantage kap has over gabbert at this point

Kelly runs a lot of read option but in his system, the QB is key. He was stuck at Philly with Bradford who runs like he has a piano on his back. Kap will excel in this system.

Ron:
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

When you dont have a quarterback, the need for one overrides everything else. Unless the coaching staff is convinced by one of the two QBs on the roster, there is no time better than the present to get a guy if you think he can be a franchise type QB.

neither qb is garbage . ck has shown some outstanding things so far in his career, gabbert showed great potential and leadership in a small body of work. i think that is a good place to start. I think because of that, you fix the woefully in adequate pass rush and the horrid o line and you can still find a qb in the third round. you and i disagree on this but it will not be the first time we have on issues
  • BobS
  • Veteran

neither qb is garbage . ck has shown some outstanding things so far in his career, gabbert showed great potential and leadership in a small body of work. i think that is a good place to start. I think because of that, you fix the woefully in adequate pass rush and the horrid o line and you can still find a qb in the third round. you and i disagree on this but it will not be the first time we have on issues
Under the passer rating system one was 27th, the other 31st this year. If that isn't garbage I don't know what is. We haven't had a Pro Bowl QB in a dozen years and I think it has caused a lot of fans here to grade on a curve. Who cares who wins a Kap vs Gab pre-season battle next season, there are few teams where the winner of that battle would be considered an upgrade. The league rules and enforcement keep favoring the passing game more and more each year, 6 QBs over 100 in passer rating and two more at 99 and change, 12 guys throw for over 4,000 in the 2015 season.
To have long term steady success a team needs a top 10 or better QB and the 49ers need to keep digging till they find one.
Well, I'm in cc's camp but have already made my preference known. It is just a difference of opinion w/ Phoenix, but in a few short months we will see who was more in line with Baalkes nad Chips thinking. Baalkes, primarily, but chip will have his input.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:10 AM ]

Gabbert is a backup at best. Kaepernick has failed to make any meaningful progress as a passer in 5 seasons. In the NFL if you dont have a QB, you arent winning. Look at the Rams and Texans. Talent all across the roster but the lack of a franchise QB means they are going to struggle to be consistent.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:29 AM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Got to give kap a chance, could be huge or he could bust. Either way if we draft a qb I think he should sit while we give kap a chance.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Under the passer rating system one was 27th, the other 31st this year. If that isn't garbage I don't know what is. We haven't had a Pro Bowl QB in a dozen years and I think it has caused a lot of fans here to grade on a curve. Who cares who wins a Kap vs Gab pre-season battle next season, there are few teams where the winner of that battle would be considered an upgrade. The league rules and enforcement keep favoring the passing game more and more each year, 6 QBs over 100 in passer rating and two more at 99 and change, 12 guys throw for over 4,000 in the 2015 season.
To have long term steady success a team needs a top 10 or better QB and the 49ers need to keep digging till they find one.

you give our quarterbacks better coaching and a better line you will see better results. why is it so tragic to keep both, sign another vet and draft a nice qb in round three and let em all battle it out?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Gabbert is a backup at best. Kaepernick has failed to make any meaningful progress as a passer in 5 seasons. In the NFL if you dont have a QB, you arent winning. Look at the Rams and Texans. Talent all across the roster but the lack of a franchise QB means they are going to struggle to be consistent.
two years ago when we went 8-8, the head coach at the time lost all interest in working with ck in my opinion plus ck never had anyone pushing him. last year we saw what type of coaching every player on our team had.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

you give our quarterbacks better coaching and a better line you will see better results. why is it so tragic to keep both, sign another vet and draft a nice qb in round three and let em all battle it out?
Sorry, but I have seen enough and don't share your eternal optimism. You could reincarnate Bill Walsh to coach the QBs and Bobb McKittrick to assemble and coach the line and you aren't going to get the top tier QB play that it takes in today's NFL to be a perennial contender from what is on the current roster. There are glaring flaws that a Pop Warner coach could spot, something is missing that coaching can't fix. i don't care how much cap space the 49ers have paying $11 mil or whatever to a guy beat out by a $2 mil retread scrub is a major waste of resources. I wouldn't draft just one QB, I would get two. I don't know who is out there free agent wise but I would spend that $11 mil on someone who can rush the QB.

Sorry, but I have seen enough and don't share your eternal optimism. You could reincarnate Bill Walsh to coach the QBs and Bobb McKittrick to assemble and coach the line and you aren't going to get the top tier QB play that it takes in today's NFL to be a perennial contender from what is on the current roster. There are glaring flaws that a Pop Warner coach could spot, something is missing that coaching can't fix. i don't care how much cap space the 49ers have paying $11 mil or whatever to a guy beat out by a $2 mil retread scrub is a major waste of resources. I wouldn't draft just one QB, I would get two. I don't know who is out there free agent wise but I would spend that $11 mil on someone who can rush the QB.

I don't feel quite as assured that Kaep can't be fixed, but I do agree that your assessment is probably going to be right. So if they part ways, there will be no argument from me on it. I feel that Gabbert can do what Kaep can, and clearly, for much less money.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Tittle (Before my time, 4x Pro Bowler as 49er)
Brodie (When I became a fan, 2x Pro Bowler)
Montana (HOF)
Young (HOF)
Garcia (3x Pro Bowler as 49er)

Sorry, but I believe in tradition. Time to find a QB worthy of putting on that list, especially the way the rules and their interpretation favors the passing attack more and more each year.
Share 49ersWebzone