LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 299 users in the forums

Head Coach candidate Tom Coughlin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can just hear the crowds now, instead of yelling "De-Fense" it will be "De-Pends"
Baalke concluded the interview taking blood pressure and vitals. Just to make sure nothing bad happens if he runs a presser in the next week.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Originally posted by dj43:
That is key. I remember how the Yorks waited to hire Nolan until there was nothing left.

We have already lost out on one guy that went with the coach the 49ers tried to hire last year but screwed up. Adam Gase hired Chris Foerster.

Funny that.

I don't know if I would consider Foerster a loss. I liked him coming in to the season but any guy that would vouch for a combination of Pears & Devey needs to exit the building!

I concur.

Absolutely agree 100%. Half the battle is knowing when to pull the plug. Foerster supporting Devey and Pears is three strikes all at once to me. Tomsula not doing anything about it was just as bad.

Amen to that brother!

Absolutely the most frustrating thing to me was the stubbornness these "coaches" exhibited this season.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Take with grain of salt:

Doug Moore ‏@DMooreNFL 49s49 seconds ago

I'm told #49ers are "focusing their efforts" on former #Giants HC Tom Coughlin. He gets along w/ players well & has a ton of exp. #NFL

Lol now they want experience instead of hiring a guy that looks like he manages a struggling Little Caesars
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
I can just hear the crowds now, instead of yelling "De-Fense" it will be "De-Pends"

Good one!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not accurate.

When Bill Walsh was HC it was the reverse

They knocked the 49ers out of the playoffs in 1985 and 1986, as well as winning the NFCCG in 1990(Seifert).

Parcells was their biggest nemesis.
Biggest nemesis agreed BUT they didn't own us.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My top choice is still Hue Jackson, but a Coughlin/McAdoo or DeFilippo pairing would be cool too. Got our succession plan in place when Coughlin retires probably sometime in the next 4-5 years.

This makes the most sense.

McAdoo is still under contract so that'd have to be worked out.
My top choice is still Hue Jackson, but a Coughlin/McAdoo or DeFilippo pairing would be cool too. Got our succession plan in place when Coughlin retires probably sometime in the next 4-5 years.

Sounds like we really liked Deflippo. Curious how Coughlin feels about him. McAdoo seems closer to a HC job so maybe Deflippo is the better option for a successor
Do you think he is gonna draft Goff?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
Do you think he is gonna draft Goff?

won't even be on the board when we pick, so no. That meaningless win against the rams, wasn't so meaningless.

I think the only team that owned us during the dynasty run (81-98) was Holmgrens packer teams. We where 1-5 vs them...,now it was a nice win, but I think with out loses to Mike in that time we win titles in 1995 and 1997.
  • Jason
  • Veteran
It seems like musical chairs. If it stops and we only have Kelly or Shanahan I'm still ok with that.
I like Coughlin but I think we really need a guy whose forte is developing QBs. if he has the right OC that will help.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
won't even be on the board when we pick, so no. That meaningless win against the rams, wasn't so meaningless.

Going from 5 to 7 hurt in the sense that we have less power to trade up, but as far as the Ravens and Jaguars picking before us now, I don't think that changes anything. If Goff is off the board by 7, it'll be because Cleveland picked him at 2.
Will shoot for Coughlin, won't get him. Will settle on Shanahan.
Share 49ersWebzone